Jump to content
Glenn Shukster

ANSWERED Hyperlinks not working

Recommended Posts

Hi

In the last few days when I click on a hyperline in the body of Evernote note it does nothing.

Windows 10.

Any suggestions?

Glenn

 

Share this post


Link to post

If you haven't done this yet, try closing down Evernote completely (File > Exit; clicking the red X box only shuts down the interface). That will usually solve problems caused by code going astray in the computer's memory. Alternatively, open Task Manager and end all Evernote processes. In either case, then restart EN and hopefully it's fixed. If not, try a reboot of the computer. If that still doesn't fix it, you may want to open a support ticket.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Glenn Shukster said:

Thanks Dave

I reboot every day. 

So I took your advice and created a ticket.  

Rebooting does not flush the program in exactly the same way menu File/Exit does. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

Rebooting and menu File/Exit are not the same thing, File/exit flushes the program in a way that rebooting does not. 

Rebooting to me means shutting down and restarting ones computer. If that's what they're doing, then I'd guess that that accomplishes the same thing as File/Exit.

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, jefito said:

Rebooting to me means shutting down and restarting ones computer. If that's what they're doing, then I'd guess that that accomplishes the same thing as File/Exit.

Are you saying the usual File/exit advice to deal with issues that do not go away by rebooting is irrelevant?Just wondering.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Don Dz said:

Are you saying the usual File/exit advice to deal with issues that do not go away by rebooting is irrelevant?Just wondering.

What do you think a File/Exit does that a reboot doesn't? Both are going to shut down the Evernote processes. As long as Evernote's shutdown procedure is clean, quick, and orderly it should be pretty much the same thing. No guarantees on that, though. On a reboot request, you get a couple of seconds before the system takes you down. The critical thing at that point would be to flush the database to disk. Sync operations would be a secondary thing, since you can always pick those back up when you come back up again. Even so, there's an escape hatch that lets a process hold up system shutdown by raising a user message. I don't know whether Evernote employs that technique, though. We're really in @dcon land here.

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, jefito said:

What do you think a File/Exit does that a reboot doesn't?

I would have thought someone like you would be most familiar with the technical reasons for the usual File/exit advice vs rebooting.  I vaguely recall a dcon discussion a while ago, it would be tricky to locate. 

The most recent example I can recall is: rebooting does not preserve the last used note list sort, but File/exit does.  I believe there are others.

Yes, File/Exit is equivalent to reboot for most issues involving a misbehaved program, but my understanding is that File/Exit does something more in Evernote.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for all the help.

Yes I have tried both rebooting and exiting and neither works.

When Evernote support solves it I will post the answer here.

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, jefito said:

Rebooting to me means shutting down and restarting ones computer. If that's what they're doing, then I'd guess that that accomplishes the same thing as File/Exit.

Except that the clean shutdown process with EN sometimes takes longer than the time Windows allows when it's rebooting. End result - the registry settings don't properly get flushed. (Ever tried debugging a program during shutdown? Yeah, it's a problem... 🤣)

Before I left, I was working on a "stealth" project to always write the settings to the registry when they changed. That change was getting big/scary. Design advise: Never allow direct access to member variables in a C++ class.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, jefito said:

As long as Evernote's shutdown procedure is clean, quick, and orderly

2 out of 3's not bad...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, dcon said:

Except that the clean shutdown process with EN sometimes takes longer than the time Windows allows when it's rebooting. End result - the registry settings don't properly get flushed. (Ever tried debugging a program during shutdown? Yeah, it's a problem... 🤣)

Yeah, that's what I thought the difference would be; something not getting flushed properly, though I didn't figured that the registry would be the problem. We don't worry about shutdown in the software I work on, so I'm not all that familiar with all of the issues (though I did check in with the oracle: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20170329-00/?p=95855). So in any case, looks like there is a difference between the different sequences, and well spotted/remembered @Don Dz: I almost never reboot if I can help it, and haven't experienced this problem, so all I had to go on was what Microsoft and the Internet says about shutdown (I don't keep notes on Evernote issue, and mainly rely on my own non-ECC brain memory).

2 hours ago, dcon said:

Before I left, I was working on a "stealth" project to always write the settings to the registry when they changed. That change was getting big/scary. Design advise: Never allow direct access to member variables in a C++ class.

Ha-ha -- from the Department of No Good Deed Goes Unpunished. We have some similar issues around registry settings, which we use a lot, and it doesn't help that sometimes several settings are related such that if you change one you need to change others as well.

And yes, we all know that we're not supposed to allow direct access to member variables, but sometimes the rules take a back seat to expediency, and forget (until it's too late) that expediency is not really such a hot driver.

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, jefito said:

though I didn't figured that the registry would be the problem

I'm pretty sure that was the last thing done during shutdown. Obviously making sure the database is properly closed is the highest priority!

22 hours ago, jefito said:

but sometimes the rules take a back seat to expediency

Guess I'm pretty lucky at this point in my career - my bosses usually listen to me when I say it's worth taking the extra time now! Age (and experience) do still count for something in our world! (mumblemumble young whippersnappers and their framework-of-the-week mumble...)

Share this post


Link to post

I have run into this problem too. Right after I upgraded to Evernote version 6.21.2.8716 on Windows 10 Home edition, version 1903. It appears that clicking on an internal link results in Evernote executing a search, but the search condition includes the tags (or, at least some of them) from the referring note in the search. The upshot is that the link will work, i.e., the referenced note will be displayed properly, BUT only if it (the referenced note) has the same tags as the referring note.

This behavior seems like an obvious bug. Has Evernote Support provided a fix yet? I use this feature extensively and am dead in the water until it is fixed.

If there is an open support ticket on this, can it be updated to include the fact that it the linking failures appear to be the use of tags and folders.

Edited by eedeen
Updated to Evernote version from 6.21 to 6.21.2.8716

Share this post


Link to post

Solved:

It ended up there were 2 instances of Evernote running, and I was clicking on the old one.

Once the old one was removed everything worked fine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I've also been having issues with internal links not working since the most recent update 6.21.2.8716 (308716).  One example is this (see attached video):  An internal link works if the note is open, doesn't work on the same note in the preview window.  I've had links not work in open notes as well.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, hartman_md said:

I've also been having issues with internal links not working since the most recent update 6.21.2.8716 (308716).  One example is this (see attached video):  An internal link works if the note is open, doesn't work on the same note in the preview window.  I've had links not work in open notes as well.

 

On 9/25/2019 at 1:01 PM, eedeen said:

This behavior seems like an obvious bug. Has Evernote Support provided a fix yet? I use this feature extensively and am dead in the water until it is fixed.

I don't know whether what you are reporting is exactly the same as what the op described, since his solution doesn't apply in my case, but it is the same as the following discussion.  I opened a support ticked they told me they are working on it, they appear to see a connection between the different reports: 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...