romelden

ANSWERED Is Evernote ready for macOS Catalina?

Hello EN team,

We (most of the EN users) are really suffering from Evernote in the last 2 macOS upgraded.  Even this Safari upgraded.  Actually, Apple announced stopping 32 bit apps support years ago.  But YOU did nothings.  And how about this Catalina upgrade?  Will it missing some functions, or missing pdf attachments again?  What is the beta release from Apple for?

Please noticed that Evernote no more the unicorn of note taking apps anymore.  STOP disappointing those users still standing with you. 

Steven

• Like 2

Catalina released. But EN team do not have any official announcement on this.  
Am I safe to use my evernote after my Mac upgrade?

1 hour ago, romelden said:

Catalina released. But EN team do not have any official announcement on this.  
Am I safe to use my evernote after my Mac upgrade?

No Evernote issues with Catalina (so far)

Some extensions were dropped with the Safari upgrade, including the Evernote Web Clipper

My MAC just did the Catalina upgrade. When I open Skitch and do a crosshair screenshot, it takes a picture of my screensaver image not what I've crosshaired. Anyone experiencing this or know how I can fix it? Thx!

When I cross-hair something on my screen to save the image, Skitch is taking an image from my second monitor of my screen saver image, not what I have cross-haired. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

I just figured out that it's a permission setting in Settings! Fixed.

Posted (edited)

Once I updated to macOS Catalina, and I tried to use Skitch, it now does not allow me to take a screenshot of anything but the desktop. Is this some weird permission issue?

Edited by Ustice
Accidentally sent without finishing

Found the fix!!! 

Update security and privacy, screen recoding and allow Skitch .. Phew, thought I had lost my favourite Mac tool

Update 

After a day of using after upgraded, EN seem ok and no big problems (not every feature used or check). Hope it will be okay. 
I am using EN in China (Don’t ask me why don’t use China version), but there is many problems. For e.g., template cannot be saved or get. And ever the web version, the password field didn’t pop up after input username at user page. 
Hope it can be fixed in future. 

thanks

Hi @dianeincanada I have the same problem currently - but I can't see where to change permissions. I can't find anything under System Preferences -> Extensions. Please let me know where you  changed your permissions. Thank you.

Screenshot_11_10_19__12_41_am.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 12.42.59 am.png

Replying to myself here as my post got moved and I couldn't find it. I followed the instructions and it fixed my problem

Hello, I am unfortunately unable to click on the Skitch app under screen sharing and have re-downloaded Skitch four times. Any suggestions? I am unable to take any screenshots, when I select "Screen Snap" in Skitch, nothing happens; I do not see the desktop or anything.

I just upgraded to Catalina as well.

Thank you!

F3427940-3C8F-4C79-B0F3-CCE4B9B49A74.jpeg

23 hours ago, jfrenette196 said:

Hello, I am unfortunately unable to click on the Skitch app under screen sharing and have re-downloaded Skitch four times. Any suggestions? I am unable to take any screenshots, when I select "Screen Snap" in Skitch, nothing happens; I do not see the desktop or anything.

I just upgraded to Catalina as well.

Thank you!

F3427940-3C8F-4C79-B0F3-CCE4B9B49A74.jpeg

Following this - my issue as well!! 

Skitch is working for me under Catalina:

• Downloaded from the EN website
  • Logged into my account, which created a Skitch Notebook in my Evernote. But it did not show in the systems settings security page. So I tried something:
  • I closed Skitch and moved the apps icon from Downloads (where it had stayed) into the Programs folder of my Mac. Reopened, then (!) it showed in system settings, security.
  • In system settings of Catalina, in Securitiy I authorized Skitch as posted above by Shane. To allow this, the lock has to be opened (admin user), and Skitch has to be closed temporarily.

Initially Skitch did not show, which was caused by the fact that it stayed in the Downloads folder. Maybe this is because it is not delivered as a DMG-file, it is a ZIP. When you open it, the app starts, but is not transferred to the Programs folder.

• Like 1

When I go to the System Preferences and Security & Privacy and then it asks you to select the apps or sw you would like to enable to screen record. I do not have any items popup in that window. 1820668771_ScreenShot2019-10-25at11_02_33AM.png.e60fd5d6353d0c1993818b7d48835908.png

I have an update for this! I downloaded Skitch from the app store rather than from the web, and IT WORKED!!!!

• Like 1

I upgraded to Catalina yesterday, and the Evernote app will not open. I click the dock icon, the icon bounces for a while and then stops. 

• Activity Monitor shows Evernote used 0.01 CPU seconds, and there is no current activity.
  • Click and hold the dock icon. The popup menu says "Application not responding" and offers a Force Quit option.
  • I've tried twice from the dock, and went to the app store and did an Open from there with the same result.
  • I have EN version 7.13 installed, which I believe is the latest version.
  • All other apps are working correctly, except for mSecure, which has exactly the same problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am using the web version for now.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jack Madomo said:

I upgraded to Catalina yesterday, and the Evernote app will not open. ... Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am using the web version for now.

Is this the app-store version, or direct download   
I have no problem with the direct direct download

I don't spend a lot of time troubleshooting my devices   
My ultimate solution is to delete the app, database, ...associated files    
then reinstall.  The app AppCleaner is recommended for this

Thanks for responding. I solved my problem.

I had the app store version so I just moved the app to the Trash and re-downloaded it from the App Store. It started and connected to the database with no problem.

I had quit the app before I upgraded the OS, so I'm not certain why the existing version wouldn't open. But I'll file that with all the other unresolved mysteries of daily life.

