Option to stop the EXE run warning in Evernote

I am working on converting some AH scripts for EN into EXE files, so far so good, except EN displays a message every single time: "You are about to open executable file "some-file.exe".  Are you sure you want to open this file?"

A forum search suggests stopping this is not currently supported, so now it is a request.

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

A forum search suggests stopping this is not currently supported, so now it is a request.

Please post a link to the forum topic you're referencing...

If the error coming from the .exe that you are creating, and that's the "some-file.exe" you see in the error message? I don't see how Evernote is getting into the mix here.

14 hours ago, DTLow said:

Is this specific to the AH .exe, or common to all .exe files?

Per the link to a comment by dconnet I just posted, all .exe files.

Since this info is pretty old, one would hope it was outdated by now, I suspect it isn't.

• Level 5*

So this is really nothing to do with AutoHotKey, then. Just the behavior of Evernote as it's been for some time. It'd be nice to know the rationale behind the prompt. Maybe a security issue? It could certainly be an attack vector, and I'd guess that AV probably wouldn't pick it up if it were malicious. But that's just guesswork on my part.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, jefito said:

that's just guesswork on my part.

I'd say it's a good guess - mine too.  If Evernote opened every executable file directly after a link it would be pretty easy for a user to accidentally start a process.  Having an "are you sure?" step seems like good practice where you're not sure how knowledgeable your users might be.

...Though I did try a link to a batch file "temp.bat" which included some links to executables and Evernote seemed quite happy to run a batch file without any further prompts,  so that might be a work-around...

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

..Though I did try a link to a batch file "temp.bat" which included some links to executables and Evernote seemed quite happy to run a batch file without any further prompts,  so that might be a work-around...

Already tried with Windows shortcuts, that also works, though it is an additional step for building every single script by hand.

I am basically trying to improve on the following post, the additional steps I have implemented are a bit burdensome since the process cannot be automated easily, but at least all EN settings are preserved, unlike with the original post:

12 hours ago, jefito said:

Maybe a security issue?

Pretty sure that's why. Say I create a note. Embed a link to a local exe (that you have too - like format.exe) and share that note.

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Though I did try a link to a batch file "temp.bat" which included some links to executables and Evernote seemed quite happy to run a batch file without any further prompts,  so that might be a work-around...

Sounds like somehow 'bat' didn't make it into the extension check list...  @RMorgan, maybe all types listed in $PATHEXT should be added to that check...

22 hours ago, gazumped said:

Busted... 😯

Yeah, I can't check the code to verify that anymore, but I do remember a fixed list existing... (a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far away, I was doing something in that code...)

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, dcon said:

(a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far away, I was doing something in that code...)

I usually think of that sort of activity as a jobs program for QA types... :) 

Hope you're enjoying your new gig. Do they want dark mode too?

Archived