Any way to move things around on a page?

I'm thinking of switching from OneNote to Evernote. One of the things I use a lot in OneNote is the ability to move things around on a page, and place things in different parts of a page. Is there any way to do this in Evernote? And can you mix different types of objects in a note—e.g., a ToDo list, some paragraphs of text, and an image, all on one note?

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, tomgoodell said:

I'm thinking of switching from OneNote to Evernote. One of the things I use a lot in OneNote is the ability to move things around on a page, and place things in different parts of a page. Is there any way to do this in Evernote? And can you mix different types of objects in a note—e.g., a ToDo list, some paragraphs of text, and an image, all on one note?

Pages don't exist per se in EN.  There are only notes.  You can copy/paste within a note or drag and drop.  You can mix content within a note as well.  Give it a try, the EN editor may or may not be what you want.  Easy enough to test drive.

• Level 5*

place things in different parts of a page

I use a table to layout different areas in the note.  I use the cells to place things in different parts of the page

For example, left side column, right side column, upper right corner, ...

>>And can you mix different types of objects in a note—e.g., a ToDo list, some paragraphs of text, and an image, all on one note?

Yes, I do this often

• Level 5*

One of the things I use a lot in OneNote is the ability to move things around on a page, and place things in different parts of a page.

You can't directly place objects/text a specific place in Evernote, like you can with OneNote or PowerPoint.

One kind workaround would be to use tables in Evernote, and put the objects in the cell you want.  You can change the color of the table borders, so you could make them "disappear" by setting border color to same as Note background color.

37 minutes ago, CalS said:

And can you mix different types of objects in a note—e.g., a ToDo list, some paragraphs of text, and an image, all on one note?

Yes, very easy to do.  You can attach just about any file, with some limitations on file size.

If being able to place items in different parts of a page as you can currently do in OneNote is really important to you, then Evernote will be a disappointment. I have used both, and OneNote is essentially a large page which allows you to click anywhere and write text, place an image, audio, etc. anywhere you want. You can then resize and drag the items around the page to your hearts content (as an aside, this feature/metaphor is the very reasons I stopped using OneNote as I found it really confusing, and cumbersome).

Evernote is much more like Notepad on Windows. Straight forward and linear, although you can paste image, PDFs, Word docs, etc. but they fall inline, rather than being able to place them anywhere.

The table idea might work as a bit of a work around, but it will not replicate what you get in OneNote b/c the tables are based on rows and columns, whereas OneNote is more freeform.

As someone said above, just try it for yourself and you be the judge 🙂

Thanks to all who replied—this was super helpful, and having an active user forum like this is another point that makes Evernote attractive. 

At this time the free-form structure of OneNote pages is really important to me, as I use it for collecting lots of related ideas then moving them around. But I'll keep my eyes out on Evernote and may experiment with switching some or all of my note taking to it in the future.

• Like 1