Links within notes

soralsokal

Idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  AFAIK this is not possible;  you can link to notes,  but not to headings,  or bookmarks.  You could set up keywords at various points in a document and jump with searches - but that's not embeddable in a document.  You could also use a document type that includes this sort of linkability - Word documents or PDFs for example - and attach that to your note.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

We want this BASIC feature.  PLEASE.  We want LINKS WITHIN NOTES.

We don't want to make a separate note with a Table of Contents referencing many other notes - we want LINKS/ANCHORS WITHIN NOTES.

Evernote - is it your intention to NEVER implement this feature?  If so - please, just tell us.  JUST TELL US.  Otherwise - this is ridiculous already.  I see requests from at least 2014 for this BASIC feature.  (Likely there are earlier requests, too.)

Can you please commit to working on this feature?  Perhaps give us an estimated date for when it will be implemented?

I'm seriously considering ditching my paid subscription to Evernote because you don't have LINKS/ANCHORS WITHIN NOTES.

🤯 🤯  🤯 

• Like 8
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, DTLow said:

I find this to be the best work around in the absence of internal hyperlinks.
. . .

• I can simulate collapsing and expanding sections by using links to sub-documents

Thanks for sharing.

It is a workaround, but, iMO, not a very good one.  Won't work for me.

• It's just like opening up a new web page
  • You can't the the surrounding context of the previous/next section
  • Navigation is cumbersome

Anchors are basic, long-standing HTML behavior.  There's really no excuse for Evernote not to implement.

• Like 6

Can you explain the "primary sourcen." --

I put everything into evernote (approx 7000 notes). I switched to paperless a while ago. F.e.: my insurance documents, Invoices, Guarantee documents and more are scanned and tagged. So I can find it fast - Thtats what I really love on EN.

But when it comes to "serious" note taking: I suffer each time with the editors possebilities (Tables got better after years), but: Table of Content (like: Confluence), Inline Taggging (like: Google Keep), The way of handling Content (like: Notion.so), Smart Objects (like excerps of notes (Confluence), Emedd videos, google maps and more (like: Notion), automatically updating links and link lists), Nested Searches / Nested Favorites, Smart Searches (where I can change parameters like the date range), Annotations inside of notes (like Confluence, Google Docs), Styles inside of nodes (Headings, Toc, Lists, Collapsable Lists, Anchors, Sub/Sup-Script. The editor in fact is very basic - and copying notes from other sources like web/office offten scramble my content - so I need to fix/align it manually.

Don't get me wrong: I rely on EN, but the UI is extremely outdated by it's capabilities (in comparison to other online editors / note taking apps).

So I'm working only "static" on it, but new stuff I put elsewhere (an import it later). - So I changed my workflows to try to get around with thats what's missing in EN.

Searching - or eaven loading offline notes on Android is a pain. It takes partially forever to lead a simple locale text note.

• Like 2

I have forever wanted the ability to create anchor links to a spots within the same note. 

Basically, I want to create the equivalent of the html <a href="#page_location"> inside a note. 

Hoping now that v10 is here, this can be seriously considered.

• Like 2

still awaiting for this feature (anchor point within note) to be available. I am writing down my technology notes based on different technology stack and this anchor tags is very useful at the top page each notes will have the link to different small sections (all within a single evernote note)

It has been over years and been a business user, can evernote come up with a solution for this??

Cheers and thanks

• Like 1

Having anchors within notes is something I would find really useful. I often end up with long notes that need parts to be addressable. Adding artificial strings to search for is a bit crude - an HTML anchor, or equivalent is really what I need for this use case.

Splitting up a long note into multiple notes would in many cases add other inconveniences that would more than cancel out the added convenience of note-level links.

Please add this feature!

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
13 minutes ago, Juan Luis said:

Links to a concrete part of a note.

If you review this forum, you will see the same request has been posted multiple times.
The request would be better addressed if you add your vote or comment to one of the original requests.
Repeating the request splits the user vote.

