Better notebook functions and features

XaviFabi

Idea

I've been using Evernote for over a month now and love it. Though I found some things wich I would love as features in Evernote!

Notebook

• Stick notes on top of a Notebook for a better visibility
  • Sort notes individualy: freely drag and drop notes in a notebook
  • Insert a register inside a notebook: like in real life I'd love to insert a register in a notebook to better organize my files

Features

• A more versitile Reminder: using recurring reminders; remind when I'm at a specific place; and so on
  • Tag system in Web / Mobile analog to Windows / Mac App: It is kind of irritating, that I can only manage tags on my Pc. I love the hierarchy of tags in the Windows / Mac app and would love to see it on my phone and in the web!
  • Windows / Mac App Editor analog to Web Editor: I love the new functionalities of the beta function in the new Web version and would love to have in on my Windows PC App
  • Less differences in general: It is kind of confusing if you switch from Web version to the PC App. There are better function in web, but in the PC App version there are advantages to. I'd love to see a more balanced system!

Thanks for reading. What do you think of those ideas?

• Like 1

21 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, XaviFabi said:

I've been using Evernote for over a month now and love it. Though I found some things wich I would love as features in Evernote!

Notebook

• Stick notes on top of a Notebook for a better visibility
  • Sort notes individualy: freely drag and drop notes in a notebook
  • Insert a register inside a notebook: like in real life I'd love to insert a register in a notebook to better organize my files

Features

• A more versitile Reminder: using recurring reminders; remind when I'm at a specific place; and so on
  • Tag system in Web / Mobile analog to Windows / Mac App: It is kind of irritating, that I can only manage tags on my Pc. I love the hierarchy of tags in the Windows / Mac app and would love to see it on my phone and in the web!
  • Windows / Mac App Editor analog to Web Editor: I love the new functionalities of the beta function in the new Web version and would love to have in on my Windows PC App
  • Less differences in general: It is kind of confusing if you switch from Web version to the PC App. There are better function in web, but in the PC App version there are advantages to. I'd love to see a more balanced system!

Thanks for reading. What do you think of those ideas?

Good ideas.  I would say all of them already exist in voting threads in the forum.  You can search them out and your vote if you like.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, XaviFabi said:

Insert a register inside a notebook: like in real life I'd love to insert a register in a notebook to better organize my files

I'm not clear on the "register"; can you add more details.

On 8/23/2019 at 11:45 PM, DTLow said:

I'm not clear on the "register"; can you add more details.

I am sorry for the late response.

What I mean with registers you can find in enclosed picture. It's for seperating notes in a notebook and giving them different "topics" inside the notebook.

This would help to make notebooks clearer.

notebook_indices_pocket_pastel_4blanktabs.jpg

• Level 5

The idea to get more visual feedback is good.

For the logical structure, in EN you should rely on tags. The notebooks are only for a very basic structure, and you do not need many of them. Tags are the main instrument to create the logical information that assists in finding information.

There were tools in the past that supported a visual view on that, but both I know seem to be obsolete.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

The idea to get more visual feedback is good.

For the logical structure, in EN you should rely on tags. The notebooks are only for a very basic structure, and you do not need many of them. Tags are the main instrument to create the logical information that assists in finding information.

There were tools in the past that supported a visual view on that, but both I know seem to be obsolete.

You are absolutely right. Tags are one of the key-functions for organizing notes.

Nevertheless I belive visual feedback like registers would totally help many people. Sometimes tags get too complicated and you just want to quickly find some notes. I am using tags to structure notes on a more detailed level. Notebooks for a rough overview. Now I am missing something in between: something like registers

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, XaviFabi said:

Now I am missing something in between: something like registers

From a hierarchy view, we currently have Stacks/Notebooks
You're asking for Stacks/Notebooks/Registers 
- and the UI will  be visual, like tabs in a physical notebook

My example is a document relating to home insurance
Currently I create a note
and assign notebook:Private/Filing
                     tag:Insurance tag:Home tag:Vndr-Allstate
What would be your assignment with the new Registers?

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

From a hierarchy view, we currently have Stacks/Notebooks
You're asking for Stacks/Notebooks/Registers 
- and the UI will  be visual, like tabs in a physical notebook

My example is a document relating to home insurance
Currently I create a note
and assign notebook:Private/Filing
                     tag:Insurance tag:Home tag:Vndr-Allstate
What would be your assignment with the new Registers?

