Again the sluggishness problem

I've seen people complaining about Evernote for Windows' speed back in 2017 and 18, but now for some reason it's getting unbearable. I have less than 1000 notes and try to keep as few images and other non-text content to a minimum. I wonder how's the experience of those really heavy users who maintain 10k notes and counting. 

Evernote is taking long to load when opening the app, long to switch between notes and if you fire up the search... You must have patience. 

I beg the devs to think about what Evernote was meant for in the first place: to be a NOTE TAKING app, not a full-blown American Congress Library replica. 

Edit: one thing I suspect is slowing Evernote down is the amount of preloaded fonts for each and every note:

image.thumb.png.7530c63efdabfca5a45cd10946f0b25c.png

As you can see, there is a number of fonts that come with Windows – or not – that will most likely never be used in Evernote. So there could be an option for the user to limit or select just a few good fonts to be available in the never-ending drop-down menu.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Leozin said:

one thing I suspect is slowing Evernote down is the amount of preloaded fonts for each and every note:

Those aren't pre-loaded. They're only rendered when that control is expanded.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Leozin said:

I wonder how's the experience of those really heavy users who maintain 10k notes and counting. 

43k notes with no speed issues. 

1. Check what else is running on your machine, particularly any of the Microsoft background stuff which you don't use. 
  2. Turn off context in EN. 
  3. Hold Ctrl and click on help.  Select optimize data base.
  4. EN performance is impacted by memory and disk type (HDD vs SSD).
  • Like 1
  • Level 5

Concerning the fonts: You can choose which fonts are in use on your PC, and uninstall all the others. If you want to keep them "just in case" you can save the files containing the font information in another folder. Those in use will be found in all applications that allow for it.

Concerning speed: No issue for me, and for many others. Additional hint: There is an attachments folder. Other users solved their issue by deleting the content:

C:\Users\{username}\Evernote\Databases\Attachments , or wherever you have your EN installed.

• Level 5
3 minutes ago, CalS said:

EN performance is impacted by memory and disk type (HDD vs SSD).

I've never seen a formal recommendation from Evernote to switch from a hard drive to a solid state drive to solve the "Not Responding" problem.

The only solutions I have received from Support over the years is the standard  Evernote reply - do a complete uninstall, reinstall and sync. Even though I always send my Activity Log with my support request, they have never mentioned the problem is my memory or HDD.  

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

I've never seen a formal recommendation from Evernote to switch from a hard drive to a solid state drive to solve the "Not Responding" problem.

Doesn't mean it won't work.  Practical experience on my part.  Many years ago, BAD EN performance - install SSD - EXCELLENT EN performance.  Sure it's only one data point, but a fine data point for me.  ;)   IAC, just about any app or machine performs better with an SSD and more memory.

• Level 5

From the threads here, I would not say "SSD = never have a problem". But many postings complaining performance were HDD-based Windows.

For EN access time to information is more important than number-crunching power. So it seems that CPU-power is pretty irrelevant, but SSD-speed in data access can push performance a lot. Besides, SSDs got really cheap in the last year, 500GB selling currently for prices that start at about 50€/$, and 1TB at about 90€/$.

Switching from a HDD to a SSD is the one investment giving the most bang for a buck, especially on older PCs with a cluttered C-drive.

• Level 5
16 minutes ago, CalS said:

Doesn't mean it won't work. 

Sure. SSD's are great. But what I find frustrating is if a SSD solves the Not Responding problem,  why is Evernote silent on suggesting swapping a Hard Drive with a Solid State Drive? I have never seen a formal comment from any Evernote employee recommending the swap. 

• Level 5
8 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Switching from a HDD to a SSD is the one investment giving the most bang for a buck, especially on older PCs with a cluttered C-drive.

Why is Evernote Support silent on the SSD solution?

I can't find anything in their blogs that recommends swapping out a hard drive with a new SSD to solve the Not Responding problem. Even Google search can't find anything from an Evernote employee.

• Level 5

Why do you ask us, ask EN ?!

We can share our experience as a USER, which sometimes is enough to solve an issue. We are not any closer to EN than you are, just a mouse click away from the "ask support" link. They run a nice Zen-desk setup, so support staff is somewhat guided (restricted... ) when they try to solve a ticket. We as users are not, only a bunch of free philosophers.

My experience in the performance enhancing-ranking is 1) SSD 2) RAM 3) CPU - but when you are beyond 1) and 2), which will both cost between 50 and 100€/$ per step, it is probably cheaper to get yourself a new PC, than exchange the motherboard, to support the new CPU, which will need a new power supply, which will not fit into your PCs housing, which ...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jbenson2 said:

Sure. SSD's are great. But what I find frustrating is if a SSD solves the Not Responding problem,  why is Evernote silent on suggesting swapping a Hard Drive with a Solid State Drive? I have never seen a formal comment from any Evernote employee recommending the swap. 

Maybe who wants to admit that hardware solves a software problem?

Thanks guys, I made it. 

Turns out I was being dumb: I had relocated the local files, including the database, to a secondary partition, which is mounted on a HDD. My OS runs inside a SSD, but because of short storage, I moved the Evernote DB to the HDD. Stupid move, given that the DB is still small compared to the free space.

:)

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 8/23/2019 at 11:12 AM, jbenson2 said:

Why is Evernote Support silent on the SSD solution?

I can't find anything in their blogs that recommends swapping out a hard drive with a new SSD to solve the Not Responding problem. Even Google search can't find anything from an Evernote employee.

Maybe because admitting that a hardware upgrade is needed for decent performance on Windows would not be a message that they would want to send.  It also may not be something they actually tested and quantified, but installing an SSD will give you overall better system performance that you will notice and hopefully it will also improve your Evernote experience.

• 9 months later...
On 8/23/2019 at 10:15 AM, CalS said:

43k notes with no speed issues. 

1. Check what else is running on your machine, particularly any of the Microsoft background stuff which you don't use. 
  2. Turn off context in EN. 
  3. Hold Ctrl and click on help.  Select optimize data base.
  4. EN performance is impacted by memory and disk type (HDD vs SSD).

Turning off context made all the difference for me. Switching Notebooks was painful on Windows but non-issue on Android. Now, on Windows, no detectable delay.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, AndyEvernote said:

Turning off context made all the difference for me. Switching Notebooks was painful on Windows but non-issue on Android. Now, on Windows, no detectable delay.

Good to hear.