soralsokal

Links within notes

Idea

I found plenty of article and tutorials on table of content. But they all seem to only consider it for many notes.

I would link the table of contents to be in one note only. Anyone know if thats possible?

• Like 3

As a workaround I use a PhraseExpress phrase such that when I hover over a word and press Ctrl-Shift-LeftMouse focus is transferred to the next instance of the word in the note.  I use underscore as a prefix to all of the links to avoid false positives.  FWIW.

On 11/23/2017 at 5:32 AM, Thorz said:

I don't understand why this has still not been implemented, it has been asked for multiple times by several users in this forum, like we can see in this old thread: 

I don't have access to the priority list for the development work.
My notes tend to be short, so an internal TOC is not my priority
Users can indicate their support for a future request using the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion

If I needed it, I'd make use of scripting and the search feature
I also break my notes into sub-notes and make use of the note-linking feature

On 2017-12-15 at 6:49 AM, jessedwilloughby said:

Very surprised it is not standard for note taking, projects, planning, and work flows.

Maybe not standard for notes, but Table-of-Contents is a standard word processing feature

My solution is to use Word/Pages with the document as a note attachment.  This gives me access to many wp features, including ToC 

This feature has been requested for the past 5 years, as far as I can tell. I'm not sure why it hasn't been implemented: there is at least one third-party hackaround to do anchor links, and it's clearly an ongoing part of the users' mental workflow model. 

Might be an exercise in futility, but here goes. I want anchor links to an external document. So, for example, I have a long and complex project list. Yes, each project could be composed of numerous individual notes, each "Copy Internal Link"'ed to the main project heading. But I'd rather have a list of projects with two or three subheads. When I click the subhead "Research consulting firms" it would go DIRECTLY to a document entitled "Research" and zip down to the "Consulting Firms I Looked At" heading. This is because it may not be worth my setting up a whole sublist of research notes by category, at least not yet: instead, a big "box" where I could root through a specific request and then ignore it the rest of the time.

This model is frequently encountered in workflow arrangement: see Allen's original 43 folders concept and Tharp's "project boxes," which are uniquely suited to complex, messy, indeterminate projects like creative endeavors (in art or business). 

Love the idea of BOTH :

1. Anchors/bookmarks
  2. Collapsible sections (which could almost be equivalent to comments)

This is just essential Evernote.  Many of us have deeply complex notes that don't split well for various reasons (I've used Evernote for 10+ years, I know the options and paradigms- just understand single long notes work better for some of us!)  Please implement!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Luke Milton said:

Love the idea of BOTH :

1. Anchors/bookmarks

This is just essential Evernote.  

These are useful word processing features; not sure about "essential Evernote"

My solution is to use a word  processing editor (Word/Pages).   I add the document as a note attachment.  Evernote works well with office/iwork documents

>>Many of us have deeply complex notes that don't split well for various reasons (I've used Evernote for 10+ years, I know the options and paradigms- just understand single long notes work better for some of us!)

I avoid deeply complex, long notes (oxymoron?).  I don't think they work well with the Evernote editor and format

On 2018-01-23 at 11:04 AM, Vanveen said:

I want anchor links

Which is the point of @kmkonline's feature request post

Please consider adding your support using the voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion

• Thanks 1

This would be a great feature! I'm still waiting for this. It should be straightforward to set headers and then generate a TOC in a note. Then finding the content later would be much faster. 

7 minutes ago, say_hi_to_zippy said:

This would be a great feature! I'm still waiting for this. It should be straightforward to set headers and then generate a TOC in a note. Then finding the content later would be much faster. 

Please consider Indicating your support using the voting buttons in the top left corner of the posted feature request  (linked below)

I would love it if we could tag a specific line or paragraph within note... and/or add a Task (ToDo) box to a specific line. Then search all notebooks by the tag or the Task box to see a list of all Tasks. This is something OneNote does very well. I prefer Evernote but I have to use OneNote for this reason.

On 1/23/2018 at 11:06 PM, Luke Milton said:

Love the idea of BOTH :

1. Anchors/bookmarks

This is just essential Evernote.  Many of us have deeply complex notes that don't split well for various reasons (I've used Evernote for 10+ years, I know the options and paradigms- just understand single long notes work better for some of us!)  Please implement!

I've been waiting for this for years... I'm paying and I don't see any sight of this feature coming... Come on...