Personally, I avoid using long notes.  The definition of "note" usually indicates brief or short.

Regardless, I up-voted the request; voting buttons in the upper left corner 

This is absolutely a must have. I am thinking stop paying my premium subscription because I just realize that evernote is aware of that since 2015... and has done nothing about it.

• Like 2

Adding my support and thoughts to the general concept:

• Links to anchor points within notes: Useful, but not essential to me
  • Back-linking. Yes, every forward link should create a backward link. Ideally to the location the link was originally created (hmm, so anchor point links would be useful to me. Who knew?)
  • Wiki-style [[]] (Wikipedia uses {{}}) to create a link. Ideally this should do something like the following:
    • When you type the [[ make available a list of existing note titles to select from
    • As you type text after the [[, the list narrows to just those note titles that contain the string
    • If you close the ]] without matching a note, it's still a link and a blank note gets created automatically
    • Links that point to blank notes should be distinguished in some way
    • You should be able to use alternative text for a link. Wikipedia uses | to separate the link from the displayed text: {{Link | This is the displayed text for the link}}

I like the Roam Research feature of consolidating links at the bottom of a note, distinguishing between those that point somewhere and those that are still blank.

I plan to experiment with Roam in a couple of weeks when I have some free time. This is certainly one of the areas I will be looking at.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

No in-note TOC yet.

We hope that it means something that EN introduced 3 header level with v10. It would be a logical next step to use the headers to read the information to create a TOC at the beginning of a note, and provide a „go to“ option.

Not there, and nothing announced yet.

• Like 2

As many have said, this seems like a very basic and long requested feature.   You don't have to be creating long notes for this to be practical.   I'd like to be able to create links to any topic heading that falls below the fold in my note, just as you would for any well-designed HTML document.

• Like 2

What constantly surprises me about Evernote is that, although it is essentially a digital filing cabinet, they encourage users to use it for other things as well. But they don't adapt it sufficiently to make anything else than a digital filing cabinet.

When I started using EN I became very enthusiastic about it & was constantly looking at ways to extend its functionality. Example: ne of my new passions is journalling, which I started doing in Evernote but because of its poor text editor I now use another app.

So, 1 1/2 years after having embraced Evernote, I have come to the conclusion described in the 1st paragraph & only use it as a (semi)permanent store of my documents & records. Having said that, it is very good for that & things like the Web Clipper & Clearly are the best around. Even OneNote's web clipper is nothing more than a screenshot taker, therefore pathetic compared to Evernote's web clipper.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I came here today to see if anyone had asked for this feature. If not, I was going to start a thread on it.

Upvoted.

While I thank people who gave workaround ideas, they are not as good as having sections within a note you can jump to through links. Separate notes, even with a TOC, are much more unwieldy, especially when it's a document you are constantly adding to. With separate notes, you then have to add each new note to the TOC and then add a back link to the TOC from the new note, so that you can quickly hop between the various "sections". I do this constantly, because it's currently the only way to achieve something close to what I want, but I would much rather have links to take me to different sections within a note.

I've seen similar things on webpages. I think there must be a way to implement this in Evernote.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
10 hours ago, kd01 said:

With separate notes, you then have to add each new note to the TOC and then add a back link to the TOC from the new note,

I’m not a fan of a static TOC note.  I prefer to use a search to generate a note list. 

If I needed a TOC note I could simply drag the new list into a note

>>I've seen similar things on webpages. I think there must be a way to implement this in Evernote.

Sorry, no ideas and no response from EN on this request
This feature is supported in html and we used to be able to backdoor it into the enml code.  That option is no longer available

• Level 5*
On 10/15/2017 at 5:25 PM, BlueLobster said:

How I put it in the note that I want to refer back to: (a1507813587)

All I do to find that note again is search “a1507813587” and Evernote search takes me right to that spot in that note.

The great thing is that it works on any program that has search like Apple Notes, Bear, iA Writer, and so on. Even works on the Operating System too if you want to use Spotlight or Windows Search to find that note.

