Venezia

App Reloading When Switching Back from Other Processes

When viewing notes on the phone, frequently I switch to other apps to do things like reply message, searching some content of the notes on the internet and so on. However, unlike the built-in Notes app on IOS, Evernote frequently reloads itself and returns to the top of the page and unsaves the action performed before switching to other apps. It very frustrating when the note is very long with lots of tables and we are editing something. It would be so much easier if the app can keep its status in memory much longer so that we can view the same things again after switching back. 

Since IOS Notes itself can do it and there is no problem on my Mac, I assume there could be a way of fixing this for IOS? I am using a iPhone 8 for reference. 

Thank you very much. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I too have noticed this, very annoying especially when you have spent only a microsecond in the other app (probably to copy or check something small). This is totally possible and I guess something is crashing or the system is putting evernote to the frozen state and its not recovering.

There were more serious problems before, like a complete freezing of the EN app when apps were switched. This was optimized some month ago, leading to what we have today. During this short break EN makes sure everything will work as expected. Probably it could be optimized - if you have a real problem, issue a support ticket.

If on the iPad, a good workaround is to use slide over when you just want to get something done fast in another app.

This not only happens when you switch apps. If you are in a meeting taking notes and you stop for a couple of minutes then when you go to start taking notes again the note refreshes and goes to the top of the note. I have had to stop using Evernote on my iPad for note taking in meetings. This has been an issue for many months and I keep getting told a fix is on its way but there have been several iOS app updates and still it is not fixed. 

Thank you for the reply. Interestingly, I thought the cause of this reloading is because of non-downloadable notebooks, and I subscribed to premium only attempting to fix this by enabling the offline mode (although failed xd). From my limited knowledge, I guess the cause could be some synchronization implementation, which Apple's Notes does very well. I hope Evernote tech team can see this and make some improvement. This sabotages the user experience a lot especially for cases like this, 

On 9/28/2019 at 5:59 PM, crawfordpatterson said:

This not only happens when you switch apps. If you are in a meeting taking notes and you stop for a couple of minutes then when you go to start taking notes again the note refreshes and goes to the top of the note. I have had to stop using Evernote on my iPad for note taking in meetings. This has been an issue for many months and I keep getting told a fix is on its way but there have been several iOS app updates and still it is not fixed. 

Evernote is well known for its simplicity and easy to use, but if this problem on IOS persists, it is actually better to just use Apple's most basic Notes app. 

That is exactly what I do now. In terms of just recording notes then in my view Apple Notes is a much better experience than Evernote. It is also much faster. It meets all my needs with the exception of being able to paste images into notes from the web application as I use Windows at work. 

Whenever editing a note there is a timeout in iOS evernote where it forces a refresh and loose cursor position and default to initial view as if you have just opened a note. This is especially annoying with longer notes that require scrolling. Scenario: if you want to take notes walking or in a meeting you cant just pull out your phone to write down information. There is almost always a lot of friction to resume content editing. Its ridiculous. Surely there is a way to sync notes to the server without distracting user from the most important task - content creation 

The timeout occurs when switching apps or after a brief phone sleep. Apparently its a normal behaviour confirmed by support. After syncing and crashing this has to be one of the most annoying features in the product that will eventually force me to switch to apple Notes app, which is excellent and free

Evernote really needs to get its product development act together, start listening to customers and stop product fragmentation chaos. I hope the new CEO gets what product development is. There is a lot of competition in the market already!

On 10/6/2019 at 9:37 PM, bo12 said:

The timeout occurs when switching apps

Not exactly a timeout, but a known limitation

>>Scenario: if you want to take notes walking or in a meeting you cant just pull out your phone to write down information. 

Works for me ( I'm using an iPad).  
I prefer the Notability app for note-taking, and save the document in Evernote as an attachment

I merged this discussion with similar posts

I am glad I am not the only one having this problem, which I have had for almost a year. I hope Evernote product managers will do something about it. Does anyone know how to code on a feature request? In this case removing and unwanted feature or a limitation.

