Convert “tags” to hashtags (bulk editing)?

Hello,

I’ve searched to try to find an answer but I couldn’t seem to find what I was looking for.

My understanding is that one can, in addition or alternatively to the standard EN tags, also use hashtags in one’s note body or even titles. Is this correct? I like to use multiple tags for my notes with at least the basics of what I’d search for. However, I feel like my tags are getting a little unwieldy and I’m considering switching many of them to the #hashtag type tags as my notes have grown. However, I have quite a few notes now and I’m wondering if it’s possible to bulk edit/add these #hashtags to many notes at once (for instance search/bring up all notes that have the regular tag “receipt” then add the hashtag #receipts to all of them (whether in the body or in the title - I’d rather it be in the body, I think, (preferably at the top of the notes?). Regardless of those specifics, is it possible do this somehow? With over 7k notes (soon to be many more once I finish the import process), I can’t possibly edit them one-by-one. 

If this isn’t possible somehow the way that I’m hoping, how might I go about doing this?

FWIW, I typically do everything on my iPad Pro but I’m extremely certain that this functionality (if it does exist) won’t be available on iOS. Could you please let me know if it is possible on Windows, Mac, Web, or ???

Thanks so much in advance! Looking forward to learning from you all!

• Level 5*

No easy way to add the same text to a bunch of notes at the same time as best i know.  IAC I would recommend using the underscore as opposed to the hash tag since the underscore is searchable the hashtag is not.

Out of interest, why is searching for #receipt better than searching for tag:receipt for you or is it more adding the tags on an IOS device?  Just wondering.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
13 hours ago, Raeve said:

I’m wondering if it’s possible to bulk edit/add these #hashtags to many notes at once (for instance search/bring up all notes that have the regular tag “receipt” then add the hashtag #receipts to all of them (whether in the body or in the title - I’d rather it be in the body...
Could you please let me know if it is possible on Windows, Mac, Web, or ???

It's do-able on a Mac, using Applescript
In fact, I use a script to add tagnames to titles and append the metadata set to notes1995357003_ScreenShot2019-09-09at20_47_05.png.0eda6c20b2d363faa876030bd5443106.png

The screenshot shows one of my receipt notes

As per @CalS #Hashtags are a bad choice.  Special characters are dropped in the search index (except for _)

I use tag_tagname

>>I feel like my tags are getting a little unwieldy

I don't know what this means, and how you'll prevent the hashtags from also getting "unwieldy" 

I actually use the tag tables to select my hashtags via a script

1 hour ago, CalS said:

No easy way to add the same text to a bunch of notes at the same time as best i know.  IAC I would recommend using the underscore as opposed to the hash tag since the underscore is searchable the hashtag is not.

Out of interest, why is searching for #receipt better than searching for tag:receipt for you or is it more adding the tags on an IOS device?  Just wondering.

Oh wow. I misunderstood this. I thought that the hashtags were, in fact, searchable. I thought that was the whole point of those in Evernote. I guess I misread that in other posts? I’m not sure. I thought if you used, say #receipts you could search for that or many #tags at once and save those searches, too. You may have saved me a ton of work that wouldn’t in fact, actually work. I’m so happy to know that the underscore is searchable.

Yes, it’s the fact that I now have so many tags that adding them on iOS is downright painful. I’m usually adding an average of 5 per note, give or take. It’s bad enough when you can search and select (still takes forever) but when you can’t do that and have to scroll down, it’s miserable. Plus, I was under the impression that there was a 250 tag limit and I don’t want to bump up against it.

My goal is to be able to search for _Amazon _receipt _2018 hairdryer and have it bring the receipt right up, if that makes any sense. And, just to be able to type at the top _Amazon _Receipts _2019 etc seems like it might even be faster. I could also copy/paste if I were doing several similar notes at once, which often happens rather than selecting each tag one by one per note. I can’t even tag in bulk in iOS - at least that’s my understanding. At least then, I could add several notes then just select them all add the tags at once. 

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Raeve said:

My goal is to be able to search for _Amazon _receipt _2018 hairdryer

Different view, I do the same with tags, actually tag:amazon tag:receipt whatever.  Best advice I could give is use underscore or prune your tags.  FWIW.