Tag search and tag visibility issues

Mark78

The new web client is looking good! Very clean, good organization. Two observations of problems with tagging a note:

1. Cannot search based on a term IN a tag. For instance, I have a tag "Customers - Commercial". I'm using to typing in "Comm" and finding this tag quickly. The beta only searches the front of the string. So, using my example, "Comm" only brings up tags that have "Comm" at the front of the tag, not "Comm" contained in the tag. Maybe I'm missing something?

2. Not all tags that are assigned to a note are visible. Runs off the screen. Need to have all assigned tags visible, as it is in the current version of the web client.

I like the way the tags are now, especially the way creating a filter on the tags work from within the note.

Thank you.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 9/30/2019 at 4:02 PM, mdvanouse said:

Cannot search based on a term IN a tag. For instance, I have a tag "Customers - Commercial". I'm using to typing in "Comm" and finding this tag quickly. The beta only searches the front of the string. So, using my example, "Comm" only brings up tags that have "Comm" at the front of the tag, not "Comm" contained in the tag. Maybe I'm missing something?

Hmmm, as far as I recall, Evernote only has ever supported prefix search in text and tags (i.e., always from the start of the word or tag). But just tested this and it seems to work in the beta web editor and also the latest Windows client.

Semi O/T: I continue to dislike the fact that tags are displayed at the bottom of the note, rather than at the top next to the notebook name.

53 minutes ago, jefito said:

Hmmm, as far as I recall, Evernote only has ever supported prefix search in text and tags (i.e., always from the start of the word or tag). But just tested this and it seems to work in the beta web editor and also the latest Windows client.

Semi O/T: I continue to dislike the fact that tags are displayed at the bottom of the note, rather than at the top next to the notebook name.

Not so. I'm doing just that right now in the current (not beta) version. Typing a word will find it anywhere in a tag. Could be the first word, a middle word or the last word in a tag. That's the same functionality with the Android app. But not in the Windows desktop application. VERY helpful feature. We need it back! 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, mdvanouse said:

Not so. I'm doing just that right now in the current (not beta) version. Typing a word will find it anywhere in a tag.

Um, I confirmed that the behavior you described does work in my previous post: "But just tested this and it seems to work in the beta web editor and also the latest Windows client". I was previously unaware of this behavior; indeed, it contradicts to official search grammar (see https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php ) and can't tell whether it's recent behavior or has been present all along and I never noticed since I tend not to use space characters in my tags. BTW, it's not anywhere in a tag; it's got to be space-delimited' i.e., a search on "ommercial" won't match your example; it's got to be "Commercial", at least in my testing in the Windows and web clients.

Anyways, the specific tag matching section:

tag:[tag name] - will match notes that have a tag with the literal name (word or quoted phrase). This requires an full case-insensitive match on the tag name. The tag name may end with a wildcard to match the beginning of a tag. The pattern will match from the beginning of the full tag name, and punctuation will be included. I.e. the tag and the search string are not tokenized by whitespace and/or punctuation. This can be used multiple times to specify all tags that must match the notes.

In fact, according to the rules, the use of a literal text search doesn't match against tag names, though I do know that it really does in the Windows and web clients at least. This kind of inconsistency is irksome when you use multiple Evernote clients (and let's not even speak of the unspeakable subtag matching hack unique to the Windows client). So consistency across platforms and proper documentation would be really nice.

That being said, infix matching in tag names -- even if it's space-delimited infixes -- would be useful for some workflows (yours obviously) by adding another way to express tag hierarchies. True infix searching of text and tag names would be even better and more generally useful.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, mdvanouse said:

Bottom line: Evernote needs to restore the functionality to their new web app. That's my point.

On 10/6/2019 at 9:19 PM, jefito said: