Removal of " Templates" tab on every new note

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Notemonkey said:

an annoying box with " templates" appears. How do I remove it please.

I start typing and the box disappears 🙂

If you post this as a feature request, I'll add my vote.  I don't use the templates feature

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Notemonkey said:

Hello. I have noticed that every time I open a new note an annoying box with " templates" appears. How do I remove it please. Its a recent addition to the new note page.

What's the big deal? You start typing, and that text goes away. Entirely harmless, and useful for the people who do use templates.

• Level 5

I think it is a leftover from the time when it was introduced.

It shall remind you what a great tool you are using, and that there is this new cool option.

In general I agree that it is sort of helpful to have the templates layer, and one has to approve that they really made it super easy to use. But this ease of use comes along with having it sitting right there on top of every new note.

So as said before, just ignore and start typing ! Or better, think about the notes you start regularly, and if you could not create the one or other template to make things faster and more structured for yourself. Templates can really help you to achieve this.

• 1 year later...

Notemonkey, great question. It's an annoying distraction that shows whoever added that feature to Evernote doesn't have a good understanding of principles of UI design, and that fact that it is difficult if not impossible to disable shows how poor Evernote's product development is. 

However the fact that the comments here lean more toward "just ignore things that are only a little broken" reflects the Evernote user community, which is no longer forward looking power users, but long tail users. So there's no reason to fix this, it doesn't affect the bottom line. 

• Level 5

"Great question" - this could hardly be more beside the point. It only shows another user who prefers posting before thinking, or informing himself. In the EN help database is a good description of the template feature - if read there would be no need for this "Great question".

Templates are offered when opening a new note. When typing the first character into the notes body, the template option disappears. Because from that moment using a template would overwrite the newly started note. Clean, simple, easy to understand, works without even a single click.

No need to fix what is not broken.

• 9 months later...

I've been using Evernote since 2017 and this hasn't come up for until I use this version:  6.25.2.9198 (309198).

Now suddenly out the blue, I get the Start writing, drag files or choose a Template (big Template icon in the middle)

So I drag my image file and it just opens the file but refuses to put in the Note.

So now I have to go researching how can I remove this monstrosity (Template) out of my new note so I can add images again.

Again, why are changes done to the interface without warning?  I try to right-click on the note itself - do not see an ability to remove the template off of the note.

evernote problem.PNG

evernote right click option.PNG

Interesting that this is appearing in 6.25 - I thought it was only a V10 feature. In V10 you can't get rid of the feature - but dragging an image into the note works as expected. Sadly, I can't see EN making changes to correct any problems with 6.25, even if they have created the problems themselves. No doubt the conspiracy theorists will say it is all part of a strategy to get people off legacy and onto V10 - personally I'm more inclined to believe Hanlon's Razor: "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

• Level 5

The templates have been along for quite some time now. @Mike P Prior to v10.

I never had a problem to add content - just don’t drop it right on the template button. There should be enough space around it to avoid this outcome.

Besides Templates are a welcome feature for many users - it seems your definition of „monstrosity“ is personally biased. 

„Until using 6.25“ is a funny statement as well: You are running end of life, deprecated software. Better you stick to it - I don’t think you would be happy with the version 10 clients that replaced it 2 years ago. It was updated every 2-3 weeks since it launched.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

The templates have been along for quite some time now. @Mike P Prior to v10.

Obviously the templates have been around for a long time. What @Stephen LeCompteis complaining about is the inclusion of the template button in the middle of the body of the new note.

2 hours ago, Stephen LeCompte said:

Now suddenly out the blue, I get the Start writing, drag files or choose a Template (big Template icon in the middle)

I really don't remember whether that was in legacy before. The central fact remains though - don't expect any changes to an end of lifetime product.

• Level 5

Made a brief check in 7.14 Mac Legacy. Looks the same as Windows legacy.

Adding content by drag & drop works, if you just don’t try to drop the file right on the template button. Shouldn’t be that difficult, given the amount of screen real estate round it.

• Like 1