MayurH

Bug found in 'Search text within images'

I save a lot of images with text in my Evernote to find them later by searching for text. Sometimes I save multiple images in one note. In earlier versions of Evernote for Android it would highlight the text search within images but now it no longer does. Let me explain further by attaching images below. The image with highlight is Evernote on iOS that successfully highlights, the other image without highlights is Evernote on Android. 

Screenshot_20190903-012205_Evernote.thumb.jpg.d552b1385c71fd1531f7467cf95ada91.jpg

IMG_8084.PNG

Edited by MayurH
Highlighted a portion of my post to make it amply clear that the feature to highlight text was indeed available on earlier versions of Evernote for Android and it has been removed in recent versions.

This is not a bug, but a differing behavior by the two clients for iOS and Android. A bug would mean that it is intended to highlight on Android as well, but it wouldn’t work. But it is not intended to work on Android, it simply is not implemented there. So it is not a Bug, it is a non-Feature.

EN is well aware that the differences between the clients are annoying to customers that use multiple devices. The current top management made it a top priority to reduce these differences. I am fine with this, working with EN on Win10, MacOS and iOS, always remembering what to do best on which platform.

Reduce hopefully does not mean go for the smallest common denominator - EN is still running inside of operating systems, and their abilities can limit the functions on one device compared to another. I would rather not like to give up highlighting on iOS just because Android does not allow for something similar.

7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

This is not a bug, but a differing behavior by the two clients for iOS and Android. A bug would mean that it is intended to highlight on Android as well, but it wouldn’t work. But it is not intended to work on Android, it simply is not implemented there. So it is not a Bug, it is a non-Feature.

EN is well aware that the differences between the clients are annoying to customers that use multiple devices. The current top management made it a top priority to reduce these differences. I am fine with this, working with EN on Win10, MacOS and iOS, always remembering what to do best on which platform.

Reduce hopefully does not mean go for the smallest common denominator - EN is still running inside of operating systems, and their abilities can limit the functions on one device compared to another. I would rather not like to give up highlighting on iOS just because Android does not allow for something similar.

It used to work on Evernote for Android in the earlier versions hence I said it is a bug or has been removed in recent versions. I have been using EV for searching text within images. It used to highlight on Evernote for Android and was a really useful feature if you have multiple images in a single note. 

Edited by MayurH

I can confirm that this is the case in the current version, 8.12; and I do think it used to work, though I couldn't swear to it. In fact, if you search within a note for text that appears only in an image, it will return 0 hits! Yet if you search a group of notes, or all notes, for text that appears in an image, it will return notes containing the image with the text. Very poorly done, IMO.