Annotating PDFs in external app

Hi,

So I'm sure we'll all agree that the native options to highlight PDFs in Evernote are laughable, with the semi-transparent squiggley line overlays. I've tried various external apps that do the job much better (Xodo being my favourite) but I can't figure out how to get Evernote to accept the changes and update the existing file in the note. 

Is there some new workaround to this that I haven't spotted in the forums?

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, zigzagwanderer said:

I can't figure out how to get Evernote to accept the changes and update the existing file in the note. 

The Windows/Mac platforms handle this so perfectly, and completely transparent to the user   
The mobile platforms handle this so poorly

I'm working on an iPad; I suspect the steps are not do-able in Android

1. Export/Copy/Share the pdf to the external app for editing
  2. Save the updated pdf to the device file system
  3. In the Evernote note; delete the old pdf and replace with the updated pdf (drag and drop)
  • Level 5*

As @DTLow - PDF files are not available to third-party apps until downloaded separately from Evernote;  so you're editing a new version of the attached file.  To put 'back' in the note,  you need to save the edited content,  then move it back into the note.  You may find it quicker to rename the edited version as <filename>(1).PDF or some such and just add it to the existing note (ie don;t bother deleting the last version),  Older versions can be cleared out later if necessary...

• Level 5
10 hours ago, DTLow said:

The Windows/Mac platforms handle this so perfectly, and completely transparent to the user   
The mobile platforms handle this so poorly

I'm working on an iPad; I suspect the steps are not do-able in Android

1. Export/Copy/Share the pdf to the external app for editing
  2. Save the updated pdf to the device file system
  3. In the Evernote note; delete the old pdf and replace with the updated pdf (drag and drop)

Sounds right, except for "not do-able in Android." Assuming you have the external editing app (I have one called Write on PDF), this is exactly how to do it on Android as well. You can't drag and drop the edited PDF into the note (at least not on a phone), but you can always go through the Evernote Attach dialog.