We should all keep in mind that Apple is delivering Catalina updates without counting the OS index up. It is still 10.15 for me, but I know from contacts to Apple support that they have upped the OS to fix some issues.

So maybe meanwhile one of this minor OS fixed installed, and helped solve some problems.

18 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Apple is delivering Catalina updates without counting the OS index up

I was wondering about this; my Mac updated yesterday from 10.15 to 10.15   
On the plus side, the update ran quickly with no issues 🙂

Yes, it seems to be no full downloads, but snippets of code that fix something. Even the support guys could not check whether it had loaded, they asked me to restart with cmd-r to rebuild the OS instead.

Have upgraded to Catalina. Now EN refuses to even start!

Any ideas?  

Thanks

David

18 hours ago, Jack Madomo said:

I upgraded to Catalina yesterday, and the Evernote app will not open. I click the dock icon, the icon bounces for a while and then stops. 

• Activity Monitor shows Evernote used 0.01 CPU seconds, and there is no current activity.
  • Click and hold the dock icon. The popup menu says "Application not responding" and offers a Force Quit option.
  • I've tried twice from the dock, and went to the app store and did an Open from there with the same result.
  • I have EN version 7.13 installed, which I believe is the latest version.
  • All other apps are working correctly, except for mSecure, which has exactly the same problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am using the web version for now.

I'm having EXACTLY the SAME problem! :( HELP!

Catalina is much stricter with security and certificates than the previous OS versions.

So maybe you can find an issue when checking the Macs system preferences, especially the security settings. One thing could be the allowance to read/write the systems disk drive.

If not, the best way is probably to completely uninstall the EN app, using the AppCleaner app. Make sure you check everything related to EN.

Then restart the Mac, and reinstall EN using the version directly from the EN website. After it is on your Mac again, log in and sync your notes back from the EN server.

Caution: If you have local notebooks, they will be lost when doing the uninstall. If this is the situation, maybe you have to roll back to Mojave, export your local notebooks into an ENEX file and try it again.

P.S. I have upgraded to Catalina, no problem, reinstalled the WebClipper, no problem ... sometimes no one can tell what works, and why.

PinkElephant,

Permissions may have been the issue. Remarkably when I upgraded to Catalina, EN Web Clipper was installed on Safari and worked fine, but I believe it doesn't store anything locally. When I trashed the installed version of EN and downloaded a fresh copy from App Store the permissions would have been handled behind the scenes.

Maybe it is it - fortunately it needs permissions only once per app.

From my observation, permissions for some apps are asked for actively, whereas for other apps there is no such request. They simply stop working.

When you check, you find the app, but the checkmark next to it is missing. When checked off, and sometimes after a restart, things go back to normal.

Hi all,

it looks like that after getting the newest iOS, my Evernote (7.13, latest) doesn't reflect to system Dark mode. Is there anyone who realized something similar? 

Regards,

Akos

Thank you for this thread.  However, it is not easy to follow for average computer users.  

1. What the heck is skitch?  is this the web clipper?  The name of the elephant?  *edited to add:I figured this out: it's another app/extension for evernote.  Please make it clearer to anyone with my issue with the safari evernote clipper itself.  It was only clipping the the desktop picture.  I did see pop ups for the extension asking for permission to access the screen and these were checked. There was no mention of having to dig into settings to make the extension work properly.  Also the lovely elephant next to the address bar that could provide even more value to me (clipping articles without the sidebars) was not showing.

2. As directed here, I went to settings>privacy and security>screen recordings and only evernote showed as requesting permission.  Once I clicked that, (and closed and opened evernote) the safari clipper worked!!!! 

3. Please PIN THE EVERNOTE STAFF SOLUTION to the top of thread!!

Cheers

Edited by WriterOrganizing
figured some things out after posting

Skitch is a tool to annotate pictures and pdf files. It used to be an independent app, but was taken over by EN and sort of integrated into EN.

Web Clipper is a tool to draw content from the web and save it as a EN note.

With MacOS 10.15 Catalina many apps need to be  authorized again or newly to make them work. This is due to the stricter security settings that come with Catalina. I think in an environment with new threats is is good than Apple is locking up the OS. I am nearly through with allowing all that is to be allowed, things are becoming quiet and performance is back.

Found that Web Clipper for Safari can be download from App Store.  

It work ok.  Still looking for a new function, capturing the hold webpage...... just like the new screen capture function on iPhone.

Thanks.

Evernote crashes 100 percent of the time on Catalina for me. No response from support on my ticket.

@ArneG Did you try to completely uninstall (with AppCleaner) and reinstall from scratch ?

EN will then rebuild the database from the server. Take care to make backups of all local notebooks, because they will not be on the server copy.

Here is a list of what I've done:

• I'm on a fresh install of Catalina
  • Installed
  • Uninstalled - deeply
  • Reinstalled from app store
  • uninstalled -deeply
  • reinstalled from web download
  • in all cases when I first start the app it loads until I enter my credentials - then hard crash as it tries to sync
  • If I disable all network connections it loads until I re-enable network - then hard crash again.

Round and round.  

37 minutes ago, ArneG said:

Uninstalled - deeply

What's involved in "Uninstalled - deeply"

Has anyone figured this out?  I'm on 10.15.2 and EN 7.13, and it crashes as soon as I log in and it commences the sync.  Looks like this has been a problem with Catalina for months. I wasn't having the issue on my prior MBP with Catalina but on my new MBP 16" it's been a no-go regardless of what I try, including multiple reinstalls.  Really frustrating and I've seen no indication that Evernote is aware of or doing anything about it.