Bug found in 'Search text within images'

I save a lot of images with text in my Evernote to find them later by searching for text. Sometimes I save multiple images in one note. In earlier versions of Evernote for Android it would highlight the text search within images but now it no longer does. Let me explain further by attaching images below. The image with highlight is Evernote on iOS that successfully highlights, the other image without highlights is Evernote on Android. 

Screenshot_20190903-012205_Evernote.thumb.jpg.d552b1385c71fd1531f7467cf95ada91.jpg

IMG_8084.PNG

Edited by MayurH
Highlighted a portion of my post to make it amply clear that the feature to highlight text was indeed available on earlier versions of Evernote for Android and it has been removed in recent versions.
  • Level 5

This is not a bug, but a differing behavior by the two clients for iOS and Android. A bug would mean that it is intended to highlight on Android as well, but it wouldn’t work. But it is not intended to work on Android, it simply is not implemented there. So it is not a Bug, it is a non-Feature.

EN is well aware that the differences between the clients are annoying to customers that use multiple devices. The current top management made it a top priority to reduce these differences. I am fine with this, working with EN on Win10, MacOS and iOS, always remembering what to do best on which platform.

Reduce hopefully does not mean go for the smallest common denominator - EN is still running inside of operating systems, and their abilities can limit the functions on one device compared to another. I would rather not like to give up highlighting on iOS just because Android does not allow for something similar.

7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

This is not a bug, but a differing behavior by the two clients for iOS and Android. A bug would mean that it is intended to highlight on Android as well, but it wouldn’t work. But it is not intended to work on Android, it simply is not implemented there. So it is not a Bug, it is a non-Feature.

EN is well aware that the differences between the clients are annoying to customers that use multiple devices. The current top management made it a top priority to reduce these differences. I am fine with this, working with EN on Win10, MacOS and iOS, always remembering what to do best on which platform.

Reduce hopefully does not mean go for the smallest common denominator - EN is still running inside of operating systems, and their abilities can limit the functions on one device compared to another. I would rather not like to give up highlighting on iOS just because Android does not allow for something similar.

It used to work on Evernote for Android in the earlier versions hence I said it is a bug or has been removed in recent versions. I have been using EV for searching text within images. It used to highlight on Evernote for Android and was a really useful feature if you have multiple images in a single note. 

Edited by MayurH
  • Level 5

I can confirm that this is the case in the current version, 8.12; and I do think it used to work, though I couldn't swear to it. In fact, if you search within a note for text that appears only in an image, it will return 0 hits! Yet if you search a group of notes, or all notes, for text that appears in an image, it will return notes containing the image with the text. Very poorly done, IMO.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I had raised this issue several months ago. It used to highlight text on older versions of Android. Then suddenly one day Evernote decided 'let's get away with this super useful feature'. When I raised this issue, some die hard Evernote fan simply declined to believe that this was even a feature. Since I'm a long time user and my memory isn't that bad I do recall Evernote for android had this useful feature but somehow decided we didn't deserve this.  

However Evernote for Mac and Evernote Web retains this feature. 

Seven months later and no fix yet. Yes, Evernote for Android used to highlight text within images after a search operation. But now it doesn't. What will it take for Evernote team to bring back this feature or even get a half decent response from them? 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, MayurH said:

Seven months later and no fix yet. Yes, Evernote for Android used to highlight text within images after a search operation. But now it doesn't. What will it take for Evernote team to bring back this feature or even get a half decent response from them? 

I can confirm the behavior. In addition, general search on the recognition text doesn't seem to find the note either (it does in the native Windows application, though it doesn't in the web version). I did check and made  sure that the desired text was in the recognition text.

You will likely not get a direct answer from Evernote here, as this is primarily a user forum, not an official support forum. For official support, you can try https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action or https://twitter.com/evernotehelps?lang=en

• Level 5

I tested this on the latest versions of the Android, Windows, and Web beta clients. Here are the results for both searching all notes and searching within a single note (+ means the client did find or highlight, - means it did not; table created in Evernote Windows and Web):

Android
Windows
Web beta
All notes
+ Find, - Highlight
+ Find, + Highlight
+ Find, - Highlight
Within a note
- Find, - Highlight
-  Find, - Highlight
- Find, - Highlight

Thus currently (May 1, 2020), only the Windows program, of the 3 tested, highlights found text in an image; and none of them can even find text in an image when searching in an individual note.

I agree that this used to work in the Android app; I'm not sure about earlier Windows and Web versions (I didn't test the "previous" Web client). It definitely should be restored and made functional across all platforms. Hopefully the ongoing major redo of the editor across platforms (represented in its current state, as I understand it, in the Web beta) will address this.

• Level 5

Just tried it: iOS still working without a flaw. Finds text in images, and puts a highlight on top of it.

Because the client does not have an own search capability, things on the server probably work as before. It is just not reflected in some clients, it seems.

• 1 month later...

After "chatting" with technical support for an hour on the similar problem, multiply word search, I have on Android and Windows - the most annoying think is they act like this is the first time this has happened, and no one else is experiencing the same problem 😡 - All software has problems (I was a software developer) but to pretend there isn't a problem is extremely annoying - just downloaded version 6.25.0.9084 still the same search results.

Doc