Printing from an En note which copied a web page

If I paste a note from a modern internet page, it is filled with leading (about leading) and/or extra line spacing. Sometimes, with quite a bit of work, I can get rid of all the excess white space in the Evernote note, at least for me to look at. (I don't want ANY leading or trailing spaces).

However, when I print the note to paper, a lot of that white space comes back.

What I could most do with is a Remove Formatting which works.

Note: I think this is related to cell phones, which is just fine for cell phones. But Evernote needs to comprehend that those of us with large monitors have them EXPLICITLY so that we can see a lot of stuff on the monitor, and all that white space is achieving the OPPOSITE result. Grrr.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, TdeV said:

If I paste a note from a modern internet page, it is filled with leading (about leading) and/or extra line spacing. Sometimes, with quite a bit of work, I can get rid of all the excess white space in the Evernote note, at least for me to look at. (I don't want ANY leading or trailing spaces).

However, when I print the note to paper, a lot of that white space comes back.

What I could most do with is a Remove Formatting which works.

Note: I think this is related to cell phones, which is just fine for cell phones. But Evernote needs to comprehend that those of us with large monitors have them EXPLICITLY so that we can see a lot of stuff on the monitor, and all that white space is achieving the OPPOSITE result. Grrr.

For the page(s) in question does it work the same with copy/paste, EN clipper article or EN clipper simplified article?

• Like 1

Also did you try simplify formatting before you tried removing formatting?

Capturing a web page via the browser extension (Web Clipper) lets you experiment with the options for Article, Simplified Article, or Full Page. The clipper works great in 90% of cases. In the worst case, I have to do a Full Page clip. The result looks good on the Win client but can sometimes be hard to read on the Evernote phone app (probably because Full Page captures formatting that isn't meant for phones or small tablets. But, that problem is rare. I never have to remove white-space after using EN's Web Clipper browser extension.

The clipper even lets you clip just the selected part of a Web page, although I haven't used that much. Maybe this is what you want, instead of using the browser's select -> copy -> paste in to EN?

When I say works great, bear in mind that I don't think I've ever tried printing the EN note that I clipped. But it should work. Worse case, EN saves a link to the original page so you can go back there and see if there's a print-friendly version of the page. Then print that, or, capture that and print later.

There's no perfect solution because Web pages vary so much in how they're formatted. In spite of that, the Web Clipper is one of the things EN does REALLY well so get to know it if you haven't already.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

@CalS, sorry for my delayed response, I've been o.o. town.

For printing an En note, the same problem exists whether I use web clipper for either an article or simplified article.

(First, I'd like to stipulate that browsers format text differently depending whether the line represents a type of heading or line of text.)

Once the En has been created, then Control + space to simplify formatting. In general, the text changes to "single spaced", though "headings" are spaced differently. Then I hunt and peck deleting HTML and headings until what I see on screen (desktop) looks "single spaced".

BUT, it doesn't print single-spaced.

So there are two problems here:
- that I have to do all that nit picky deleting of invisible HTML which makes the wonky spacing, and,
- sometimes that doesn't remove pre-determined "heading" behaviour anyway (i.e. doesn't work, in spite of the effort).

@John in Michigan USA, I'm communicating about something that doesn't work via "simplify formatting".

• Level 5

I just had one of my infrequent brilliant insights. I used the Web beta editor to open a note that had been clipped from the Web and had header styling near the top. Unlike the current Windows program, the Web beta knows from headers. I selected the text, and the leftmost element of the formatting toolbar showed it as styled "Large header." Clicking on that, I selected the option to "Apply 'Normal text.'" Voilà! The header formatting was removed, and it was normal text--and appeared as such (Tahoma 10 pt) in the Windows program. From now on, this will be my go-to in reformatting clipped Web pages, until the same function is available in the Windows and (pleeeease) Android apps.

• Like 2