Why Evernote Still Leads the Pack - For Me Anyway

It's that time of year where my subscription is close to expiring, and as useful as the app is -- the $90 CAD price tag is a little hard to swallow. I know, $90 to store all your useful data and keep you on track is not a huge burden, but when compared to MS Office that I just spent $80 on with multiple services, it seems a tad high.

I have to admit, I've been an EN user for years, but I typically start a new account with one of their "new account" promo codes to avoid paying full price, so that's why it looks like I'm a newb....but I digress.

As I looked at alternatives this morning I came across a note in Evernote that I created the last time I was eyeing alternatives. This one specifically was regarding OneNote and it's limitations as I saw them; No single sync button for all notes, annotations that aren't attached to the documents they markup, no great tags, less local storage on iPhone etc.

I then considered Bear (which is pretty good), and Apple's own Notes app since I'm paying for iCloud storage anyway. The trouble with both of these is, my work computer is a PC so web clipping is out from that device, and easily getting stuff into either from my Windows computer is a pain.

Evernote has clients for all my devices, great tagging, a great web clipper, the best annotation functions, and an easy way to get notes in and out - I'm not locked into it like I would be with Apple's Notes app.

So I guess I just came here to say that I think EN is still the best, most functional notes app - at least for my use case. With the changes on the horizon to the editor and to make feature parity more a priority across environments I actually shelled out the full pop for my subscription.

Happy Evernoting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, TheDBar said:

at least for my use case

For my use case, I view Evernote as a digital filing cabinet for my notes/documents.  
It's excellent for storage and organization; syncing to the cloud and my devices. 
The Evernote editor is great for basic notes (but it's not a word processor)

Another important feature is that notes can contain files of any format.  
My notes contain images, pdfs, spreadsheets, word processing documents, ....
The potential is unlimited

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

For my use case, I view Evernote as a digital filing cabinet for my notes/documents.  
It's excellent for storage and organization; syncing to the cloud and my devices. 
The Evernote editor is great for basic notes (but it's not a word processor)

Another important feature is that notes can contain files of any format.  
My notes contain images, pdfs, spreadsheets, word processing documents, ....
The potential is unlimited

Exactly. It's the one app where it can do everything I need...and more. When I try the others they have some cool features and do some things maybe even a little better, but there always comes a point where I hit a road block and say "ugh, Evernote does this, I need to go back".

• Like 1