Hotlink shortcut ctrl+k

Chrome intercepts the shortcut key ctrl+k and so I have no way of quickly adding a hyperlink to my notes. This is a feature I've used in other web apps like Google Docs, OneNote, and Dropbox Paper, but have no luck with Evernote.

Is there any way Evernote can prevent Chrome from intercepting ctrl + k so I can add a links fast?

• Level 5

I don't think it's Chrome. Ctrl+K doesn't insert a hyperlink in Opera either. Some Web apps, as you've observed, have this hotkey and some don't. Comcast's Webmail composition app has it, in my same Opera browser. I too hope that Evernote will eventually add it in!

• Level 5*

Hi.  What sort of link are you trying to add?  If it's a straightforward http:// link,  then - as you probably know - there's no need to insert the link behind the text,  Evernote will just recognize it from the context.  Ctrl+K is only required if you're going to hide the URL like this.  (Which,  if you didn't try it yet,  just links back to this page!).

I tend to add the full URL in my own notes,  because it's easier to copy and paste from there;  I also do that in shared notes,  because these days a harmless-looking link can take you to unexpected places,  and cynics like me tend to check exactly what's underneath a hidden link before clicking it.

If it's really important to show an inline link,  you may find that creating the link in an app in which Ctrl+K works,  then copying and pasting that inline link into a note,  will give you the result you want.

Agreed it would just be easier if Evernote web allowed it directly,  but that's not likely to be a major priority in the medium term...

I'm referring specifically to the type of hyperlinks like this.

To rephrase my question, why doesn't the web app follow the convention from the desktop app? The shortcut documentation does say ctrl + K adds hyperlinks--and every other note taking app uses the same shortcut key, so the habit of using it is ingrained for me. I guess I was just wondering if it was a bug or a feature that never got implemented.

Thanks for your responses!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
59 minutes ago, morningscifi said:

To rephrase my question, why doesn't the web app follow the convention from the desktop app?

You answered this in your first post; Chrome intercepts the shortcut key ctrl+k

Not just Chrome; this happens with any browser

• Level 5
16 hours ago, DTLow said:

You answered this in your first post; Chrome intercepts the shortcut key ctrl+k

Not just Chrome; this happens with any browser

Well ... as I said in my first post, there are Websites, such as Comcast's Webmail composition window, that do allow Ctrl+K to open a dialog for inserting a link attached to selected text. So even if browsers are intercepting the shortcut, it seems possible to program a way around it. It's interesting that in this forum, shortcuts like Ctrl+B/I/U/Z do work as expected, but Ctrl+K does not, just as in the beta of Evernote Web.

17 hours ago, morningscifi said:

To rephrase my question, why doesn't the web app follow the convention from the desktop app? The shortcut documentation does say ctrl + K adds hyperlinks--and every other note taking app uses the same shortcut key, so the habit of using it is ingrained for me. I guess I was just wondering if it was a bug or a feature that never got implemented.

There is a necessary difference between the functioning of the Windows desktop app and the Evernote Web interface, even on a Windows operating system. The shortcut documentation refers specifically to the Windows desktop program, which does have a great, rich set of shortcuts. Programming to work within a browser is a different story. Currently, we're told, the EN developers are working on achieving a more uniform functionality and user experience across the many different platforms. Hopefully the addition of more keyboard shortcuts in the Web interface will be part of this. 

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...