On 2018-02-03 at 7:38 AM, davidont said:

I would love it if we could tag a specific line or paragraph within note... and/or add a Task (ToDo) box to a specific line.

2 hours ago, Gauthier said:

I've been waiting for this for years... I'm paying and I don't see any sight of this feature coming... Come on...

To indicate your support for this request, use the voting buttons in the top left corner

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 08.27.31.png

On 10/15/2017 at 6:25 PM, BlueLobster said:

I saw this posted on Reddit and it offers a good solution to anchoring to certain parts of a note...

It’s nice that Evernote allows you to link other notes together but sometimes you want to link to a certain spot in that note. It doesn’t matter if it's a long note or a short note, there is sometimes a need to find the exact sentence or even word that you need to link to in that note. But Evernote lacks text anchoring so this becomes really hard and makes searching for what you need impossible at times.

I’ve come up with a solution that I’ve been using for a bit now and it works perfectly. It’s so simple that it will work on just about any note program or Operating System as long as it has search.

The idea is simple. You need a string of text that is unique and never repeats, you place that in the place that you want to find again on that note. So all you got to do is search the note with the unique string of text and you’ll be taken to it in the Evernote note.

The problem is that how do you pick the unique string of text? You could keep an index of all the strings you used but that is cumbersome and annoying. It’s important to not repeat any of the used strings or you’ll end up with many results unless you want to do that as a way to group them but then we have tags for that.

So instead I use Epoch or Unix Time for my string anchor. I go to this website… https://www.epochconverter.com/

With Epoch or Unix Time every second, it’s a different number that won’t repeat and it works perfectly for this. I refresh the site to get a new number and I paste the number in the location I want to remember. Then in the current note, I put that time stamp in there and say search to find that note and that location. I’ll add an “a” to the beginning of the time stamp that stands for the anchor so that when I search I don’t get the current note I’m working on and I only get that one single note and it’s location in that note. If you share a computer or a notes program you can do your initials instead of the “a” to make finding your locations easier.

Example of Epoch Time: 1507813587

How I put it in the note that I want to refer back to: (a1507813587)

All I do to find that note again is search “a1507813587” and Evernote search takes me right to that spot in that note.

The great thing is that it works on any program that has search like Apple Notes, Bear, iA Writer, and so on. Even works on the Operating System too if you want to use Spotlight or Windows Search to find that note.

I love engineers. 
This is a beautiful solution to the wrong problem. You've optimized for solving the "need a unique identifier" problem. Unfortunately, in doing so you have destroyed the non-trivial problem elements, e.g. findability via such metadata as English denotation ("Chapter Two: How To Skin a Horse" is much more findable than "a1507813587").  Do you have a table of contents, ' "Chapter Two: How to Skin a Horse" (1507813587)? ' 

I think the real issue here is that anchor links are fundamental to modern HTML/CSS specifications, involve no custom or elaborate code, presumably would not break the code base, and would be incredibly useful to this product. Or in other words, what's the holdup here? How many points would this take in an Agile environment? At $70 a year, is Zoho or Scrivener a better option?

5 minutes ago, Vanveen said:

I think the real issue here is that anchor links are fundamental to modern HTML/CSS specifications, involve no custom or elaborate code, presumably would not break the code base, and would be incredibly useful to this product. Or in other words, what's the holdup here?

I agree anchor links are supported in the base html code

Please add your vote to this request using the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion.  This request has 92 votes.

This is one of the factors Evernote uses in identifying development priorities.

Upvoted request. I am a UX Researcher, and the lack of in-note table of contents functionality limits my ability to use Evernote for work docs. My stakeholders need a TOC to jump to their priorities to even consider reading a document (otherwise they become overwhelmed and do not read a word of my report). Right now, I have to opt for Google Docs. I imagine lack of TOC is a deal breaker for businesses considering Evernote.  Thank you.

2 hours ago, Melissa Leach said:

limits my ability to use Evernote for work docs. My stakeholders need a TOC to jump to their priorities to even consider reading a document (otherwise they become overwhelmed and do not read a word of my report). Right now, I have to opt for Google Docs

You might consider using a word processing editor like Word/Pages.
The document file can be attached to the note; Evernote works well with office/iwork files

+1 for this feature

On 2/28/2018 at 10:08 AM, Melissa Leach said:

Upvoted request. I am a UX Researcher, and the lack of in-note table of contents functionality limits my ability to use Evernote for work docs. My stakeholders need a TOC to jump to their priorities to even consider reading a document (otherwise they become overwhelmed and do not read a word of my report). Right now, I have to opt for Google Docs. I imagine lack of TOC is a deal breaker for businesses considering Evernote.  Thank you.

