Using Evernote Across Different Platforms

Hey, I am currently using Evernote on my Android phone and my PC laptop.  I'm looking into getting an iPad.  I know that I need to upgrade from Basic to have three devices on my account.  My question is, will I have problems using Apple, Android and PC devices on the same account?  Will they all "get along"?

• Level 5

Hi, and welcome to the forums. I can't actually speak from experience, since I've only used Windows and Android versions of Evernote (and the Web client). But if you're working fine in both Android and Windows, you shouldn't have any difficulties using iOS as well, beyond the likelihood that the interface and editor will function a bit differently. I'm sure others here can tell you from experience that it works.

Basically, the devices don't have to "get along" with each other at all. Each of them independently syncs your notes to the Evernote servers, where the master copies exist. The app on each device knows how to do that sync and interpret and display the data within its own operating environment. You can do some formatting on some devices that you can't do on others; but in my experience, the formatting displays more or less correctly even on devices where it can't be created. E.g., in the Windows program, as you know, you can change the typeface, size, and color of text, and these show up on Android, even though you can't make those changes there. I'd expect similar phenomena adding an iPad to the mix.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 11/8/2019 at 12:05 PM, marti.grant said:

Hey, I am currently using Evernote on my Android phone and my PC laptop.  I'm looking into getting an iPad.  I know that I need to upgrade from Basic to have three devices on my account.  My question is, will I have problems using Apple, Android and PC devices on the same account?  Will they all "get along"?

Your data will be fine on all the devices, get in the habit of syncing whenever you enter/leave a device.  Per @Dave-in-Decatur the get along has to do with your getting used to the differences in the interfaces.  I use EN on Windows, Mac, web, and IOS on both phone and tablet.  Not that hard to wrangle.  I tend to do any heavy lifting on the desktop, Windows mostly since I am most familiar with it and I think the tool set is better than the Mac.  IOS is more look up with some entry (like when I'm at the gym recording a workout).  IOS isn't really geared to easily getting things done for my use case at least.

• 1 year later...

I've noticed a Quirk and haven't been able to document it via Men's suggested analysis (too involved for me,) but when my wife sends me a grocery list from her iPhone I copy and paste it into EN on my Android then proceed to place a carriage return after each line to make it easier to read for my old eyes. But EN strips the CR out when it syncs the note. It doesn't do that on list I create on my Android or PC, so I suspect Apple uses a different CR than the rest of the world. 

• Thanks 1