Webclipper and Safari 13 ?

Go to solution Solved by DTLow,

I think this is effecting me. I just went to clip something and it had disappeared. Completely vanished. I am only running Mojave 10.14.6 and safari 12.1.2. When I click on "get web clipper" from the evernote preferences it directs me to the mac app store - first the evernote client and then a long list of safari extensions (and its not there). I have never bothered to switch to the MAS version of evernote as I felt the direct versions came quicker.

Can I take the above to mean I have to live without the web clipper in Safari until evernote release a new version?

Evernote Web Clipper for Safari is temporarily unavailable for download. Our engineering team is updating it to be compatible with the upcoming release of macOS Catalina and the newest version of Safari, which will be available in the Mac App Store within the next few weeks.

In the meantime, I’d like to offer some alternate ways to save web content to your Evernote account:

* Use Evernote Web Clipper in another supported web browser, such as Chrome, Firefox, or Microsoft Edge.
* Use the "Share" function in your browser to email web pages directly to Evernote using your [Evernote incoming email address](https://help.evernote.com/hc/articles/209005347).
* Use your Mac or Windows companion app called [Evernote Helper](https://help.evernote.com/hc/articles/209005067). Evernote Helper lets you easily save quick text notes and screenshots to your account.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Level 5

Thanks to clarify this.

Quite unsatisfactory, however. I hope anybody is aware that WebClipper is one of the key features of EN that sets it apart from other tools. Please get this fixed soon !

Some days ago, my WebClipper seemed to have stopped to work (Mojave, Safari, latest official release, no betas). Fortunately it came back a few days later, up to my knowledge without changing anything. So it still works as installed into my Safari.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 9/13/2019 at 3:00 PM, Nick L. said:

Evernote Web Clipper for Safari is temporarily unavailable for download

Thanks for this info, Nick.

https://evernote.com/features/webclipper

Why would you leave this link active, or not make it open a notification for Safari users instead of keeping it active, and create the incredible frustration of something super basic simply not working - the link takes safari users to a page of Safari extensions with no WebClipper.   

The extension being down is no big deal, I use the share button, to which I've added Evernote as a destination.  Clicking it when WebClipper isn't installed creates a pop up with the option to save the page to evernote right below a big ol' link to the WebClipper page. So instead of clicking save and moving on, I clicked to get WebClipper going again "real quick". Getting my data is the thing though, so if adding details later by sharing directly to the app or jumping over to Chrome is necessary that's doable and understandable. Not doing every possible thing you can to keep the user experience groovy is a troubling sign, more so if it was not an oversight but an attempt to be discreet. 

When I opened this page there was an information banner that you can X out to close once you've read it. It did not tell me why I couldn't download WebClipper. I had to find out in the reply to a post from someone else who was forced to wonder WTF was going on with their computer, the Apple store, or if Evernote was simply incapable of correctly keeping their extension downloadable. 

I don't think I'm alone in hoping that Evernote has the grit to be a lifelong partner in data collection. We've been hurt before by data collection applications that start good then fall apart and we're very sensitive. It might not seem like a big deal but we're not just talking about time wasted dicking around in the app store then having to hunt down the reason why basic stuff isn't working, this is about trust, it's about putting the user experience first every.single.time.

I'd suggest a policy that includes a press release, notifications across the spectrum of where you might catch a user eyeballs, and for the love of pete - stay aware of where your app is promoting add-on features and do us at least the basic kindness of a note on the landing page so we don't waste our time. That's not the McMillan way, son. 

Thanks again for posting this!

Jeff 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Two days ago my EN Web Clipper stopped working so I deleted it planning to reinstall.  But I cannot find the EN web clipper to reinstall either on the EN website or offered as a Safari Extension.  Could someone provide a link to the clipper?  Am running Mojave 10.14.6 and Safari 12.1.2.  Date is 9/18/19.  

5 hours ago, trottsie said:

Two days ago my EN Web Clipper stopped working so I deleted it planning to reinstall.  But I cannot find the EN web clipper to reinstall either on the EN website or offered as a Safari Extension.  Could someone provide a link to the clipper?  Am running Mojave 10.14.6 and Safari 12.1.2.  Date is 9/18/19.  

Same here, not in the Safari extensions section on the App Store where the link here takes you.

You don't have to wait for Catalina (or install the beta) for the web clipper to be taken away from you. Today all my macOS running 10.14 (Mojave) auto-installed Safari 13.

So currently Evernote has no web clipper for any up-to-date macOS machine.

I'd say, please put a rush on getting the extension out to your loyal users, dear Evernote!

• Like 1
On 9/14/2019 at 12:00 AM, Nick L. said:

Evernote Web Clipper for Safari is temporarily unavailable for download. Our engineering team is updating it to be compatible with the upcoming release of macOS Catalina and the newest version of Safari, which will be available in the Mac App Store within the next few weeks.

In the meantime, I’d like to offer some alternate ways to save web content to your Evernote account:

* Use Evernote Web Clipper in another supported web browser, such as Chrome, Firefox, or Microsoft Edge.
* Use the "Share" function in your browser to email web pages directly to Evernote using your [Evernote incoming email address](https://help.evernote.com/hc/articles/209005347).
* Use your Mac or Windows companion app called [Evernote Helper](https://help.evernote.com/hc/articles/209005067). Evernote Helper lets you easily save quick text notes and screenshots to your account.