On 8/29/2014 at 10:09 PM, Bryanne said:

Hi all,

Evernote is brilliant - could not navigate life without it!!

A feature that I feel is dearly needed and would be tremendous to have is the ability to create an anchor point in notes.

eg if I am working on a lengthy note and constantly referring to other notes at the same time I want the ability to specify a point where I am working in that note so I can go straight back to it.

Also, when you open a note it goes straight to the start of the note. You always have to scroll down to the bottom of the note to add to it.

Many thanks for any comments. 

This feature request is around since 2014 from multiple users. How can this still not be a thing. Evernote (!) please make it happen. Otherwise more and more people will go to other tools that already implemented this feature.

Hi Evernote - any feedback on this feature request?? 

Would be a game changer, I have long notes and at minimum,  need the ability to link to a section. Collapsible sections would be even better. 

must have feature. I'm considering moving to Google docs or dropbox paper because evernote lack of this functionality...

• Like 1

Just to reiterate the standard work-arounds:

1. Any time you need a link to part of a note,  move that section into another note and create an internal note link.  Your table of contents note becomes a 'parent' to several child notes.  If I share that type of note I tend to make the main note an executive summary of the content,  followed by (or interspersed with) links to the various sections.  If I want to change the order of the whole document,  all I have to do is change the order of the links.
  2. Word processor apps like Word have tools to help you manage longer documents and jump around in the content.  If that's what you need,  just attach the word document to a note and edit the document if you wish to make changes.

I use several third party apps to help manage my workflow.  It won't improve anything if Evernote provide this new feature - a dedicated word processor also has layout and indexing and references and page numbers....  Evernote (mostly) doesn't.

10 minutes ago, Stakh Vozniak said:

Most wanted thing last few years :) But Evernote team doesn't care.

I'm wondering about your source for this information.  My source is the user vote counts but I have no access to Evernote's priority list.

On 8/20/2018 at 10:05 PM, DTLow said:

I'm wondering about your source for this information.  My source is the user vote counts but I have no access to Evernote's priority list.

Just my feeling, based on visiting this forum and the constant requests from other users.

13 hours ago, Stakh Vozniak said:

<image of a 6 part essay table of contents>

Evernote is not the tool I'd use to write a 6 part essay.211282648_ScreenShot2018-08-25at08_02_46.png.39c16d6f6343f4ef6142c143e39e73de.png
That seems more of a word processing exercise.

I'd at least break the work into separate notes

• This also allows for the easy construction of a table of contents.
  • It also allows emulating explanding/collapsing sections

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Evernote is not the tool I'd use to write a 6 part essay.211282648_ScreenShot2018-08-25at08_02_46.png.39c16d6f6343f4ef6142c143e39e73de.png
I'd at least break it into separate notes
This also allows for the easy construction of a table of contents.

Why do you think so? Evernote is a universal text editor. 

Evernote does not remember the last location which you viewed in the note. Also, if a note has more than 50,000 characters (about 7,000 words + images), it's terribly inconvenient and long to scroll to find the necessary information without the navigational anchor points.

The current implementation of Table of content in Evernote (linking different notes in the new note) this is not a very elegant option, as it generates a mess in Notebook. Especially if you can not create sub-notebooks to place all related to Table of content notes in one place.

1 hour ago, Stakh Vozniak said:

Evernote is a universal text editor. 

Actually it's an enml/html editor.  https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php
My universal text editor tool is Textastic.

>>Why do you think so?  (more of a word processing exercise.)

• The Evernote editor doesn't support inline anchors/links.
  • " Evernote does not remember the last location which you viewed in the note. "
  • The note format is more suited to web pages than documents.
  • There are other word processing features I need that aren't supported by the editor.
  • Like 1

I already give up on Evernote (I hava a payed plan) ... but they focusing on "reskin" and so on, instead of bringing in convinent features to Evernote.

EN will be my primary sourcen. But when it comes to taking notes serius: I rely on Notion.so. The way how they handle text is incredible and a game changer. The only thing EN does (yet) better: tagging, and search (but truly say: where is a good UI for stack together a search ... the search itself is powerfull, but the implementation of the UI (Windows, Android) puts it to ashame.

