smiller57

Scannable Cannot Save to Camera Rill

Idea

I recently updated to iOS 13.1. Since doing so I have been unable  to save scannable scans as JPEG’s into my camera roll. I am not sure how to bubble this up to the proper people to ensure that it gets addressed at some point soon. Any thoughts on who to tell or what the procedure is?

6 replies to this idea

Just gave it a try on my iPhone 11 with iOS 13.1 and Scanable 2.3.3:

Open, scan

Click on the picture preview below the live camera picture. You get this screen (sorry, all in German):

IMG_0105.thumb.jpeg.569851cc738d57048552fa753f1915f2.jpeg

Click on the left Option. Now you can save in the camera roll or NEW into the files app.

IMG_0106.thumb.jpeg.a37a9c44c40d0d536ca264ecbdf17ce5.jpeg

Thank you for your replies pink elephant and gazumped. 

I have done a fresh reinstall and it does not seem to do the trick,

I have also followed your suggestion pink elephant and I am not getting the same results. When I click on save to camera roll or Evernote, I get no response.  It’s as if the links are completely broken. Perhaps we have different versions?

A30CD219-2349-49E3-A4C5-4B462663A63B.png

126453FB-8AF2-4616-94AB-2AD8848FFA83.png

You find the versions of the programs I use on top of my post.

Because I could not resist to get myself a new iPhone 11 Pro Max, the installation is completely new.

I just tried the complete workflow, and it saved a pdf into a new EN note in my „@ INBOX“ and a jpeg into my camera roll.

However, this is why I usually don’t use Scanable at all. I usually use ScannerPro from readdle. It has an option to create workflows. I have several workflows, one for each regular document type. So if I scan a receipt, I pick the receipts-workflow, which automatically sends the scan into the receipts-notebook and tags it with some standard tags like the current year, the tag „receipt“ and the tag „ScannerPro“ for the source.

It is weird that a 3rd parts app does this, which is not possible in Scanable itself.

If I scan from an open note, I use the scanning ability build into EN itself. 

For me, there is no usecase for Scanable at all. I just happen to still have the app on my phone, copied to the new phone from the days when I tested it.

Thanks for this feedback.  This is super valuable.  I always seem to defer to native applications because I assume they will always lead to a better workflow.  I will definitely check out Scanner Pro. 

One more thing: I have set my ScannerPro in a way that every scan will be saved automatically to my OneDrive as well. I do not have an Office license, so I just have the 5 GB from the free account. There is not much you can do with that little cloud space, so I use it to save a copy of each scan I do.

Once every X months I simply empty the folder, and set it back for the next cycle.

The workflows have one issue at the moment: Once you have created a tag in them, you can not delete it. Since I tag everything with the year of creation, I have to delete and recreate the workflows currently when the new year starts. This does not take long, but I dislike any repetitive task I can avoid.

In summer I had a nice Skype interview with the Product Manager for ScannerPro at readdle, and she promised me she will put this on her list. Maybe I get a Christmas present before the year ends this time.

And one more hint: ScannerPro has its own OCR capability. Maybe check it out, how good it works on your docs. I found it pretty good for my mostly German language docs, and have set it to OCR right on my iPhone. Sometimes I have to wait a few seconds, before I can upload, but this is o.k.

The advantage is that the OCR result is embedded into the Pdf file itself. When EN does the OCR, I believe it will put the result somewhere into the note, not into the pdf. I prefer to have the OCR data go along with the file. When the Pdf comes with OCR data, EN will use it instead of OCRing it again on the server.