Actually, Safari 13 is available today (not within the next few weeks, as Nick said). This means that even a perfectly working Web Clipper will be removed from any up-to-date macOS machine, no questions asked.

Rather than waiting for all the unhappy users to complain, please put a high priority tag on the new Evernote Web Clipper.

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just for future improvements...

I am disappointed that Evernote did not issue an announcement that the web clipper would not be available on Safari 13 to its user base that it has info on to suggest we consider between upgrading and losing clipper or postponing and keeping clipper.

You can see how much we depend on this and to have it lost without warning is sad.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I was just affected by this. The Mac (Mojave) showed a notification alerting Safari 13 was available for installation, which I promptly accepted. When it relaunched, I was informed the Webclipper was disabled automatically, for which I thought it was just a matter of installing an updated version. To my surprise, there's no Webclipper for download anymore.

While I agree that the notification probably could have gone out earlier from Evernote, Apple did announced that with these updates stuff may break. I may be an outlier when it comes to reading release notes for someone who is not a developer, but the fault of this isn't all on Evernote. It's up to us as well to know what we are installing and any ramifications of that install. 

EN isn't the only one with no clipper at the moment for Safari. ON hasn't updated theirs as of yet and Notion doesn't even have one for Safari.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

but the fault of this isn't all on Evernote

I'm less concerned with who's at fault, than confirmation it's ok to update Safari and the OS

So far I'm holding off on updating until I see that confirmation

>>it was a surprise to them it was released today. Wasn’t supposed to be until October. 

Same here.  The previous "beta" designation was a red flag to the risks

33 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm less concerned with who's at fault, than confirmation it's ok to update Safari and the OS

So far I'm holding off on updating until I see that confirmation

Totally get that. I checked with some people and it was a surprise to them it was released today. Wasn’t supposed to be until October. 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

The issue is with all 32bit-extensions for Safari. I thought this would happen with the Catalina OS release probably in October (date up to my knowledge is not yet fixed). But obviously they released Safari 13 together with the iOS update happening now.

Good to know to avoid installing Safari 13 on the Mac at the moment.

• Like 1

Same just occurred to me as well, Safari / Evernote Webclipper vanished. (OS Mojave 10.14.6 / Safari 13.0)

Same as MS OneNotes as well - so it will be interesting, if the FREE Version vs the paid App (here Evernote), who will make the effort to have the Safari Extension fully up and supported. 

Hope there will be a solution, as I was just considering switching back and keep paying, a s MS OneNote is such a huge Ram eater. 

14 hours ago, Shane D. said:

@trottsie @ldenning I've merged your thread into this one.

Please see the announcement post referred to by @DTLow

Shane, wrote through PM as well. Frankly, this announcement, to the paying community to your employer, is insufficient. There had been beta etc. just dropping, not even preparing your content and still referring to the Apple pages for download, is extremely poorly handled. 

Kindly provide a timeline with a fix on this! 

Thx

• Thanks 1

Hmm, being PREMIUM member without a PREMIUM service is not nice.😡

Evernote, please put your act together and join the beta program at apple. And be ready before release. 

Check: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/safari_release_notes/safari_13_release_notes

• Thanks 1

Before "shaping the future", how about addressing issues that Evernote paid clients already have, like the Web Clip in Safari. If you pay for a service not provided, are we going to be reimbursed? There were no alerts from Evernote Mac users about this coming. We were taken by surprise but I doubt Apple took you guys by surprise, if so you really have a bad relation or "incompetence" may be the subject. Sorry to share this Web Clip comment for Mac Safari to land here but ShaneD left no room for comments or shares in an absolutist way of communication. Thank you for your time.

Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 12.44.35 PM.png

• Like 5
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, rubendny said:

how about addressing issues that Evernote paid clients already have, like the Web Clip in Safari.

Is this related to the above beta project?  Web clipper is working for me

• Level 5

In the very moment you install Safari 13, Webclipper is gone. This has nothing to do with any beta, but with the fact, that Apple does not support "Legacy Extensions" (= 32bit- browser extensions) any longer. Safari 13 is free of 32bit-code and does not support it.

This move was announced quite a while ago. Thus it is hard to understand why EN does not have a 64bit-version of the WebClipper ready for download.

IMHO it would be better to have ANY new web clipper available (even one with a reduced set of functions, that could be improved later) than NONE, which is the current situation. Not having a clipper is taking an important piece of the EN ecosystem away from many workflows.

Instead EN support tells you to install another browser. Very weak argument ...

Fortunately the "Share" functions still work on iOS.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Hi All,

Thank you for reaching out, and for your feedback.

To be transparent, this release surprised us as much as it surprised you.

We were prepared to have Web Clipper for Safari 13 ready for the release at a different disclosed date. Our team is working diligently to have our updates complete ASAP, and l'll follow-up here with an update as soon as it's available.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
36 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

In the very moment you install Safari 13, Webclipper is gone. This has nothing to do with any beta, but with the fact, that Apple does not support "Legacy Extensions" (= 32bit- browser extensions) any longer. Safari 13 is free of 32bit-code and does not support it.

This move was announced quite a while ago. Thus it is hard to understand why EN does not have a 64bit-version of the WebClipper ready for download.