While your approach is helpful, it does not meet my need to have a table of contents at the top of a note, with links to each section referenced in the TOC to the actual section lower in the Note.

So we still need for Evernote to provide us with true internal bookmarks/anchors that link to text elsewhere in the Note.

• Like 1

Indeed, this is a feature I've been waiting for for a long time.  As mentioned, you see it on web pages, these "quick jump" sections.

I also know about the TOC note with links to other notes, but I don't want to have to skip and jump around all over the place.  That can quickly become distracting, and one of the points of Evernote is to increase productivity.

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, umina said:

This first note in this thread states that Anchor notes is "impossible".  First, are you kidding, anything is possible.

The post was indicating that Anchors are not possible using the existing Evernote editor/format (2015).
It's still not possible using the Evernote editor/format

You're welcome to indicate your support for the request using the voting buttons in the upper left corner.
So far, Evernote has not considered this a priority for notes

• Like 1

Having got used to using jump links to navigate in a variety of docs and notes, it is hard to put up with Evernote's limitation. Increasingly I am having to rely on Evernote's competitors which all seem to do jump link/bookmark navigation rather well. So it can't be difficult to implement.

I feel this is now a necessity that has grown out of more attention to workflow, rather than a 'desirable feature'.

Thanks, DTLow, and I agree with your strategy. For many situations... But I keep coming back to wanting jump links in Evernote and not having to swap between applications.

I think Evernote needs to be aware of the shift in expectations of users who will now be familiar with navigation in OneNote, Notion, Dropbox Paper,  ZohoWriter as well as the heavyweights MS Word, Apple Pages, Google Docs etc. 

Evernote must adapt and move on, or it will wake up and discover that its user base has moved on...

Bore da, Gazumped, from just over the border!

I do use TOC notes sometimes, and it works well when it works, if you see what I mean. When standing in front of people I will always prefer to stay in one app and not at the mercy of wifi or internet or any complication.

However, my main point is about Evernote sustaining its development (this discussion has run five years!) and Evernote being aware of people's experience of competing applications and their rising expectations. 'Connectedness' has become a key value.

I am not a developer, but I would imagine that bookmarks and anchors would be quite straightforward, working from a x(h)tml base.

• Level 5*
On 4/30/2019 at 12:35 PM, OSPF2Fullstack said:

Any of you know the developer accounts? This needs to be escalated and given proper attention. I LOVE evernote, but this is enough to push me away when my renewal ends. 

You're welcome to indicate your support for this feature.  The voting buttons are at the top left corner of the discussion.

I'm sure the Evernote team are aware of this request.

imoh   Evernote provides an editor that's adequate for basic notes.  For extended features, I use dedicated editors.

On 12/31/2015 at 6:20 AM, JMichaelTX said:

This is a very, very, long-standing HTML feature, and oh so very useful for long notes.

Two features I see essential for long (more than one page/screen) notes:

1. Anchors/bookmarks
  2. Collapsible sections

Both have been available in web pages since the early days of the web (late 1990's).

ATTN:  Evernote/ @Jackolicious, @SoftwareMarcus, @Justin Street:   Come on, this is the very definition of productivity!

Agreed - Evernote, please make this happen soon. It's making your platform look archaic, and my longest notes are practically unusable without this feature. Paid users have been asking for it for years. If it doesn't appear soon, I'm going to convert my account to free and use another platform for premium features.

I really wish they'd add this feature.

I like to do one note per week for my work journal, but would like to be able to have an anchor type link within a note so I can quickly navigate to each day or specific content without so much scrolling.

A little less tweaking with existing features and a little work on something that's been asked for repeatedly for 7 years would be nice.

• Like 1

Going to add my voice to the long list of requests for this feature.  Certainly this is not as high on my wish list as the other ages-old feature request for collapsable text/sections... but this would be a great addition.  Maybe they can knock both out together someday!  Not holding my breath, but would be great

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

The interesting thing is that anchors are allowed in the underlying HTML subset that Evernote uses to represent its note contents. But no Evernote client that I am aware of takes advantage of that, at least so far.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, sugoi said:

Could you elaborate a bit on your setup using PhraseExpress? I seems interesting.

