I recently switched from a Mac to a PC. Evernote on the PC is almost unusable to me unless I go to the web version. I can't get the font in the Evernote app large enough for me to read. I don't like the layout in Windows, it's hard to find anything or even to do a search. Is there a way to make the app on Windows easier to navigate or see?

en1.png

• Level 5

If this is a general issue, maybe change the settings of your display. Modern displays are a marvel in sharpness, but they tend to make everything smaller than usual. They just use the same number of pixels, but the pixels are smaller.

On WIndows 10, go to Settings-System-Display-Scale and layout, play around with the size of text and Resolution till you are satisfied, you may have to sign out or reboot to see the difference in Evernote.   Personally I keep mine at 200%.

I have tags and notebooks organized so that I no longer need the left panel open in normal use, so I can better use the bigger font size. 

I suspect that the Mac version might be the better EN implementation, based on posts I have been reading (never tried it), though the Windows version has a few tricks apparently missing from the Mac version.

• Level 5*

You can change your default note and title fonts & sizes: Tools / Options / General

You can also, while editing a note, change your zoom level: Ctrl+'+' and Ctrl+'-'. I don't think that this is retained between visits to a note, and it's not settable on a global level (to Evernote) either. Probably @CalS would know.

The Windows version has any number of usability features that are handy to use. It's hard to tell what you don't like about it or the layout, since you're not being very specific about that or what difficulties you're having doing searches.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Don Dz said:

On WIndows 10, go to Settings-System-Display-Scale and layout, play around with the size of text and Resolution till you are satisfied, you may have to sign out or reboot to see the difference in Evernote.   Personally I keep mine at 200%.

I have tags and notebooks organized so that I no longer need the left panel open in normal use, so I can better use the bigger font size. 

I suspect that the Mac version might be the better EN implementation, based on posts I have been reading (never tried it), though the Windows version has a few tricks apparently missing from the Mac version.

Thank you for the reply. Do you have an example of how you have your tags and notebooks organized? 200% resolution makes part of the screen go past the edge of the page that I am looking at. The left panel is dark and the right side of the EN screen I look at is light, and I am not sure how to make the left panel light.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, ChipAHoy said:

The left panel is dark and the right side of the EN screen I look at is light, and I am not sure how to make the left panel light.

Tools / Options / General --> "Left Panel Theme"

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, ChipAHoy said:

I know I am not being specific enough. All of the text in the Evernote app on Windows just seems jammed too close together, it's not comfortable or easy to find what I am looking for.

You can only adjust the note title and note fonts and Ctrl + - only works on the Note window.  The note list and the rest are EN controlled.  I don't think there is a registry setting so the only way is as stated above to modify your default display settings at the Windows level.

Relative to ease of use I have the same experience with EN on the Mac.  I find it very difficult to get things done on a Mac as effectively as I can on my PC.  Could just be a familiarity thing, old habits, whatever.  I would give it some time to see how it goes.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ChipAHoy said:

Thank you for the reply. Do you have an example of how you have your tags and notebooks organized? 200% resolution makes part of the screen go past the edge of the page that I am looking at. The left panel is dark and the right side of the EN screen I look at is light, and I am not sure how to make the left panel light.

It all depends on the size of your monitor, and your resolution setting, I have my 27 inch monitor set to 175% text size and 1920x1080 resolution, and my 13 inch to 200% text size at 1792x1344 resolution, try experimenting with what works for you.   Also try Settings-Ease of Access-Display, the text size slider might help a little.

Many people have posted about organizing with tags, I have borrowed DTLow's ideas, it's all about single character prefixes that display a whole category of tags, my main categories are as follows:    ?Who, @Where, .When, /What, `GTD,  ;Ref, ~Music,  etc.  Those are tag headers for the actual tag stacks I use.  This way I can display only the group of tags I need in the tag field of the note, without using the left panel.

I tag every untagged or undecided note with #T, much easier to find & process later than if it had no tag.

Notebooks used to be much the same, but I have reduced mine to 3 main ones, plus a few special purpose ones, I basically focus on tags now.

I agree about the screen clutter, I have shortened many of my tags (Proj instead of Project, wk instead of weekly, td in place of to do, etc.), to help with that situation.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, ChipAHoy said:

Thank you for the reply. Do you have an example of how you have your tags and notebooks organized?

I have a two monitor set up and keep EN open all the time on the right monitor.  I have the left panel as a ribbon (F10 toggles left panel open/ribbon).  This allows for more space for whichever note list you choose and the note window.  I have 5 notebooks of record.  I use a single character prefix for some tags, task, years, projects and people.  Other than that I try to keep tags to a minimum and have them be simple and represent what they are, Statement for statements for example.  Makes it easier to remember the tags.  I don't add many tags any more.  Good thing about EN is that it is fairly easy to change your strategy as your use case refines.