On EN Mac - is there a way to only store in cloud

• Level 5*

Nope. A "selective store" option for EN Mac Notebooks has been requested for years, but Evernote has not shown any interest in providing this option.

I agree it would be a really great option to have, especially on laptops with small hard drives.

Are you able to run macOS Catalina on your machine? It doesn't give the cloud only option, but I have noticed it cuts down the size of the database stored on your Mac considerably. Before upgrading to Catalina my EN database was like 50gigs and now it's 149.94 mb. Something to do with the way the file systems are handled in the new operating system.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

Before upgrading to Catalina my EN database was like 50gigs and now it's 149.94 mb.

Are you sure about this?  I haven't seen anything about macOS Catalina that makes radical changes in the file system from Mojave.  IAC, I really doubt any change could reduce storage by factor of 341.

Here's a good review on Catalina changes:  macOS 10.15 Catalina: The Ars Technica review 

18 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Are you sure about this?  I haven't seen anything about macOS Catalina that makes radical changes in the file system from Mojave.  IAC, I really doubt any change could reduce storage by factor of 341.

Here's a good review on Catalina changes:  macOS 10.15 Catalina: The Ars Technica review 

Yes I'm sure. In Mojave the file system was different. I couldn't figure out why and noticed it when I downgraded to Mojave after having issues with the beta. It creates a read-only HD when you upgrade and most wouldn't notice it unless they go to downgrade at some point. Here's a link from Apple on the read-only system https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT210650

I had major storage issues before the upgrade due to so many notes and now it's fine. When checking storage before the official upgrade I had somewhere between 50g and 54g taken up by Evernote. Now it's the smaller amount. Where everything is stored I don't know, but I do know that I'm showing the smaller number now.

• Level 5*

The link you provided deals ONLY with the new read-only partition for system files, and has NOTHING to do with reducing user file storage.

I don't know what you did, or how you are obtaining the size of the Evernote databases and files, but I don't believe Catalina reduced Evernote storage from 50 GB to 149 MB.

Just now, JMichaelTX said:

The link you provided deals ONLY with the new read-only partition for system files, and has NOTHING to do with reducing user file storage.

I don't know what you did, or how you are obtaining the size of the Evernote databases and files, but I don't believe Catalina reduced Evernote storage from 50 GB to 149 MB.

Just wanted to share that there is a new read-only system with the link. I haven't searched for any articles on why the storage may be different. I don't know what to tell ya on believing me or not. Like I said, I don't know why it did it but it is quite a bit smaller. Nothing has changed in the way I store things in Evernote. I just know that before updating it was a massive amount of storage being used and now it's not. Not a developer, don't know the tech ins and outs of the application or Catalina. Just know that I now have freed space on my Mac. Don't really care what did it, just know that it works for me.

Haven't changed anything else with any other apps either so not sure what to tell ya. I have used Optimize Mac Storage ever since it was available so maybe that's doing it. Again, not sure.

• Level 5

I have not checked yet, but from what I have read about Catalina:

Apple has bumped up security a lot. One of the measures is that the system is now installed in a read-only partition of the main disk. Changes to this code can only be done when the new stuff comes from Apple from a secure encrypted upgrade server. Maybe some guys will start to jailbreak their Macs now, but for the time being this section will make sure that no insecure kernel code can get on the Mac. Ransomware, take that !

The file system itself has not changed, but the OS now just allows for 64bit apps. The OSes before were 64Bit as well, but still allowed older apps with 32bit code to run. When 32bit-code is executed in a 64Bit environment, it is always inefficient, in terms of program AND data. I have noticed as well, that after upgrading I have more space on my SSD. This happened not directly when upgrading, but a little later. Maybe Catalina uses the extinction of 32bit to pack all stuff a bit denser.

I will check tomorrow on my MacBook Pro if I can find where the 200GB additional Disk space came from. Not from EN, at least not most of it - unless somebody invented „negative disk space“ to store my notes 😂🤣

8 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

I have not checked yet, but from what I have read about Catalina:

Apple has bumped up security a lot. One of the measures is that the system is now installed in a read-only partition of the main disk. Changes to this code can only be done when the new stuff comes from Apple from a secure encrypted upgrade server. Maybe some guys will start to jailbreak their Macs now, but for the time being this section will make sure that no insecure kernel code can get on the Mac. Ransomware, take that !

The file system itself has not changed, but the OS now just allows for 64bit apps. The OSes before were 64Bit as well, but still allowed older apps with 32bit code to run. When 32bit-code is executed in a 64Bit environment, it is always inefficient, in terms of program AND data. I have noticed as well, that after upgrading I have more space on my SSD. This happened not directly when upgrading, but a little later. Maybe Catalina uses the extinction of 32bit to pack all stuff a bit denser.

I will check tomorrow on my MacBook Pro if I can find where the 200GB additional Disk space came from. Not from EN, at least not most of it - unless somebody invented „negative disk space“ to store my notes 😂🤣

Just checked with a friend that is more familiar with all of this stuff and they informed me that High Sierra and Mojave had issues reporting incorrect disk usage at times. That may very well be what was going on for me before the upgrade. I would check on a machine running Mojave but I don't have one since the upgrade. I do have one running High Sierra though and now I'm showing 1.2 GB for EN on that machine. I'll check back to see what you find out. @PinkElephant. It may turn out that both @JMichaelTX and I were both right in a way with him being correct in the technical knowledge and me being correct in what was reported to me on my screen at the time I checked it (which very well could have been misinformation due to the issues the OS was having).

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

I have used Optimize Mac Storage ever since it was available so maybe that's doing it. Again, not sure.

Well, we are considerably off-topic now, and I have contributed to it.

My main point is that I would NOT upgrade to macOS Catalina just to gain a massive amount of free space in my Evernote data.  Highly unlikely.

• Level 5

Accepted ... I would not upgrade just for this either.

But for the other cool stuff in Catalina, upgrading is well worth it. Did it from Saturday to Sunday (yesterday), worked fine, just had to readjust a few apps manually, Glad I did it. I am now scouting for all the new features in there - sorry, but up to now non of it is related to EN.

But EN was among the apps that were taken along without any problem, so well done on this one.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Well, we are considerably off-topic now, and I have contributed to it.

My main point is that I would NOT upgrade to macOS Catalina just to gain a massive amount of free space in my Evernote data.  Highly unlikely.

Thought maybe the Optimize thing might have made a difference. I agree that if it was the only feature I would have waited to upgrade as well. The EN débâcle was a side effect not the cause, whatever is going on with it. I'm the one that has to upgrade and run betas but do so knowing that things can go wrong and/or right depending on the build ;)

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Accepted ... I would not upgrade just for this either.

But for the other cool stuff in Catalina, upgrading is well worth it. Did it from Saturday to Sunday (yesterday), worked fine, just had to readjust a few apps manually, Glad I did it. I am now scouting for all the new features in there - sorry, but up to now non of it is related to EN.

But EN was among the apps that were taken along without any problem, so well done on this one.

Of all the new features my favorite is the Reminders app of all things. I use OmniFocus as well, but find that when setting a reminder for a note in Evernote and adding it to MF through a zapier integration (might be IFTTT I can't remember at the moment) sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. The new Reminders app makes sharing a note from EN to it super easy and clean. I mean it was easy with the old one, but it just works better IMO with the new app. note links go where they are supposed to instead of in the main content of the reminder notes.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I agree it would be a really great option to have, especially on laptops with small hard drives.

I'm running at 15GB, and have no pressure to offload my data (Mac/iPad)

This may change but for now I like the benefits of having an offline data copy

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
  • Level 5

The issue IMHO is not how to backup, be it to disk or into a cloud storage. There is a lot of advise on this in the forum, both for legacy (better) and v10 (less so).

The idea of this thread is while working actively with the EN client on the Mac to leave some of the data only on the EN server (which is cloud based storage in itself), and only download specific notebooks locally. V10 is closer to this, in Settings one can choose not to save data locally. The benefit would be that Macs with small SSDs would be freed of most of the EN data.

But it still is not working selectively. The mobile apps do this better - they have the offline notebook feature. All others are only saved on the server.

5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The issue IMHO is not how to backup, be it to disk or into a cloud storage. There is a lot of advise on this in the forum, both for legacy (better) and v10 (less so).

The idea of this thread is while working actively with the EN client on the Mac to leave some of the data only on the EN server (which is cloud based storage in itself), and only download specific notebooks locally. V10 is closer to this, in Settings one can choose not to save data locally. The benefit would be that Macs with small SSDs would be freed of most of the EN data.

But it still is not working selectively. The mobile apps do this better - they have the offline notebook feature. All others are only saved on the server.

Where is this setting? I saw your post and I have been looking for it. 

• Like 2