15 hours ago, Zsolt.Juhasz said:

EN will be my primary sourcen.

Can you explain the "primary sourcen."

Evernote is my digital filing tool; I'm currently at 12K+ documents (I have a paid account)

>>But when it comes to taking notes serius: I rely on Notion.so.

I agree; the Evernote editor is not the tool I'd use for serious work.
MS Word/Excel is the standard for my office.  As an Apple user my tools are Pages/Numbers
- this addresses my inline tag/anchor requirement
I also have a large number of pdf documents and images

Evernote works well with Office/iWork documents, pdfs, and images

11 minutes ago, Zsolt.Juhasz said:

So I'm working only "static" on it, but new stuff I put elsewhere (an import it later). - So I changed my workflows to try to get around with thats what's missing in EN.

I'm not in favour of the "elsewhere (an import it later)".  
I also use dedicated editors (best tool for the job) but immediately store the document in Evernote.

13 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm not in favour of the "elsewhere (an import it later)".  
I also use dedicated editors (best tool for the job) but immediately store the document in Evernote.

I would love to ... but sometimes ... the limitations are blocking?

Would be awesome, If I don't need any 3rd party apps to do my work in a way I want to achive. I could provide a very long list of´possible improvements. But all good suggestions in this forum get ignored anyway - as this article, created 4 years ago. Any as other apps are showing: inline tags are not rocket science...

2 minutes ago, Zsolt.Juhasz said:

Would be awesome, If I don't need any 3rd party apps to do my work in a way I want to achive.

I have the opposite opinion.  Evernote does ok with basic notes, and I have no problem using a 3rd party app when I need extended features; word processing, spreadsheets, calendar, ...

+1 on this feature request. This would enable me to create a simple table of contents in long notes.

Better yet, why not support headings and/or mark down and then have the ability to autogenerate a table of contents?

+1 .... what a pity! still missing the most useful feature ..

Hi Evernote, after the dark theme, the best feature you can add is the ability to generate a "Table of Content" within a note, from titles and subtitles.
It's really hard to find a particular section in a long note without that table, you're kinda pushing us to use Google docs! 😕
Thanks,

18 hours ago, Mahmoud Zalt said:

Hi Evernote, after the dark theme, the best feature you can add is the ability to generate a "Table of Content" within a note, from titles and subtitles.
It's really hard to find a particular section in a long note without that table, you're kinda pushing us to use Google docs! 😕
Thanks,

Hi.  I generally don't make long notes.  I make a series of short notes which I can find because of a common title or tag - like a project number or tag.  My 'diary' is a series of dozens of notes tied together by the standard word 'diary' in the title,  plus the date to which that note relates.  A saved search finds all the notes,  which are sorted in date order (from the title,  not the created date - I'm lazy sometimes,  and do this in arrears).  I can search for anything in the diary by including the title keyword + the search term,  and edit as necessary:  and if I need to print off a day,  a week,  or a month in one go,  that's pretty easy.

Not saying it wouldn't be handy to index a note,  but that ability depends on having identifiable header styles or anchor locations to search for,  and AFAIK Evernote haven't gotten around to including those yet.

Plus there are a bunch of bugs and little things like encryption and better print options that Evernote might need to work on - no knowing what priority they can give this.

• Like 1

Totally agree, this should be made a priority to be implemented, it would improve notes navigation tremendously.

+1. It's user-hostile to link to a long note and have to warn them, "please scroll to (heading text)". Anchors exist for a reason. Thanks!

• Like 1

what i really want to see is links in the IOS 

on MAC i can see them on the top but they despair in IOS 

this is a good idea 

Before you write a note, you need to decide: what exactly do you want to convey to all progressive humanity? What thoughts, feelings, methods, etc.? Here are the questions that I use when I write to check the spelling critical essay writing help of the text. In the scientific world there is a good canon of thought design, which implies the answer to the following questions:

What problem am I trying to solve?
    How was she solved before me?
    What is the novelty of my solution methods compared to its predecessors?

For example, you want to describe your personal time planning system. Try to identify the shortcomings of the previous methods or planning systems, and show at the expense of what its features your system does not suffer from these shortcomings. It is desirable to clearly state the problem area and novelty at the very beginning of the article and in the abstract.

By the way, this canon is convenient not only for writers, but also for readers.

57 minutes ago, Cody Sartony said:

Before you write a note,

Note definition:

• a brief record of facts, topics, or thoughts, written down as an aid to memory.
  • a short informal letter or written message.