Thanks!

PhraseExpress can emulate most of what you do with a keyboard or mouse.  It's simplest task is to insert text with the use a hotkey or phrase.  In addition to simple text creation I use it for reminder maintenance, searches, and other repetitive tasks within EN and email (forwarding/cleanup with addition of notebooks/tags).  Relative to anchors within a note:

1. Create the anchor, _Anchor1 for example, at the point in the note.  I use the _ prefix to create a unique search.
  2. Put the jump of point and a brief description at the top of the note, or wherever you want.  _Anchor1  Description of what is there.
  3. Create a PhraseExpress hotkey, per the above I use Alt+RightMouse.  The hot key is comprised of 
    1. Double click
    2. Copy
    3. Ctrl-F to search in the note
    4. Paste
  4. So whenever I hover over a word and press Alt+RightMouse context transfers to the next occurrence of that word in the note.

I don't have that many long notes so I don't use it often.  Perhaps not the most elegant thing in the world, but it works for navigating within a note. 

• Like 1
On 9/14/2015 at 10:15 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  AFAIK this is not possible;  you can link to notes,  but not to headings,  or bookmarks.  You could set up keywords at various points in a document and jump with searches - but that's not embeddable in a document.  You could also use a document type that includes this sort of linkability - Word documents or PDFs for example - and attach that to your note.

Suggestion of implementation

Have all H1, H2, ect auto create anchor points directly as an html element with conflict resilience with random note unique addition or only the random addition to help match current share URL style;

<h1 name="chapter-1-(iiop)">Chapter 1</a>
<h2 name="the-first-point-(273j)">The First Point</a>
<h1 name="chapter-2-(182u)">Chapter 2</a>
<h2 name="the-second-point-(273o)">The Second Point</a>
<h2 name="the-third-point-(yh76)">The Third Point</a>
<h3 name="refs-(iow1)">Ref's</a>
<h1 name="chapter-3-(ei8h)">Chapter 3</a>
<h3 name="refs-(10dj)">Ref's</a>

or

<h1 name="iiop">Chapter 1</a>
<h2 name="273j">The First Point</a>
<h1 name="182u">Chapter 2</a>
<h2 name="273o">The Second Point</a>
<h2 name="yh76">The Third Point</a>
<h3 name="iow1">Ref's</a>
<h1 name="ei8h">Chapter 3</a>
<h3 name="10dj">Ref's</a>

Then have an auto generated contents option to add and link/jump to (with style options), with flexibility when adding size options without breaking formats (see "10dj" in example) and auto refresh on note ether in near real time or every time a manual refresh/note is opened. Example 1 style wise;

• Chapter 1
    • The First Point
  • Chapter 2
    • The Second Point
    • The Third Point
      • Ref's
  • Chapter 3
    • Ref's

Example 2 style wise;

Chapter 1
 The First Point
Chapter 2
 The Second Point
 The Third Point
  Ref's
Chapter 3
 Ref's

Example 3 style wise:

• Chapter 1
  • The First Point
  • Chapter 2
  • The Second Point
  • The Third Point
    • Ref's
  • Chapter 3
  • Ref's

Example 4 style wise:

• Chapter 1: The First Point
  • Chapter 2: The Second Point / The Third Point >> Ref's
  • Chapter 3: Ref's

-------------------------

Edit: One last idea, have in link function (or a right click insert) searchable links to headers in document or title with link (again searchable popup) for quick reference.

• Like 1
On 2/22/2019 at 3:12 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting Inline Tags/Anchor Points have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity.

(This is a separate request from the ability password protect the Evernote App itself)

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for Inline Tags/Anchor Points here!