IMHO it would be better to have ANY new web clipper available (even one with a reduced set of functions, that could be improved later) than NONE, which is the current situation. Not having a clipper is taking an important piece of the EN ecosystem away from many workflows.

Instead EN support tells you to install another browser. Very weak argument ...

Fortunately the "Share" functions still work on iOS.

Do you know if EN is working with IOS 13 on the iPhone. 

• Level 5

Have not tried, waiting for iOS 13.1. Release was set earlier than expected to Sept 24th.

Currently I have a stable 12.4.1 running on all devices. I think I will wait a bit with installing until the noise from the web gives a better picture. Since a bunch of announced functions were withdrawn from both 13 and 13.1. by Apple on very short notice, I assume there will be developers thrown off balance with their new apps.

Usually I upgrade fast - but maybe this time "late follower" is the better strategy.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

@PinkElephant and @rubendny, I have to agree that Evernote really dropped the ball on this one.

@Ian Small, I expected much more of you.  How did you allow this to happen on your watch?

IAC, guys, you might use this opportunity to consider another Browser:  Brave Browser

• First, BB uses the Chrome Evernote Web Clipper, which works great!
  • BB has all the benefits of a Chrome-based browser, but without the privacy and other issues that Google brings with it.
  • BB can use all of the extensions in the Google Chrome store, which gives you access to many, many more extensions and features that Safari ever provided.
  • BB is very scriptable, so there is much you can automate with it using AppleScript, JavaScript for Automation (JXA), and Keyboard Maestro.

While you wait for Evernote to come out with a fix for the Safari Clipper, you might give BB a try.

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Have not tried, waiting for iOS 13.1. Release was set earlier than expected to Sept 24th.

Currently I have a stable 12.4.1 running on all devices. I think I will wait a bit with installing until the noise from the web gives a better picture. Since a bunch of announced functions were withdrawn from both 13 and 13.1. by Apple on very short notice, I assume there will be developers thrown off balance with their new apps.

Usually I upgrade fast - but maybe this time "late follower" is the better strategy.

Thanks.  I tried EN with one of the early 13 betas and it was a dumpster fire.  Went back as fast as I could to 12 whatever. Don’t want to be the pioneer on this one. 

Thanks @Shane D. for clarifying and merging the parallel threads. This makes sense now. In the meantime I will just bump the site to Chrome if I need to clip. I think we can all agree that we want a highly reliable (and fast) web clipper, not one that was rushed out just because Apple changed their policy a little earlier than expected. 

Seems we will need to move to Mac App Store versions of Evernote if we want to use Safari Web Clipper in future, am I right? This is a change for me but I can't think of any problems, other than we may have to wait a day or so longer for new releases to be available?

On 9/20/2019 at 12:33 AM, PinkElephant said:

The issue is with all 32bit-extensions for Safari. I thought this would happen with the Catalina OS release probably in October (date up to my knowledge is not yet fixed). But obviously they released Safari 13 together with the iOS update happening now.

Good to know to avoid installing Safari 13 on the Mac at the moment.

I don't know if there is any correlation between the new reminders/notes app and why they released Safari early, but I do know that in order to use my reminders on my older iMac that I can't upgrade I had to use the beta website for iCloud. Yesterday/day before I'm not sure, I logged in to the normal iCloud site and the reminders functionality was there. 

On 9/19/2019 at 8:20 PM, Stefan Timm said:

You don't have to wait for Catalina (or install the beta) for the web clipper to be taken away from you. Today all my macOS running 10.14 (Mojave) auto-installed Safari 13.

So currently Evernote has no web clipper for any up-to-date macOS machine.

I'd say, please put a rush on getting the extension out to your loyal users, dear Evernote!

Mine updated to the same. Your right. Not working!  Evernote not on the ball it seems!  ☹️

Apple released Safari 13 early, and there should have been a popup confirmation box that said "warning, your old extensions will stop working, make certain there a version of the extensions you use in the app store before upgrading to Safari 13. Press ok to continue, cancel to cancel the upgrade."

Just wanted to express my disappointment that Evernote wasn’t prepared for this Extension change in Safari 13, it’s been evident in Safari Technology Preview for a few months now. Thinking probably back to at least July 2019 or the first betas of macOS 10.15.

Really amazes how Evernote drops the ball on these well documented changes.

Also, kind of pissed that Evernote didn’t bother to alert me of my renewal on September 11th, most companies send out an email alert maybe a month prior to the renewal occurring.

Seems kind of shady by Evernote…and it may well be my last year with you, just a bloated slow app now. Looking at Keep It, Joplin, or maybe something like Bear since Evernote seems mired in a slow update/improvement cycle on macOS.

Why are comments closed or not available on the Community Announcement about Safari 13 and the Web Clipper issue post by Shane D? Seems shady too.

Been with Evernote since the beginning, but seeing fewer and fewer reasons to stay,

• Level 5

@JMichaelTX Just got my new iPhone 11 Pro Max up and running. All apps on actual, iOS still 13.0.

Entered EN - well, tried to. On the account page, no virtual keyboard. OK, copied it from my PW manager.

Then on 2FA still no keyboard. So I copied the code into the field.

EN (8.24) open - but still no keyboard. Tried a new note: All functions like camera or audio were there and worked, but again no keyboard.

This is close to useless, I thought.

So I closed and reopened the app: Now the keyboard appears ! Works with full 13 functionality, like swoooshing a word instead of typing.

