Penultimate future/alternatives

Hi,  I saw the thread about Penultimate being put out to pasture but still would like to have Evernote comment on the future of the product.  Is it dead?  Is it being rolled into the EN product?  If it’s not dead, what’s the roadmap???  Are they looking at enhancements or just in a perpetual state of life support.  It’s such a great product and it could be so much better.  The integration with EN make it better than most other ink apps.

Has anyone here found other tools that you would consider moving to if Penultimate is killed?

• Level 5*
On 10/22/2019 at 12:10 PM, vgermani said:

I saw the thread about Penultimate being put out to pasture but still would like to have Evernote comment on the future of the product.

We've had no comment from Evernote on this.image.gif.966d0d0fdbed52ae2c9c5004ee036897.gif
Penultimate is not dead, but we haven't seen much from Evernote in the way of upgrades.

'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

>>Has anyone here found other tools that you would consider moving to if Penultimate is killed?

I was never a Penultimate fan.  My note-taking tool is the Notability app on an iPad with an Apple Pencil stylus
There's no Evernote integration; I just save the document as a note attachment file

• 5 weeks later...
  • Level 5

For me it is GoodNotes 5. Excellent handwriting engine with a super „flow“ of virtual ink, very good OCR of the handwritten stuff, complete search of what was written, import and modification of pdfs etc. Sync is through iCloud, and just a few weeks ago they have launched the GoodNotes app for the Mac. So the handwritten stuff is not restricted to the iPad any longer, but is fully synced to the Mac as well.

The collaboration with EN goes through an export from GN5 into EN as a pdf (flattened or editable).

When I export into EN, the pdf stays (unless I unselect this option) fully searchable as well. The search index is generated by GN5 and is then used by EN - this means it will find a certain word in plain handwriting within the pdf that was exported to EN. 

So I am very happy with GoodNotes 5. However especially with something very personal like handwriting, I think everybody should do his own test, and then stick with the app that gives the best feeling while using it. A handwriting app is like a glove - if it does not fit when you put it on, it will not serve his purpose.

• 3 weeks later...

@JoeTaxpayer Noteshelf 2, has one of the most extensive free stationery "cupboards" of any app, including a wide range of grid/graph  and technical papers. The best part about the app is that it syncs automatically to my EN account and my notes are available quickly from any device via the super EN OCR.