My point is, for serious work, I use proper writing tools; not the Evernote editor/format
I store the document in Evernote as a note attachment.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cody Sartony said:

Before you write a note, you need to decide: what exactly do you want to convey to all progressive humanity?

Is this related to this topic, namely, the feature request to add internal anchors to Evernote notes?

Before you write a topic comment, you need to decide: how exactly does it pertain to the topic at hand...

Your comment is probably good advice, but would be better served to have een made elsewhere in the forum, maybe in the General iscussions Forum (https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/53-evernote-general-discussions/) or one of its subforums.

Yes, I need this. Evernote is limited for me without TOC and jump links.

I use evernote every day for academic work.  Inline tags would be an HUGE help, as I generate very long notes, and frequently want to search in them.  I currently use a workaround, including something like [_tag] so that at least it is searchable.  But an properly supported system would be much better.

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2019 at 6:34 AM, Vladislav Krakhalev said:

And yet another one simple feature is not realized. I started to think that user is not the main priority for evernote team. Looking for alternatives..

Very frustrating.
I'm trying the fee opensource encrypted alternative Joplin.
It offers both internal anchors and encryption - you provide your own storage or use dropbox, google drive, icloud, ... and you can sync it to all your devices
I'm still using Evernote but those days are numbered until I see some improvements.

+1 from me. I absolutely rely on ToC/bookmark navigation within notes for speaking assignments and teaching resources. 

The workaround using many separate notes and a table of contents note might work for some people. For me, it isn't a solution.

Fortunately, jump links are becoming general in other apps e.g. Word, OneNote, Google Docs + Keep, Zoho Writer, Notion, Dropbox Paper, iWriter etc.

I'd like to use Evernote as more than a digital filing cabinet. This is a limitation. I would urge Evernote to catch up with the field – and even better, innovate for a change!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, greiggy said:

I absolutely rely on ToC/bookmark navigation...

Fortunately, jump links are becoming general in other apps e.g. Word, OneNote, Google Docs + Keep, Zoho Writer, Notion, Dropbox Paper, iWriter etc.

I'd like to use Evernote as more than a digital filing cabinet. ...

Digital filing cabinet works for me.  
My documents are Word/Pages format and include ToC/bookmark navigation

I'd also really like this.

The alternative offered by Evernote, is to splitting up a long note into a separate notes and collecting them together via Table of Contents. For me this creates too many separate moving parts that can become a mess very quickly.

I'd also really like this feature. However, as this request is almost 5 years old, can we assume it's not on the roadmap?

Linking between notes is not a viable alternative as it would be too complex to divide them into logical sections.

3 hours ago, Ginjam said:

I'd also really like this feature. However, as this request is almost 5 years old, can we assume it's not on the roadmap?

Linking between notes is not a viable alternative as it would be too complex to divide them into logical sections.

Me too, and I agree to this.

3 hours ago, Ginjam said:

However, as this request is almost 5 years old, can we assume it's not on the roadmap?

I have no knowlege of Evernote's roadmap, but I think that's a safe assumption.

>>Linking between notes is not a viable alternative as it would be too complex to divide them into logical sections.

I'd be looking at work-arounds, such as using a differnt format.

This first note in this thread states that Anchor notes is "impossible".  First, are you kidding, anything is possible.  Second, you should hire people who know this.  Third, if this many people want this feature and your (Evernote) think it's impossible the correct approach is to assign the task of a whitepaper on why its impossible (Specifically).  If by the end of the paper that person can't give you a solution you have the wrong person.  But if the solution is complex or abstract give the problem to a real programmer or 2.  You will get solutions.  Review that for consistency with your implementation philosophy, see where it breaks, fix that, add the feature, and move on.

YES!! 

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

The post was indicating that Anchors are not possible using the existing Evernote editor/format (2015).
It's still not possible using the Evernote editor/format

You're welcome to indicate your support for the request using the voting buttons in the upper left corner.
So far, Evernote has not considered this a priority for notes

YOU ARE SOO ACCURATE! Make this happen! 

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, umina said:

First, are you kidding, anything is possible.

👍 😂 

And I agree to this.

Edited by MatS14
"And I agree to this"

Pending EN doing anything I solved this for my self using PhraseExpress.  I add keywords at the front of the note body, all preceded by an underscore.  Then I hover over a keyword and use the Phrase express hot key which is a Alt + right mouse.  Not particularly elegant but saves all the teeth gnashing.  By product is the hot key finds any word in a note.  FWIW. 