Seems to need to be convinced ... so give it a second try !

Next step: Load 13.1 when available, retry. Will keep my other stuff on 12.4.1 for some days to see how things are going.

Stay tuned - more on this channel soon ....

• Level 5

@taden As I read it, EN got caught with their pants down when Apple released Safari 13 FOR THE MAC right when iOS 13 got released.

Probably the timing at the dev team was set to have it ready on release of Catalina later in the year.

I agree that this is a double disappointment: First dropping the ball like this, second to be surprised and not sending out a warning to the users. Since my Mac is set to automatic updates, I had Safari 13 on my MacBook Pro before I could react to the warning.

So it will go without web clipper for a while, and with another browser (FF in my case) when I urgently need to clip something. At the moment the better workaround is to set the page to reader mode, then use „print“ and then „share pdf to EN“, because I can continue in Safari this way.

• Level 5

@taden Thank you for reaching out!

I'm sorry to hear about your experience thus far, and will certainly relay your feedback to our teams.

As for this comment:

Why are comments closed or not available on the Community Announcement about Safari 13 and the Web Clipper issue post by Shane D? Seems shady too.

We close replies on community announcements as they are meant to be informative, and not a location for ongoing discussion.

In the past, when we've allowed commentary on announcements the conversations tend to get off topic quickly, and make it more difficult for users to easily find the information they're looking for.

However, you are certainly more than welcome to share your feedback by creating a new thread.

We're trying to centralize user feedback/commentary on this issue here so we can better track it, so I'm going to merge the relevant user commentary into this thread:

I hope this helps to clarify, and feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any other questions!

• Level 5

@JMichaelTX Just loaded iOS 13.1 to my iPhone 11.

Went smooth, no problem. EN opened fine, first impression is everything is working as it should. 

Although I have to get used to the new phone and interface, until now I like what I see.

P.S. Got myself a watch as well. I think I will use the EN app there a lot: Very simple, just speak, have it converted into written text and grab the moment with a minimum of overhead. The note is synced in a blink  to the iPhone (have no SIM in the watch at the moment) and from there to the server and all other devices. Very sleek !

Next step: Upgrading my iPad to iPadOS.

Just wanted to thank PinkElephant and Shane for their responses, just hoping that the update to the Web Clipper will be arriving soon.

And thanks Shane for the clarification about the community announcements, I haven't used the forums in a while. And the update about the merge you did. Appreciate it. 

PinkElephant thanks for the tip about saving a PDF, currently I've been using Pocket to save from Safari more to weed out the content going into Evernote. But luckily I'd haven't done the Safari 13 update on my Mini, just on my MBP.

• Like 1
On 9/22/2019 at 10:50 PM, TheGooch said:

Apple released Safari 13 early, and there should have been a popup confirmation box that said "warning, your old extensions will stop working, make certain there a version of the extensions you use in the app store before upgrading to Safari 13. Press ok to continue, cancel to cancel the upgrade."

Apple has been popping up a dialog box saying almost exactly that every time you launched a 32-bit app, including Safari extensions, for a year now. I've seen a warning about my 32-bit extensions multiple times in the last year. This is not news. I just got bit because I didn't realize that Safari 13 was the cut-off—I thought I was fine until Catalina (and am planning on holding off on installing Catalina until I'd created a virtual machine for my old software, for exactly that reason). 

Similarly, Evernote has known for at least a year that macOS 10.15 would break 32-bit software, and there have been hints that this was coming for more like 3 years. Since 64-bit Evernote would've worked just fine any time in the last decade, there's really no excuse to be waiting until the last possible week to release an updated extension. They could've made this switch 6 months ago and been just fine now. 

One question I still have: will I need to switch over to the Mac App Store version of desktop Evernote in order to get the new Safari web clipper? Or will the version we download from the web still work (once it's updated)?

And in terms of feedback: add me to the list of people for whom the web clipper is the #1 reason I use Evernote, and the excellent functionality of that web clipper is why I'm using Evernote rather than a competitor. If that goes away, or works less well, I may switch software. 

I actually got the email warning/announcement from Evernote and so I tried disabling auto-updates on my Mac (running Mojave). This evening, it auto-installed Safari 13 without giving me any warning/prompt/chance to stop it.

So much for following Evernote's advice to delay the Safari update until the updated Web Clipper became available...looks like Apple decided we lowly users weren't to be given the option to make that choice.

• Level 5

From what I learned the forced upgrade of Safari was due to security issues. It seems Apple did not allow for a disabled mode on this. I got caught as well by having my Safari go to 13 without any interaction. 

@woodelph I would try to get the direct install if this chance exists. Apps from the Macs AppStore are executed in a sandboxed mode, even when they are identical to the app downloaded directly. I have solved some issues with the EN app by uninstalling the AppStore download and get the very same fresh from the EN website. How the situation is with extensions we will have to see. 

But at the moment we first need something to download at all ...

Just wanted to add that I'm a direct download user of Evernote and hope that the Web Clipper is made available as a direct download (thanks for bringing this point up woodelph) without the need of changing to the Mac App Store version of Evernote...it could be just a standalone extension on the App Store which would be fine, just don't want to change the version of Evernote I use, reflecting the points made by PinkElephant.

Many apps seems to have Safari 13 compatible versions of their extensions already available, including Bear (solely an App Store app though) so not everyone was caught off guard by Safari 13 dropping. 

And Penultimate not being ready for iPadOS shows further issues with the product development cycle at Evernote. 

Thanks to Ian for finally coming out to let us know what is holding Evernote back from restoring this critical functionality. 

However now Gmail Evernote Clipper in Safari has stopped working... "Content not available".

I feel that for full restitution, Evernote should give those of us with a Plus subscription (paying customers) the ability to email content to Evernote.   @Ian Small

I was aware, thanks to your announcement via email, that Evernote Clipper wouldn't work in Safari 13.  So, when my old Macbook Pro running 10.13.6 told me there were updates, I looked and saw there was a Safari 13 update and a Security Update.  Well, I knew I didn't want Safari 13, so instead of hitting the "Update All" button, I just hit the Update button for the Security Update.  Guess what!  I got Safari 13 anyway!  Thanks, Apple.

But seriously, Evernote: my 1Password extension works just fine in Safari 13.  You really got caught napping on this one.

• Like 1

While I appreciate you taking ownership over the issues we are facing, but let's be honest here.  Apple did not release the new version overnight.  The beta has been available to developers  (even public beta) since early July.  I have many other extensions that have been updated by the developers during last 3 months that work fine under Safari 13.  If you want us to subscribe to the premium version each year, please make sure we don't experience something like this in the future.  Thanks.

• Like 1

I would normally not be too bothered with this if not because the Safari Evernote clipper is much better than its Chome brother.  I often take pages I'd like to capture from a Chrome Tab and to a Safari one for the clipping process. The font/font sizes seem to get messed up on the Chrome EN clipper. I will try to avoid updating Safari until this is fixed. But I would like to know when the Chrome one will come up to par.  I would also like to see some better user customizations to the clipper. Why do I get dupe images, the word "photo", can't get a assembled graphic as it is shown etc... 

On 9/14/2019 at 12:00 AM, Nick L. said:

This is just disappointing. You just left us behind. While many of the competition have posted their extensions to the new Safari extension gallery, you did not. I won't mention that you are continuously updating the Chrome extension while not doing the same for Safari, it was OK for me as long as I have what I need from it. But now you want me to wait for weeks to have it work on new updated macOS/Safari. My work requires me to upgrade to macOS Catalina. So you want me now to use another browser that does not respect my privacy, and of which I do not have any bookmarks or history that make Web browsing more quick and effective.

Evernote has been very lazy recently to care for its customers, despite we pay much more than the competition requires. If Evernote still have some unique features that let us stick to it, the competition will catch up very soon. And you have to know that I consider very strongly to move from Evernote before my next renewal dues.

• Like 2

WebClipper on Mac OS 10.14.6 plus FireFox

While Safari is not working with EN clipper I go to FireFox (69.0.1) and it works just like it did in Safari. So, until the Safari match up happens I will use Firefox to manage clipping web content.

Just a thought to keep going.

Of course I can switch to another Browser. I can also switch to another OS or another Note-Taking App (I could license a whole Office Suite including a solid Note-Taking App for the Evernote Premium Subscription price), but I like my setup and I have it for a reason. I saw other Safari Add-ons like Ad-Blockers switch to the App Store and new APIs almost a year ago, maybe Safari 13 with the deprecated Extension Gallery came in a few weeks early, but not as a surprise at all.

Now let's see whether Evernote can deliver a fully-fledged new Clipper by the time Catalina with Safari 13 had originally been expected. Although the announcement is rather vague (I understand that if the preparation incl. features like simplified article clipping with text highlighting is not at least in advanced beta status already), it should take weeks, not months.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, DB_Germany said:

Now let's see whether Evernote can deliver a fully-fledged new Clipper by the time Catalina with Safari 13 had originally been expected.

Safari 13 has already arrived in updates for Mojave. I can't accept that the only reason not to update to it is that they are behind in their support.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Mostafa Al Belliehy said:

Safari 13 has already arrived in updates for Mojave. I can't accept that the only reason not to update to it is that they are behind in their support.

Updating is completely your choice.  Be aware the new version will disable older extensions.

I chose to upgrade

Chicken Little was wrong

Stating that this is due to Apple and the removal of 32bit applications and extensions is not a valid answer. Apple announced and warned consumers almost a year ago that this would be coming in the new updates. I would assume if a basic Apple owner knew this, developers such as Evernote with approved extensions, were told as well back then and had plenty of time to work on an update of their own. Instead users are told don't update your native software, use another browser (even if that isn't functional for your work or other devices) and just hope the Evernote developers fix the issue. As of now I am paying Evernote to be a Premium user and have resorted to saving links on my OS notepad. This has become a repeating problem with Evernote, more and more bugs (and even requests) that when reported go ignored and unaddressed. 

• Like 2

This situation is totally unacceptable.  It certainly makes me worry about the viability of Evernote.  If they don't care enough to recompile their code given more than a year advance notice, they either don't care about the Mac customer base or have no programming staff.  Having the users find out by suddenly finding their Clipper no longer works is not acceptable.  Moving to another browser and abandoning my bookmark collection is not acceptable.  As a Mac programmer I know that, if the code was properly written, the upgrade likely entails little more than a recompile.

I've been paying for Evernote for almost 20 years now.  I/we deserve better.  If you are planning to end Mac support or go out of business altogether, please have the decency to give your loyal users enough advance warning to transfer to another platform. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If my assumption is correct that the internal timeline was set to match the release of Catalina, and if the team is on time, it should release any time soon.

