How do I get rid of the extra space between lines within the note itself?

armonica

Idea

If I paste text from microsoft word or elsewhere the note will add spaces between the lines. I'm usually able to get rid of it by pasting the note in the browser search bar, copying it from there and then pasting it again. But it's annoying since it gets rid of all the line and paragraph breaks so I have to do it manually. Is there a way to get rid of the line separations without having to do that?

• Like 1

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Sometimes this kind of thing can be fixed with paste-and-match-style (Ctrl+Shift+V), or simplify formatting (Ctrl+Space), or remove formatting (Ctrl+Shift+Space). But some of these will remove desired formatting, such as italics or URL links. But sometimes there is HTML formatting that just won't leave. I don't necessarily see this happening myself. Is it possible that something in the formatting of the Word document(s) may be causing it? You say "or elsewhere": can you be more specific? Websites for instance? There's always going to be underlying HTML formatting there, which can be very hard to remove, except by going through Notepad or another plain-text editor (using the browser search bar is admirably clever).

• Thanks 1

I've had this issue for as long as I've used Evernote (i.e. 6+years), but I used to be able to copy from Evernote into Word and just choose to change Word's paragraph formatting to single space. Some new development has now made this not possible (I'm having to go through a 50-page document line by line to erase the extra line space) and it's changed some of the word formatting so that I no longer know what the text used to say (e.g. "<br> <br>" what does that mean?? Break? Changed text?). This is a complete pain in the you-know-what. Evernote is supposed to be convenient. But if it can't work with other programs like Word, it's fairly useless. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Hi, and welcome to the forums. I believe <br> is HTML for a paragraph break. So somehow what's getting copied out of Word is getting pasted as HTML. In the (outdated) version of Word that I have, in the Options, under Advanced, in the Cut, copy, and paste section, there is Settings button for "smart cut and paste." I never knew this was there, and I don't use Word enough to mess with it. But you might want to check to see whether any of the settings there might help you.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Hi, and welcome to the forums. I believe <br> is HTML for a paragraph break. So somehow what's getting copied out of Word is getting pasted as HTML. In the (outdated) version of Word that I have, in the Options, under Advanced, in the Cut, copy, and paste section, there is Settings button for "smart cut and paste." I never knew this was there, and I don't use Word enough to mess with it. But you might want to check to see whether any of the settings there might help you.

<br> is a line break

<p> is a paragraph break

• Like 1