On 4/30/2019 at 1:41 PM, umina said:

This first note in this thread states that Anchor notes is "impossible".  First, are you kidding, anything is possible. 

First, you didn't understand what the first poster was saying, and it would really help if you learned to use the forum quoting mechanism so it would be easier to see what you were objecting to. I am guessing that it's this post:

This is not saying that it's not possible for Evernote to implement such a feature, just that the OP cannot do what they want in the current Evernote world.

Second, you should hire people who know this. 

Second, the person who wrote the above post is not an Evernote employee; he's an Evernote user just like you and me.

Third, if this many people want this feature and your (Evernote) think it's impossible the correct approach is to assign the task of a whitepaper on why its impossible (Specifically).

Again, nobody at all is claiming that the feature is impossible to implement.

If by the end of the paper that person can't give you a solution you have the wrong person.  But if the solution is complex or abstract give the problem to a real programmer or 2.  You will get solutions.  Review that for consistency with your implementation philosophy, see where it breaks, fix that, add the feature, and move on.

Nice rant, but irrelevant. Add your vote, and move on.

1 hour ago, CalS said:

Pending EN doing anything I solved this for my self using PhraseExpress.  I add keywords at the front of the note body, all preceded by an underscore.  Then I hover over a keyword and use the Phrase express hot key which is a Alt + right mouse.  Not particularly elegant but saves all the teeth gnashing.  By product is the hot key finds any word in a note.  FWIW. 

Could you elaborate a bit on your setup using PhraseExpress? I seems interesting.

Thanks!

35 minutes ago, greiggy said:

Having got used to using jump links to navigate in a variety of docs and notes, it is hard to put up with Evernote's limitation. Increasingly I am having to rely on Evernote's competitors which all seem to do jump link/bookmark navigation rather well. 

I am familiar with "jump links" and make use of them.

They're more of a document feature; not so much notes.

I can put up with with Evernote's "limitation" by using a word processing file attachment, or splitting notes into sub-notes (note links)

Thanks, DTLow, and I agree with your strategy. For many situations... But I keep coming back to wanting jump links in Evernote and not having to swap between applications.

I think Evernote needs to be aware of the shift in expectations of users who will now be familiar with navigation in OneNote, Notion, Dropbox Paper,  ZohoWriter as well as the heavyweights MS Word, Apple Pages, Google Docs etc. 

Evernote must adapt and move on, or it will wake up and discover that its user base has moved on...

I would also love this!

Thisss I need it!

This is vital feature, and I'm astonished It has not been yet introduced. I hope that new beta Evernote will make this possible.

This is badly needed. GDocs has excellent functionality to create a simple Table of Contents with anchor tags that is synced to text. Please add!

• Like 1

On 9/14/2015 at 10:15 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  AFAIK this is not possible;  you can link to notes,  but not to headings,  or bookmarks.  You could set up keywords at various points in a document and jump with searches - but that's not embeddable in a document.  You could also use a document type that includes this sort of linkability - Word documents or PDFs for example - and attach that to your note.

Suggestion of implementation

Have all H1, H2, ect auto create anchor points directly as an html element with conflict resilience with random note unique addition or only the random addition to help match current share URL style;

<h1 name="chapter-1-(iiop)">Chapter 1</a>
<h2 name="the-first-point-(273j)">The First Point</a>
<h1 name="chapter-2-(182u)">Chapter 2</a>
<h2 name="the-second-point-(273o)">The Second Point</a>
<h2 name="the-third-point-(yh76)">The Third Point</a>
<h3 name="refs-(iow1)">Ref's</a>
<h1 name="chapter-3-(ei8h)">Chapter 3</a>
<h3 name="refs-(10dj)">Ref's</a>

or

<h1 name="iiop">Chapter 1</a>
<h2 name="273j">The First Point</a>
<h1 name="182u">Chapter 2</a>
<h2 name="273o">The Second Point</a>
<h2 name="yh76">The Third Point</a>
<h3 name="iow1">Ref's</a>
<h1 name="ei8h">Chapter 3</a>
<h3 name="10dj">Ref's</a>

Then have an auto generated contents option to add and link/jump to (with style options), with flexibility when adding size options without breaking formats (see "10dj" in example) and auto refresh on note ether in near real time or every time a manual refresh/note is opened. Example 1 style wise;