Please note that we have an assumption here, plus 2 times the word "if". Anyhow I have trust in the EN team, and think we will be back in business soon, clipping away like crazy all we have missed. ✂️✂️🔪✂️😆

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, jjunimd@gmail.com said:

This situation is totally unacceptable.  It certainly makes me worry about the viability of Evernote.  If they don't care enough to recompile their code given more than a year advance notice, they either don't care about the Mac customer base or have no programming staff.  Having the users find out by suddenly finding their Clipper no longer works is not acceptable.  Moving to another browser and abandoning my bookmark collection is not acceptable.  As a Mac programmer I know that, if the code was properly written, the upgrade likely entails little more than a recompile.

I've been paying for Evernote for almost 20 years now.  I/we deserve better.  If you are planning to end Mac support or go out of business altogether, please have the decency to give your loyal users enough advance warning to transfer to another platform. 

Evernote has been on my radar since 2008 when the open beta/public beta launched. Over the last decade (11 years) they have had their ups and downs, I'll give you that. However, in my opinion Evernote isn't going anywhere. The last thing I see them doing is dropping support for the Mac. With that said, if you are worried about them disappearing, it is a good idea to have a recent backup of your data. That is good practice no matter what you use. Now, I'm not a programmer so I can't comment on how easy it would be to update the clipper. Maybe I'm just less stressed about it because I have the ability to use a different browser (even though I can't stand Chrome). 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Maybe it is like with the year-2000-crisis: The problem was not to program new Software that would use a 4-digit code for the year.

The problem was to find the guys who had coded the original software way back, and understand what the damn programs were doing they had written.

WebClipper is 32bit, but still a very fine piece of software that is able to make a decent copy even of the newest and weirdest web-code envisioned by mankind. I hope the new clipper will be released soon, and I hope it will be a working piece of software tested and released only when ready.

• Ex Employees

Hi Everyone -

I’m following up on my post from ten days ago.  In that post, I had indicated that we were trying to get an initial, reduced-functionality release of a Safari 13-compatible Web Clipper into your hands this week, but that there was still significant work remaining.

Today is Friday of that week, and clearly we have not met our goal.  We have a working build, but it is not yet release-quality. We are continuing to work on bugs, on stability and on CPU utilization issues in order to converge on something releasable.  We will be working through the weekend.

I’m sorry that it is taking this long.  As explained in my original post, it is not as simple as recompiling, and we are encountering more challenges than we expected.

We will provide another update next week.

ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
2 hours ago, Ian Small said:

Hi Everyone -

I’m following up on my post from ten days ago.  In that post, I had indicated that we were trying to get an initial, reduced-functionality release of a Safari 13-compatible Web Clipper into your hands this week, but that there was still significant work remaining.

Today is Friday of that week, and clearly we have not met our goal.  We have a working build, but it is not yet release-quality. We are continuing to work on bugs, on stability and on CPU utilization issues in order to converge on something releasable.  We will be working through the weekend.

I’m sorry that it is taking this long.  As explained in my original post, it is not as simple as recompiling, and we are encountering more challenges than we expected.

We will provide another update next week.

ian

Thank you for updating us. Not many CEO’s would do that personally. I for one appreciate it. :)

• Like 3
On 9/20/2019 at 12:01 AM, Sayre Ambrosio said:

Totally get that. I checked with some people and it was a surprise to them it was released today. Wasn’t supposed to be until October. 

The way Apple is pushing the upgrades this year is a major show stopper. Upgrading to iOS 13 upgraded the Reminders app to a new enhanced version. I'm glad they finally upgraded the Reminders app, but since they haven't released Catalina the reminders can no longer be accessed under macOS. Worse, Apple's workaround suggestion to use the Reminders in iCloud is only a partial solution as any reminders entered in iCloud cannot accept a reminder date/time. This must be the worst upgrade cycle in Apple's history... 

On 10/5/2019 at 8:24 AM, philrodo said:

The way Apple is pushing the upgrades this year is a major show stopper. Upgrading to iOS 13 upgraded the Reminders app to a new enhanced version.

Upgrading was completely opt-in and the Reminders app showed a very specific warning about potential compatibility issues with devices not yet upgraded to the new format in iOS 13/macOS 10.15.

Evernote really dropped the ball with this one. It was announced months ago that the old extension system would be dropped with Safari 13/Catalina and I would have expected a compatible version of web clipper alongside the macOS betas instead of rushing now in order to release *something*. Evernote should consider coming clean about their support for non-Chrome desktop browsers (which is pretty much non-existent) instead of keeping up this charade.  

This is a fact. Evernote dropped their support for clipper for Safari a long time ago. I observed the huge difference between it and the Chrome’s one more than a year ago. This is why they suddenly woke up, oops we did not upgrade to the new Safari, oops it’s about to be released. This is a total underestimate to a segment of their customers. 

At least Microsoft is (for now) not faster with a OneNote Clipper update, and Evernote's communication is clearly better. 😉

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/apple-safari-upgraded-too-v13-it-removed-my/3a98cde9-9e4b-4377-8a4d-f229677f10f9

@Ian Small: Appreciating your way of taking ownership and managing expectations, thank you for keeping us updated.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Mostafa Al Belliehy said:

This is a fact. Evernote dropped their support for clipper for Safari a long time ago. I observed the huge difference between it and the Chrome’s one more than a year ago. This is why they suddenly woke up, oops we did not upgrade to the new Safari, oops it’s about to be released. This is a total underestimate to a segment of their customers. 