How many power users does it take to get a feature developed? Links within notes would take you 1 - 2 weeks (one sprint). Its also a feature all of your major competitors have.

I think you need to look at your voice of the customer feedback a little more seriously. Evernote is supposedly known for its design thinking methodologies. But clearly this is not the case.

Its been 6 years and hundreds of customers requesting this feature. Its time to start listening or start losing.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, himanshu219 said:

+1 I really miss this feature no wonder it's second most voted feature request. Any ETA for this request, it's been six years since the thread creation. Also would urge the admins to atleast put a feature-request tag. 

I think they already know it's a feature request...

This will be great. Not sure if we are meaning the same thing. Recently, i have been using the Zettlekasten method in note taking. 

The Roam Research software got this feature where any word, sentence, bullet block, can be tagged, and turned into a page/link. 

Over time, these tags crossed link and form a web of knowledge. 

Right now in evernote. I rely on the "Context" and Search feature to pull out possible related notes/content. I also manually create links (cross reference) to my notes. I will be very powerful if evernote have that feature, inline tagging or linking. 

• Level 5*
On 7/26/2020 at 2:16 AM, Glenj said:

Could Evernote please consider having a feature that enables the user to place a bookmark(s) at certain place(s) within a note?

I merged your post with an existing discussion for this feature     
To indicate your support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

The idea of links within notes is exactly what I would like to see as well. However, I see there might be a big reason why this has not been accepted yet. Evernote, up to now, has been at least 5 different separate versions on the various platforms. To add a feature like this would have required 5 major, different software development projects. So the priority was set to consolidate everything onto one application and then start considering features to add. This way only one development project will be needed to add any major feature.

Let's let Evernote complete its current effort and hopefully then they will start adding nea amazing features like Links Within Notes!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, oma5 said:

Let's let Evernote complete its current effort and hopefully then they will start adding nea amazing features like Links Within Notes!

So amazing that Evernote hasn't been able to deliver this for over a decade, while tiny open source competitors started within the last few years allow you to easily navigate long notes.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Since there are no backlinks (hello Roam)

Also Joplin, where you can have automatically displayed in every note the backlinks to other notes. Plus it's very easy to create links to other notes without switching notes and without your hands ever leaving the keyboard. And it has outline view as well.

Evernote, by not having backlinks, very easy note linking or outline view, is miles behind the competition in this regard.

• Like 2

I like to keep a single note as a running kind of journal organized by date. Would love to have automatic toc/anchors for headings so when I put, e.g. a date in H2, it creates a link to it (see basic google doc for example). I still use other notes a lot, and appreciate all the features, but really want to have the option of having one long note. Also, password protection for notes, please. 

• Like 2

I think this is at least semi-related to this discussion...

I've long wanted to be able to link to a particular section/header/block in a note from another note.

Today, I clicked on a link in the task view to take me to a note so that I could view the task in the context of the position of where it was at in the note and... I could not find my task in my note at first! I wouldn't say my note was very long -- but I scrolled right past the task several times.

It would be great if when you click on a task/note it can take you right to the exact spot in the note where the task is.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Lots of disadvantages to long diary notes - slow to load / eggs in one basket (one error loses all records) / etc

Plus.  Create a new note - comes with created date;  add data and save in "Diary" file - sort in created date order.  New day = new note. 

Saves entering any dates at all.  Easier to find given entries,  and 'automatic toc' is just a listing of those entries.  Third-party add-in Filterize will keep that up to date for you if necessary.

There's also a voting thread around for password protection,  though unless you're keeping medical, banking or financial detail in your notes it seems overkill for a daily record...

Thanks for the reply. I really understand the reasoning and logic behind one new note for each entry. Still, I'd prefer to have headers act as anchor links. This is done automatically in G Docs, but instead of using Google, I'd like to use Evernote. May not happen, but that's what I'm providing feedback about. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

One says "Oh, this brilliant idea was put on the table in 2014, and these morons still haven't got it".

The "moron" says "Look, this idea didn't make it since 2014, and we are still there and thriving without it".