The Notes app in IOS is actually much better than you think. It now has sharing folders capability and amazing handwriting support and UI. Sadly no tags. Also it’s not cross platform but that’s ok for many people

I have tried notability but it does not same plain text to Evernote. Also it’s a hack that should not exist in the first place 

+1

For me, I noticed this behavior (app reloading a lot) after the iOS 13 update. Definitely messes with the mind. :-)

• Like 1

I have experienced this on my iPad and iPhone for about six months and am puzzled why there are not more people complaining. It makes iPad note taking unusable. Maybe people do not take meeting notes on their ipads :-)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, crawfordpatterson said:

It makes iPad note taking unusable. Maybe people do not take meeting notes on their ipads 🙂

imho The ipad with Apple Pencil is a great solution for note-taking

I use the Notability app and store the document in Evernote as a note attachment

On 9/25/2019 at 7:16 PM, Venezia said:

When viewing notes on the phone, frequently I switch to other apps to do things like reply message, searching some content of the notes on the internet and so on. However, unlike the built-in Notes app on IOS, Evernote frequently reloads itself and returns to the top of the page and unsaves the action performed before switching to other apps. It very frustrating when the note is very long with lots of tables and we are editing something. It would be so much easier if the app can keep its status in memory much longer so that we can view the same things again after switching back. 

Since IOS Notes itself can do it and there is no problem on my Mac, I assume there could be a way of fixing this for IOS? I am using a iPhone 8 for reference. 

Thank you very much. 

THIS! It bugs me to no end. Especially when I need to bring up notes in a hurry.

• Like 1

I agree that this is a workflow killer even on an iPad. Anytime the ipad sleeps it wipes out any annotation I made. Useless.

• Thanks 1

So whats the next step? How do we get this change into the product backlog for Evernote to fix?

Opening a Support Ticket right now. 

H-O-L-Y  C-O-W!

I always use Evernote in the store when I shop with my list - but haven’t been in awhile. Obviously, something in Evernote has changed - I think since iOS 13 came out. Today, every time I came back to Evernote (I.e, the phone timed out or I had to my message my wife with questions about the list - always questions!), the app had gone clear back to “All Notes” - making me hunt for my Errands notebook and open my Shopping List Note. EVERY. TIME.

Was not that way in the past. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JeffreyC said:

H-O-L-Y  C-O-W!

I always use Evernote in the store when I shop with my list - but haven’t been in awhile. Obviously, something in Evernote has changed - I think since iOS 13 came out. Today, every time I came back to Evernote (I.e, the phone timed out or I had to my message my wife with questions about the list - always questions!), the app had gone clear back to “All Notes” - making me hunt for my Errands notebook and open my Shopping List Note. EVERY. TIME.

While waiting for a fix - an alternative to getting the note back is the shortcut star, most recent notes are at the top of the screen.

6 hours ago, JeffreyC said:

H-O-L-Y  C-O-W!

You should try cooking a recipe with Evernote on iOS or iPadOS. Just when you think you have everything under control the damn thing will refresh the screen mess up your state of culinary flow

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, bo12 said:

You should try cooking a recipe with Evernote on iOS or iPadOS. Just when you think you have everything under control the damn thing will refresh the screen mess up your state of culinary flow

My fix is to turn auto lock to never.  Keeps my screen cleaner too.  :)

• Haha 1

On 10/21/2019 at 3:29 AM, JeffreyC said:

H-O-L-Y  C-O-W!

Same! Sometimes I feel like I use old cell phone, which does not support multitasking, but not a smartphone

I had hopes the latest iOS 13 update would fix or help with this being they state one of the bugs they fixed was apps unloading from memory too quickly. Alas, sigh, no. 

Yes, I am having the same trouble. Also, whenever I use the app in SplitView (iPad), the typing becomes extremely laggy.