Evernote knows web clipper's usage numbers and they probably show that most of their users are on Chrome and it's economically sensible to invest mostly into the Chrome extensions as you cover most of your users on all desktop platforms with this one (i.e. Windows, macOS, Linux). I'm just not cool with the apparent dishonesty regarding non-Chrome browsers (which includes Firefox) because it makes the impression that Evernote would like to get some of these subscription money with the least amount of effort (and they didn't even manage that with Safari 13).

13 hours ago, DB_Germany said:

At least Microsoft is (for now) not faster with a OneNote Clipper update, and Evernote's communication is clearly better. 😉

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/apple-safari-upgraded-too-v13-it-removed-my/3a98cde9-9e4b-4377-8a4d-f229677f10f9

Yeah, but Microsoft also doesn't take money from us in order to get the full feature set.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, Mostafa Al Belliehy said:

This is a fact. Evernote dropped their support for clipper for Safari a long time ago.

I"m a Safari user.  
The Evernote Web Clipper isn't critical for my use, but it has been functioning well (prior to Safari 13)

I understand Evernote is planning a version to resolve the Safari 13 issue.  It's currently in pre-release testing

Chicken Little was wrong, the sky is not falling

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, matdom said:

Yeah, but Microsoft also doesn't take money from us in order to get the full feature set.

Evernote Web Clipper is not a paid feature

>>For Evernote I'm paying a yearly subscription so I expect a full feature set, independent wether it's part of the premium package or not (you'd probably not accept a broken note editor either just because it's part of the free version)

I also have a premium subscription https://evernote.com/compare-plans

I like having a full feature set
Fixing broken elements has my vote

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Evernote Web Clipper is not a paid feature

I didn't phrase it clearly then: Microsoft doesn't take money for any of their futures in OneNote, so I'm a little bit more lenient when it comes to delays (although it shouldn't happen either for a company of that size). For Evernote I'm paying a yearly subscription so I expect a full feature set, independent wether it's part of the premium package or not (you'd probably not accept a broken note editor either just because it's part of the free version). Or at least Evernote could be transparent about the level of support they are willing to invest into platforms and browsers so I can make an informed decision wether to spend money for their software or not.

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

I understand Evernote is planning a version to resolve the Safari 13 issue.  It's currently in pre-release testing

The problem is that the change to the extension system was announced months ago. A working replacement shouldn't be in the works at this point but well-tested and released. Unless - as I suspect - Evernote doesn't care about non-Chrome users but tries to extract a few subscriptions out of these users without having to invest too many development resources.

7 hours ago, matdom said:

They do take money and cripple the full feature set for Mac users in general. Take a look at ON FOR Mac and Windows side by side. The Mac version doesn’t have the same features at this time. Many critical ones are missing. 

• Like 1

I have to add to the chorus here that regardless of what communication is happening now this is totally unacceptable.  How long have we known 10.15 was going to break anything 32bit??  Seriously??  And the excuse is Apple released Safari what three weeks ahead of schedule and you guys are still figuring it out today with no hard eta?  Another paying customer here very dissatisfied with how Evernote has completely dropped the ball on this.

2 hours ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

They do take money and cripple the full feature set for Mac users in general.

I can't find any information about subscription pricing for OneNote itself so I'd appreciate any pointers to a pricing page. I'm not denying a feature disparity between Mac and Windows I'm just much more tolerant in case the software is offered for free.

11 minutes ago, matdom said:

I can't find any information about subscription pricing for OneNote itself so I'd appreciate any pointers to a pricing page. I'm not denying a feature disparity between Mac and Windows I'm just much more tolerant in case the software is offered for free.

By "overall" I mean the paid offerings by Microsoft. You are correct in that ON can be used for free. I stopped paying for Office 365 when I realized that they had no immediate intention to bring ALL their apps into feature parity between Windows and Mac. Now, I know that their main goal is to get people to switch or remain on Windows and I totally get that. However, when you are charging the same price for a service for people who use both platforms and then refuse to push out the same things to the Mac platform that's not fair. A big thing with me is the "education" features (but that is a whole different issue I have with how they offer those services to students/teachers).

Relevant to this thread though, if you look at ON on Mac it's missing things like video recording, ability to use save to whatever location you want to, things that to some are small potatoes but for those of us dealing with things that those items would help, it seems like a smack in the face. I would have to go look at my sons computer to see what all the differences are between the two. It's actually the reason why I switched from ON oh so many years ago and came over to Evernote. Yes, I have to have workarounds for some of the features that ON offers, but at least I have a more cohesive experience no matter what platform I am on (I'm not referring to mobile apps here since that's different in my mind).

I hope that makes sense. As someone with ASD who is raising someone with ASD, it irks me when companies tout that they do one thing and they don't deliver it on all available platforms.

Maybe that's why I'm okay waiting for the clipper and using Chrome while I wait (even though I don't like Chrome). I personally have never run into issues with the previous versions of the Safari clipper. The only thing I ever noticed that was different was in regard to my business account. Chrome clipper can see the Spaces and clip to them while the Safari one (in the past) could not.