Literally, nobody said moron but you.

I'd trade away ALL my feature requests if we could do away with your brand of sarcastic, unhelpful moderation. 

Reminder that I pay for Evernote, so I'll go ahead and ask for the things I want from it in order to get the most out of it. That's literally what this board is for. The various workaround and alternatives you and others suggest won't do the trick. That's why people continue to ask for this (and other) features. BTW, whats being asked for here isn't radical. I'm guessing you have enough knowledge and experience to be helpful, but it feels too difficult, if those of us on the board just wear you out with our input, maybe you should hang up the cleats for a while.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Drakyn said:

As many have said, this seems like a very basic and long requested feature.   You don't have to be creating long notes for this to be practical.   I'd like to be able to create links to any topic heading that falls below the fold in my note, just as you would for any well-designed HTML document.

As has already been mentioned in connection with this request - 

Evernote is interested in suggestions for new features - but if and when it decides to implement those features is entirely down to commercial decisions over which users have no information,  input or control.

There are work-arounds including the use of a 'table of contents' containing links to other notes which form part of the bigger document.  It's possible to have templates for specific purposes (forinstance) containing headings like:

• Intro
  • technical description
  • operation
  • finance
  • development
  • conclusion

- and to create notes where those headings (or more informative and specific ones) are links to the separate text.

Additional items - or even additional tables of contents - can be added as required.

Unless and until Evernote introduces a new specific linking feature,  there are two options - embrace the work-arounds,  or find other software.

Voting,  at top left of this page,  will help support this request!

my feature requests/wish list

1. Ability to link to specific section of a note. -- my use case is to reference to a specific point from another note.

2. Backlinks - Yeah i know we can manual create links, it will be faster and less disruptive to thinking process if a simple [[ key command bring out recently edited notes to link to. 

I know, different apps has it's different purposes.. Since it's a feature request post. This is my requests.  

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Some people write jumbo notes and ask (with emphasis, sometimes a lot of it) the program to be changed.

Others accept there are currently limits to what the program can do, write shorter notes and link them together using table-of-content and links pointing from one short note to the other. The second group does not suffer as much from note duplication as the first one as well.

You can knock your head on the wall until it hurts - or you watch a little, see and take the door.

This is not to say it would not make total sense to get the requested feature (I have vote it up quite a while ago as well), but some arguments I read here produce nearly physical pain when thinking them through.

I love Evernote and actively use Internal Note links in my Notes. I have not been able to create links to sections in a long Note like I can in MS Word or OneNote. This would be a great organizational enhancement.

• Level 5

Just a hint I already posted above: EN can surprise a user when notes grow longer and longer. Long text notes are AFAIK a Risk factor for syncing problems, leading to note duplication.

Beside this I agree that the flexibility to jump right into the correct place in a note would be a very valuable feature, for many use cases.

I need the ability to create links within a page (e.g., a "Page Contents" link list at the top of the note). I end up breaking up long notes into several shorter notes, just to make it easier to find specific sections. This is SUCH a basic & obvious requirement of effective electronic notes. Please implement this ASAP!!!

BTW, the ability to search within a note is not the same functionality. Sometimes you don't know or can't remember the terminology for what you seek, and seeing a list of page topics is immensely helpful. It's also very helpful to show the organization of the page before plunging in to reading or re-reading it.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Breaking up long notes is better as well for syncing.

You can already add keywords to your note to identify jump markers. Just search for them, either by general search or when in a long note by the in-Note search.

Something like „%chapter1“, using the leading symbol to identify the marker.

Not as good as linking into notes, but better than nothing.

When I have been frustrated with Evernote during the recent development process, I've tried Notion a number of times and... nope... Evernote still is the best. I'm really looking forward to the day when links can be created within a note (similarly to how Kindle allows jumping to a footnote and back again to the originating point in text) and also between notes from one part of a note to another part of a completely different note and back again. :)

• Like 3
  • Evernote Expert
8 hours ago, oma5 said:

I'm really looking forward to the day when links can be created within a note (similarly to how Kindle allows jumping to a footnote and back again to the originating point in text) and also between notes from one part of a note to another part of a completely different note and back again

As long as you don't hold your breath while you wait...😉

• Haha 3
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

...it's a significant investment for minimal gain...

Hi gazumped,

I appreciate your perspective on this, but I genuinely believe that having bookmarks in Evernote would be a significant enhancement for many users. As someone who strives for organization and deals with an extensive collection of notes, the ability to bookmark specific content within a document is more than just a luxury—it's a practical necessity.

In my experience, using Microsoft OneNote at work has highlighted the efficiency that bookmarks bring to the table. It's not just about having a feature for the sake of it; it's about streamlining our workflow and making the most out of the powerful tool that Evernote is.

Imagine a lengthy note where you've meticulously documented various details, and you need to quickly refer back to a specific section. Bookmarks make this process seamless and save valuable time. This feature is not just an option in other applications; it has become a standard, and Evernote, being the fantastic platform that it is, should keep up with these expectations.

I believe suggesting improvements is a testament to our appreciation for Evernote and our desire to see it evolve into an even more versatile and user-friendly tool. Let's advocate for enhancements that can benefit everyone in the Evernote community.

image.thumb.png.cbba4658da706949afab7718b5237891.png

• Like 1

soralsokal

It is possible usings special tags.

see in https://eatags.com/

I don't have time to look at it extensively for the moment, but if it does what I think it does, this feature will be a HUGE help for me and many others who have been wanting the ability to have a CLICKABLE Table of Contents in long Notes with large amounts of text. I wonder why it hasn't been mentioned in the 6 or 7 months I've be active on the forums? I can especially see it be most beneficial for students with their study notes!

I'll be testing it out as soon as I can and will report my findings in a new thread. However, that could mean as little as a day or two or as much as a few months. I can't make definitely plans for anything as my body frequently refuses to cooperate (MS), so if someone else wants to take on, please do. :) And let us know what you learn please!

Thank you, SoralSokal (sp?) for mentioning this. I greatly appreciate it! :) :)

Wordsgood

• Level 5*

soralsokal

It is possible usings special tags.

see in https://eatags.com/

I don't have time to look at it extensively for the moment, but if it does what I think it does, this feature will be a HUGE help for me and many others who have been wanting the ability to have a CLICKABLE Table of Contents in long Notes with large amounts of text. I wonder why it hasn't been mentioned in the 6 or 7 months I've be active on the forums? I can especially see it be most beneficial for students with their study notes!

I have to wonder whether this actually makes the TOC items clickable, at least to jump to other locations in a note. That would need to be supported by the UI, and as far as I know, that doesn't work: I tried constructing one by hand in the ENML Editor, but it's also very possible that I didn't code it correctly, either. It'd be good to know whether it was, for sure.

The other thing is that I don't follow the 3rd-party Evernote tools market all that closely, which is why I don't know about this product. I'm sure that there are some nice ones out there, but mostly don't integrate well, and they just seem to get more in my way than I'd like -- I prefer to use the tools that are a part of Evernote for day-to-day usage.

I'll be testing it out as soon as I can and will report my findings in a new thread. However, that could mean as little as a day or two or as much as a few months. I can't make definitely plans for anything as my body frequently refuses to cooperate (MS), so if someone else wants to take on, please do. :) And let us know what you learn please!

Probably better to continue in this thread, since it's all related, and probably best to keep things together. Or consider posting in the 3rd-party forum, just down the hall, which is available for that. Good luck.

• Like 1

Wordsgood,

EATags It’s a free suscription service that provides extra features for Evernote® users.

You must asign the special tag 'eat.toc' to the note when you want the Table of Contents, and add #, ##, ### etc. before each title, subtitle, etc. in the note.

After the sync, the service insert the table at the top of the note.

Because it is a web service, works on any device.