• Chapter 1
    • The First Point
  • Chapter 2
    • The Second Point
    • The Third Point
      • Ref's
  • Chapter 3
    • Ref's

Example 2 style wise;

Chapter 1
 The First Point
Chapter 2
 The Second Point
 The Third Point
  Ref's
Chapter 3
 Ref's

Example 3 style wise:

• Chapter 1
  • The First Point
  • Chapter 2
  • The Second Point
  • The Third Point
    • Ref's
  • Chapter 3
  • Ref's

Example 4 style wise:

• Chapter 1: The First Point
  • Chapter 2: The Second Point / The Third Point >> Ref's
  • Chapter 3: Ref's

-------------------------

Edit: One last idea, have in link function (or a right click insert) searchable links to headers in document or title with link (again searchable popup) for quick reference.

On 6/23/2019 at 3:08 PM, thatdh said:

Suggestion of implementation

Hi.  Thanks for that,  but I don't imagine Evernote are unsure how to implement this function;  they just haven't made space in their schedule yet to include the work.  It's impressive that this feature now has over 400 votes,  but I suspect that other work they've talked about to do with harmonising the functionality between different operating systems,  and upgrading the editor features will delay any single-feature requests like linking until it's added as part of the new architecture.

The fact that this is a standard feature of html going way back (not sure how far, but I know I used it years ago!) indicates this is a question of priority rather than possibility. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brother Tobias said:

he fact that this is a standard feature of html going way back (not sure how far, but I know I used it years ago!) indicates this is a question of priority rather than possibility. 

Wot I said (but more elegantly put...)  ;)

On 6/24/2019 at 4:07 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Thanks for that,  but I don't imagine Evernote are unsure how to implement this function;  they just haven't made space in their schedule yet to include the work.  It's impressive that this feature now has over 400 votes,  but I suspect that other work they've talked about to do with harmonising the functionality between different operating systems,  and upgrading the editor features will delay any single-feature requests like linking until it's added as part of the new architecture.

More a UX idea rather then a coding suggestion but felt it was best illustrated in both, if only rudimentary.

Yes I expect they are busy, especially when it comes to there more general 2019 road map https://evernote.com/blog/looking-ahead-evernotes-priorities-2019/ thought it they start slipping on some of the details their 'top of the category' position might be more unstable as other more targeted products come out.

I seriously feel for the devs when there must be such a push for enterprise use and stability and when more and more of their direct rivals are the likes of Microsoft and Google themselves (though Googles workflow differs enough with keep + drive docs that maybe its more direct with Microsoft's one note?).

Would be genuinely interesting to see what selling points sets are valued the most, I know text recognition on images must be one of the killers.

29 minutes ago, thatdh said:

Would be genuinely interesting to see what selling points sets are valued the most, I know text recognition on images must be one of the killers.

What I value most is the storage/organization/sync of my data

You're right - Evernote's OCR feature is/was one of the "killer" selling points

I may be the exception but text recognition on images is not a feature I make much use of.
I rely more on tag searches.
I can do my own OCR, with an external app

I am not sure I have ever used text recognition of images...

There are more important things. Evernote is not doing well as keeping up with competitors, let alone pioneering (as it once did). This spells decline, in today's fast moving world.

There are lot of votes aggregating, for important features. No sign of implementation. Previously loyal users will find solutions elsewhere, in this climate.

33 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I may be the exception but text recognition on images is not a feature I make much use of.

Always a surprise for me when an image appears in the results of a text search.  :)

Not being much of a tagger I do find this occasionally useful.  I will take pictures of something and just stuff it into Evernote knowing that a word search will dig it out for me later.

It would be awesome to have anchor links within a note, I have huge notes and I always want to add new content in the subtopic where it belongs, it takes me forever sometimes to find what I'm looking for so I can start writing under it. Even though I have titles and subtitles, I don't always remember what I called them to be able to search, so anchors with a little table of contents on the top of a note would be really handy!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thais SRG said:

It would be awesome to have anchor links within a note

Hi.  Recent Videos* suggest that Evernote is in the process of a root and branch rewrite of the Web (and other) clients,  so we should now be able to look forward to some of our requests being realized in months rather than years.  Given that this one has 425 votes now,  I'd hope that it's likely to be part of the package,  but a few extra votes can't hurt if anyone out there wants to chime in...

* See:

Here is the feature request for this feature. An upvote there might help promote the feature: