amfeather

ANSWERED Evernote Experience on the iPad Pro

Hello,

My use current use involves a MacBook and an iPhone, but my MacBook is nearing the end of its lifespan. Consequently, I am considering alternative devices to replace my MacBook. Here are my questions:

Is the Evernote toolkit on iPad Pro fully featured? I understand that the application is different on iPad OS, but have not found any videos demonstrating its usage. If I swapped to iPad OS, would I lose comprehensive search, document annotation, presentation mode, or any other desktop features? Knowing what to expect would help me to make an informed decision. 

Is the Evernote experience on iPad Pro pleasant? Here I am mostly concerned about the overall functionality of the iPad OS application. Setting features aside, does the app work well?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Some Details: I am a longtime Evernote user with around 1800 notes. Most of my notes are research-related, including various documents, handwritten notes, and drafting/brainstorming.

23 minutes ago, amfeather said:

Is the Evernote toolkit on iPad Pro fully featured? I understand that the application is different on iPad OS,

Currently, Evernote only supports an IOS version.  
No, the app is not full featured, compared to the Mac version

>>Is the Evernote experience on iPad Pro pleasant?

I find the iPad experience pleasant, but rely on a Mac Mini for missing features

• Merging Notes
  • Applescript

>>would I lose comprehensive search

The search function is the same

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Currently, Evernote only supports an IOS version.  
No, the app is not full feature.

I thought there was one version for iPhone and one version for iPad. This clears things up. Thanks!

1 hour ago, amfeather said:

Hello,

My use current use involves a MacBook and an iPhone, but my MacBook is nearing the end of its lifespan. Consequently, I am considering alternative devices to replace my MacBook. Here are my questions:

Is the Evernote toolkit on iPad Pro fully featured? I understand that the application is different on iPad OS, but have not found any videos demonstrating its usage. If I swapped to iPad OS, would I lose comprehensive search, document annotation, presentation mode, or any other desktop features? Knowing what to expect would help me to make an informed decision. 

Is the Evernote experience on iPad Pro pleasant? Here I am mostly concerned about the overall functionality of the iPad OS application. Setting features aside, does the app work well?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Some Details: I am a longtime Evernote user with around 1800 notes. Most of my notes are research-related, including various documents, handwritten notes, and drafting/brainstorming.

You will lose presentation mode on the iPad. That was pulled from the app a couple years ago.

• Like 1

My main issue is very basic: EN on the iPad completely relies on server data. It is working on one note at a time. This it is doing pretty fine.

But there is no merging of notes, no simultaneous tagging or moving of several notes etc.

I am using the iPad version appr. 80% of the time. But for heavy lifting like cleaning out my Inbox, rearranging of notes etc. I am using the Mac or Win10 client. These run EN on a local database, and support bulk editing.

And yes, no presentation mode. I use Goodnotes 5 for that, that just got an amazing presentation mode a few weeks ago, and as well allows 2 windows of the app to be open in split view.

• Like 1

Evernote really needs to be updated for iPadOS.... opening two instances of Evernote side-by-side would solve a lot of issues (for me).

Not a good experience on iPad alone imho. Seems like its an add on to the desktop not a fully realised app - I’m not sure where Evernote are going iOS wise so I’d stay clear. As they say round here it’s “all style and no trousers!” And it may not be as pretty but Apple Notes does as much - and even adds a date to each note! I’m one very disappointed customer!

2 hours ago, Anthony Miller said:

Seems like its an add on to the desktop not a fully realized app ... I'm one very disappointed customer!

I agree with your assessment - Evernote/IOS is supplemental to the desktop platforms 

Recognizing this, I'm not a "disappointed customer".    
I  appreciate having access to my data when away from my desktop

btw  There is no charge for the Evernote/IOS app and data synchronization

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I agree with your assessment - Evernote/IOS is supplemental to the desktop platforms 

Recognizing this, I'm not a "disappointed customer".    
I'm happy to have access to my data when away from my desktop

btw  There is no charge for the Evernote/IOS app and data synchronization

I understand what you’re saying but I, mistakenly, took premium subs. I use my iPad for everything - no desktop. Obviously my fault for not reading the App Store description correctly but there’s no way I can reverse my subscription as far as I can tell. That’s why I’m disappointed! 

• Like 1

EN plans do not work on a „per device“ basis.

The backbone is always the server function. Then features are added to it, over Premium as a full personal account to business as a solution for a group of people working together and sharing information. This is what one is paying for (or not, in case of the free Basic plan - which is ... basic).

All EN apps are free, be it desktop or mobile. But they always depend in key functions on the server and by this on the subscription one is choosing. In addition if on Basic, the number of devices connected to the server is restricted as well. So if you decide to degrade your plan when your current subscription is over, the app will stay the same, you will just have a reduced functionality when using it. And it will be for free ...

On 11/16/2019 at 4:57 PM, Anthony Miller said:

I understand what you’re saying but I, mistakenly, took premium subs. I use my iPad for everything - no desktop. Obviously my fault for not reading the App Store description correctly but there’s no way I can reverse my subscription as far as I can tell. That’s why I’m disappointed! 

Same here.

i am an iOS only user and this doesn’t feel great. But I am looking forward to see Small’s plan to make the EN experience same on every platform.

I am a returning Evernote user from 2008, but from what I can tell you could gain a little bit of functionality by using the web client on iPadOS. I am not 100% sure that the web client is on par with the desktop version, but it does seem to have more function then the iOS app.