EATags participated in the Devup 2012, see http://evernotedevcup.challengepost.com/submissions/8645-eat-ags

• Like 2

Wordsgood,

EATags It’s a free suscription service that provides extra features for Evernote® users.

You must asign the special tag 'eat.toc' to the note when you want the Table of Contents, and add #, ##, ### etc. before each title, subtitle, etc. in the note.

After the sync, the service insert the table at the top of the note.

Because it is a web service, works on any device.

EATags participated in the Devup 2012, see http://evernotedevcup.challengepost.com/submissions/8645-eat-ags

That's great news. Thanks Rebianchi! :)

• Level 5*

jefito,

The TOC items is clickable, and jump to other locations in a note.

Try it, it is very easy...

Interesting. I probably just bollixed the HTML code. Might have to try it myself.

Thanks!!

Wordsgood & jefito:

Try it & let me know if you have problems.

Some notes:

- The insertion of the TOC may not be immediately after the first sync.

- After the insertion of the TOC, the 'eat.toc' is removed, and an 'eaten: [toc]' is added to indicate that the note was processed.

- If after the insertion of the TOC you change the note, adding and/or removing titles, then it is necessary to add again the 'eat.toc' tag (and remove the eaten: [toc])

Also see the web site for other features, like inserting math formulas with LaTex.

I have no relationship with the EATags developers, and I'm new to eatags, so any problems would probably best to contact them directly.

• Like 2

Does this html link jump to a separate note, or is it an active heading in the current note?

Hi. Please don't take offense to this, but I'm about as tech clueless as one can get and I had two thoughts after reading your note:

1) Yes, to me at least, it's pretty clear that the link allow you to navigate from the TOC to headings within the same note.

2) If you just click on the link provided a few posts back in this thread, it will take you directly to the EATags service site, where everything is explained with text, graphics and How To videos, far better than anyone could explain it here. Just go have a look yourself.

Hi. Please don't take offense to this, but I'm about as tech clueless as one can get and I had two thoughts after reading your note:

1) Yes, to me at least, it's pretty clear that the link allow you to navigate from the TOC to headings within the same note.

2) If you just click on the link provided a few posts back in this thread, it will take you directly to the EATags service site, where everything is explained with text, graphics and How To videos, far better than anyone could explain it here. Just go have a look yourself.

It is not clear to me from the EATags site that one can link to other notes, which is what I'm after.

• Level 5*

It is not clear to me from the EATags site that one can link to other notes, which is what I'm after.

I believe from what I read, this service is able to build a table of contents for a notebook, but I haven't tried the service yet.

TdeV

There are two options:

Option 1:

If you add the 'eat.toc.notebook' tag to an NEW note in a notebook, then after sync you get a TOC (with link clickables) to ALL notes in that notebook.

It is similar to Cmd-A to select all notes, right-clik for copy links and paste in an empty note.

Option 2:

If you add the 'eat.toc' tag to an EXISTING note in a notebook, then after sync you get a TOC (with link clickables) to all titles that have #,##, etc. in the SAME note (Each # is an indentation)

If in a note you have:

#Title 1

bla, bla, bla

##Title 2

bla, bla, bla

###text3

then after sync you will get:

Title 1  <-- clickable links

Title 2

Text3

----------------------------

#Title 1

bla, bla, bla

##Title 2

bla, bla, bla

###text3

• Like 4

Hello everyone,

+1000000000000 for this feature

Please!! Add this feature soon! Our notes are bigger even more and it is super complicated go directly to a subsection in it.

Why aren't they a "menu format" to add H1, H2, H3 titles, and then get a table of content automatically from there.

• Like 1

To get a TOC for all notes within a notebook you don't need a 3rd party app, EN has that feature itself.

EN does not have a TOC feature for titles within a note, which is where EAtags comes in handy.

Thank you for your answer,

I think it is not really friendly, also, because you can't define styles like Titles  (h1, h2, h3...) to style your notes. Is really rare that EN doesn't have this feature, for me is essential.