Was disappointed that the "basic" Safari 13 clipper wasn't able to be released last week, but at least I've spent some time navigating the web without it to know that I'll be leaving Evernote behind probably when my subscription comes due next fall (already set a reminder to cancel since Evernote didn't notify me that my renewal was approaching this year and billed without a confirmation email like in the past).

64 bit has been on the landscape for probably 10 years plus now, and the prevailing thought was that Catalina might be released around the time of iOS 13 at the end of September. That Evernote was woefully ill prepared for the launch of Safari 13 due to security enhancements I guess, says a lot about the state of Evernote support on the Mac.

Been using Evernote since the beginning on the Mac, and things seem to be getting worse lately. Mac app seems slow, bloated and crufty since the focus on Evernote for Biz. Not really sure what the focus of Evernote is now, since I'm not sure that the Biz direction worked out.

Speaking of feature parity between Win/Mac, why hasn't Evernote brought a direct plug-in to the Apple Mail app? Outlook on Windows (I think web Gmail has this too) has had it for years now. A third party, Mailbutler was able to do this brilliantly, but with Catalina and Mail 13, the plug-in has been disabled and probably isn't actively being supported by Mailbutler since it is no longer part of their subscription model. They did have the kindness to make the Mail plug-in available for free for Mac Mail users...always wanted Evernote to offer a Mail plug-in, but wasn't necessary with Mailbutler doing so.

Thought maybe Evernote could buy the plug-in tech from Mailbutler, since the emailing forwarding to Evernote has always seemed crappy and lazy to me.

Think I'll be looking at Joplin app (https://joplinapp.org) to preserve my Evernote data going forward.

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, taden said:

Speaking of feature parity between Win/Mac, why hasn't Evernote brought a direct plug-in to the Apple Mail app?

For Mac Apple Mail > Evernote, I use Applescript1535423798_ScreenShot2019-10-08at12_43_43.png.2c06f0a7dfde6719ca0fe42e1f097252.png

1816578411_ScreenShot2019-10-08at12_49_30.png.e09a98f7aa52fa48061014b9acd7a43d.png

• Like 1
  • Ex Employees

Hi Everyone -

I’m following up on my post from Friday.

A few hours ago, we submitted an initial, reduced-functionality release of our Safari 13-compatible Web Clipper into Apple’s review process.  As some of you may know, the review process for App Store submissions can be a bit of a black box, both in terms of how long it takes and whether a submission will get through successfully.  However, given how long it’s taken to get to this point, I thought it was appropriate to let you know that we are making concrete progress towards having an initial Safari 13-compatible release of our Web Clipper in your hands.

As I have said previously, this first release will have reduced functionality.  In particular, while most of the Clipper’s core functionality is included in this release (e.g. all clipping formats, screenshot and annotate capabilities, support for notebook selection, tagging and remarks, as well as PDF clipping), there are a number of features that have not made it into this build.  Any one of these may be core to your particular workflow, and may result in this initial, reduced-functionality release not living up to your expectations.

To that end, we have not stopped working.  Our intent is to fast-follow this initial release with subsequent releases that fill in the gaps and fix any bugs we discover until we once again have a full implementation of the Web Clipper in Safari.

We will, of course, post again once this first version of the Safari 13-compatible Web Clipper is available in the App Store, including a complete list of the features in (and not yet in) this release.  And we will follow up with additional posts as we proceed forward into the subsequent releases.

ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I downgraded my Mac's Safari back to 12( full system reset ) so that I could install Evernote Webclipper for Safari 12  , but I don't have a backup copy of the installer . I can't find out on the evernote site, either. 

Does anyone know of a legitimate site that has it? 

Just wanted to update that I received a response from Mailbutler, they will be updating their macOS Mail Evernote Exporter for Catalina probably by next week.

Thanks for the update Ian.

• Ex Employees

Hi Everyone -

Following up on on my post from Tuesday...

As you may have guessed by now, our first submission to the App Store was bounced back to us by Apple, as they identified a number of (non-bug) issues they wanted us to fix before they would approve it.  We have fixed those issues, and have submitted an updated build for their review as of a few hours ago.  This set of posts from me has been pretty extreme in terms of transparency with where we are in the process, but I think in the circumstances this is the right way for us to communicate with you.  As before, I have to point out that the review process for App Store submissions is a bit of a black box, both in terms of how long it takes and whether a submission will get through successfully, but we are hopeful that this build will meet with Apple's approval.

Finally, we will post again once this first version of the Safari 13-compatible Web Clipper is available in the App Store, including a complete list of the features in (and not yet in) this release.  And we will follow up with additional posts as we proceed forward into the subsequent releases that fill in the gaps and fix any bugs we discover until we once again have a full implementation of the Web Clipper in Safari.

ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5

Thanks for the update.

Currently I have the brakes applied to my Catalina update, because there are several companies that still have not updated their 32bit-software. I have contacted them via support pages, or other means if I could find any. Some have not reacted, others have developed nothing, in one case I got a link to a not-official-pre-release (which I appreciate as a positive exception). With Web Clipper & Safari 13 we should not forget that we have a work around in place, and a continuous information about the main solution.

None of the other companies I have an interest in updating is informing actively about progress, and take their customers serious. From my experience EN really stands out for doing this.

@Ian SmallThanks for keeping us in the loop !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1