How do I make links always open in mobile Safari (not the embedded browser)?

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, soundsgoodtome said:

How do I make links within notes always open in mobile Safari (instead of the embedded browser)? 

There is no option for this; the Evernote/IOS editor launches an embedded web browser

It's an extra step but the Safari icon is in the top right corner; an easy click

On 9/12/2019 at 6:57 AM, DTLow said:

There is no option for this; the Evernote/IOS editor launches an embedded web browser

Thanks for the reply. Helpful.

On 9/12/2019 at 6:57 AM, DTLow said:

It's an extra step but the Safari icon is in the top right corner; an easy click

Not helpful. Is it "easy" when you have to do it over 100 times in a session? No. If it were that "easy" I wouldn't have needed to post the question.

Your factual information is helpful and appreciated. Your opinions are not. 

Once again Evernote fails at the basics. Every other app I have that includes a built-in browser also offers a way to bypass it. I have several of them. But Evernote? No. Of course not.

• 1 year later...

I'm surprised that there's only one topic about this.  Really wish there was an option to bypass the built in browser.  Yes, you can tap on the Safari icon to open it, but this is problematic with certain URLs, such as verification links which may throw an error since the link was already opened in the embedded browser.  The only good alternative in this case is to copy the URL, manually open Safari, then paste it.  

Can we submit feature requests somewhere?

• 6 months later...

Just found this and completely agree with OP. 

I'm trying to increase my Evernote usage again after trying different tools and I can't even get a link to a Google Sheet to open in the Google Sheets app on my iPhone.  It just opens to the Evernote default browser and then opens up in Chrome if I click the "browser button".  This is the only app I have that does this. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Really?  This gap was reported 3 years ago and hasn’t been addressed yet?

why does Evernote work on new features, but not pay attention to simple problems, like this?  Or like Sync problems?

I’m a long term Evernote user but am growing more frustrated as they add features I don’t need but don’t address the basics. Time to look for alternatives.

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, PaulPD said:

This gap was reported 3 years ago and hasn’t been addressed yet?

Hi.  Seems like it may require Apple action to change the way things currently work.

30 minutes ago, PaulPD said:

why does Evernote work on new features, but not pay attention to simple problems, like this?  Or like Sync problems?

It's not a simple problem and likely not in their control. Sync,  however,  is being addressed - see separate thread... https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/142459-will-sync-ever-work-properly/?do=findComment&comment=659392

33 minutes ago, PaulPD said:

they add features I don’t need but don’t address the basics. Time to look for alternatives.

My colleague here said...

On 6/20/2021 at 7:48 AM, PinkElephant said:

If you prefer another solution, you should get in contact with support.

(We're -mostly- not support - you're (mostly) complaining at other users here...)

• Level 5

3 years ago there was no v10 client …

It is no gap, it is how it works. If you like it or not is probably not the utmost focus when designing software. As we learned over the last 2 years (that‘s when the new clients launched), the app runs inside of a framework. All interaction between app, the OS and other apps needs to be channeled through or handled by this framework.

This is probably behind the decision to open links in the build in browser first. It is then one click (tap) to move the session to Safari.

If you believe it should be „addressed“, just go ahead with a support ticket, or by the feedback function build into the clients. I am pretty sure this is not even on the „backlog“, the master of all things to be addressed. And I doubt it will make it there, but this is just my personal view.

• 1 month later...

This is a feature!! not a bug/issue/problem for Evernote . With embedded browser in app companies like Evernote can follow/track all your activities that they wouldn’t in external browser like Safari or chrome. Because external browser you can set privacy stylings, disable third party cookies, restrict cookie access etc. with embedded browser companies like Evernote evades that. So it’s profitable for them. Simple. Not user friendly nor in their best interest.

more read on this available on internet. Fb does it too

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, nirp said:

companies like Evernote can follow/track all your activities that they wouldn’t in external browser like Safari or chrome.

Evernote is using an "embedded browser" because "the Electron JS framework offers seamless cross-platform desktop development".  It's used by competitors like Notion and others like WhatsApp / MS Teams / Spotify / Discord and Twitch.  Evernote may track your activities so it knows how popular its features are with users,  but ultimately this is for its development and your benefit.  The company does not profit from or sell your data.

-And if you believe that you can browse completely privately in Safari and Chrome I have this bridge in London I could sell you for cheap...

• Level 5

Complete no sense, conspiration theory.

Just for fun (or better to know instead of  hearsay) I run a tracker on my network traffic.

Evernote is as clean as it gets - internal or external browser.

The post makes no sense for another reason: To use EN, you need to log in. And imagine, from that moment they know who you are. No need for tracking.

EN explicitly does not sell or share user data with others, and from what I see, I believe them.