wjmfx

How to stop IFTTT from enabling the PublicURL of my notes

Hey folks,

I have setup IFTTT to add the title of my new notes to a Google Spreadsheet.

There is an IFTTT ingredient called "PublicURL" but I'm not using it. Sadly my notes still get their PublicURL enabled. I don't want this Public Link enabled.

Does anyone know how to stop IFTTT from enabling the PublicURL for my notes?

Thanks

Hi.  Evernote notes default to being hidden behind the server's firewall,  and inaccessible to third party apps:  so for IFTTT to be able to link to them and copy the title I think they have to be public URLs.  You could raise this with IFTTT and Evernote support in case they have any way around the issue,  but I don't think there's an option.  Even though the notes are made public it's pretty unlikely that the content will be found - they'll be the very opposite of 'search engine optimised' - no incoming links,  no traffic - so even if indexed by a search engine they'll be in the low millions of suggested hits.  You'd need to send the URL to someone so they could find it.

If you do find out more on this,  please come back and tell us about it...

Hey gazumped,

Thanks for taking a dive in to this topic! I appreciate the help.

I actually had a similar theory and to test it out I configured Zapier to do the same thing. Zapier is not enabling the PublicURL of the notes. I've tried to dig in to the Zapier Zap to see if they're using the PublicURL and then turning it off, but I can't find anything to prove that.

Do you happen to know if there's somewhere to see the API calls to my Evernote account? Maybe I can see there what IFTTT is doing compared to Zapier.

I did contact Evernote support and they said it's up to IFTTT to handle the service. Trying to get a hold of IFTTT support is much harder.

I do know it'd be pretty difficult for someone to find the PublicURL of a note once enabled, but no matter how minuscule it is a security risk in my opinion.

Cheers.

12 minutes ago, wjmfx said:

Do you happen to know if there's somewhere to see the API calls to my Evernote account? Maybe I can see there what IFTTT is doing compared to Zapier.

I don't think so, but I can check the note's  sharedate on my Mac to see when the public url was created