For me it gets more and more unclear if I just add tags. And for some notebooks I need specific tags that I don't need in others. With a register you can switch to different parts of your notebook without having to add more and more tags.

Just because there are tags and it works doesn't mean there aren't other ways wich may function more efficiently.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, XaviFabi said:

For me it gets more and more unclear if I just add tags.

And it gets more and more clear if you just add registers???

>>And for some notebooks I need specific tags that I don't need in others. 

The focus is on the note  (Evernote)
- which tags are needed for the note
- which notebook (register) is needed for the note

>>other ways wich may function more efficiently

And I'm interested in your method of organizing the example I posted 
How does the register fit in?
Keep in mind, I identified three categories for organization

• Level 5*

OK, what is being called "registers" here is what I would normal call "notebook dividers", like the things you can buy at Staples (e.g. https://www.staples.com/Staples-5-1-2-x-8-1-2-5-Tab-Mini-Tab-Dividers/product_354572). They are essentially physical dividers that partition a notebook into discrete sections, and they can have a label so you can name your sections.

There's nothing like this in Evernote now, but you can certainly implement this using, yes, tags, and a little discipline. Doesn't seem that hard.

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

And it gets more and more clear if you just add registers???

>>And for some notebooks I need specific tags that I don't need in others. 

The focus is on the note;
- which tags are needed for the note
- which notebook is needed for the note

>>other ways wich may function more efficiently

And I'm interested in your method of organizing the example I posted 
How does the register fit in?
Keep in mind, I identified three categories for organization

I don‘t think we are using EN the same way. I normally use it for university and other projects. 
Yes, I could use tags and I am using them. It would just be an extra feature which would make searching notes a bit faster (for the way I am using EN). 

I don‘t know why you are so negative idea. I would like to know what would be so bad if there were deviders. (Why are you „defending“ the idea of tags)

I don‘t really get your example, I am sorry (none native speaker)

Greetings 

1 hour ago, jefito said:

OK, what is being called "registers" here is what I would normal call "notebook dividers", like the things you can buy at Staples (e.g. https://www.staples.com/Staples-5-1-2-x-8-1-2-5-Tab-Mini-Tab-Dividers/product_354572). They are essentially physical dividers that partition a notebook into discrete sections, and they can have a label so you can name your sections.

There's nothing like this in Evernote now, but you can certainly implement this using, yes, tags, and a little discipline. Doesn't seem that hard.

Agreed. You can do so much with tags. But sometimes it just seems a bit cryptical which I don‘t like (and I am not the only one facing this problem). 

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, XaviFabi said:

don‘t know why you are so negative idea. I would like to know what would be so bad if there were deviders. (Why are you „defending“ the idea of tags)

I'm sorry if I gave the impression I was negative or defensive
I am trying to understand the "Register" concept, and how to incorporate it into my workflow

>>I don‘t really get your example

You could present your own example; it should have multiple organization categories

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, XaviFabi said:

. You can do so much with tags. But sometimes it just seems a bit cryptical which I don‘t like (and I am not the only one facing this problem). 

Not sure what this means. Tags are simple: they're just labels that you can put on an Evernote note, and you can filter your notes based on tags. Nothing cryptical at all about them.

To your second point: sure, lots and lots of people have asked for more levels of notebook hierarchy (which is essentially what your notion of 'register' is). And all of that's valid, and even so, Evernote hasn't implemented anything like that since stacks were introduced. So that's what we have to work with. STacks, notebooks, and tags. Notebooks and tags could work fine, but curiously enough, stacks and notebooks work a lot like your registers: notebooks partition stacks into discrete collections of notes. I'd use tags myself, but maybe stacks would do the trick for you.

1 hour ago, jefito said:

Not sure what this means. Tags are simple: they're just labels that you can put on an Evernote note, and you can filter your notes based on tags. Nothing cryptical at all about them.

To your second point: sure, lots and lots of people have asked for more levels of notebook hierarchy (which is essentially what your notion of 'register' is). And all of that's valid, and even so, Evernote hasn't implemented anything like that since stacks were introduced. So that's what we have to work with. STacks, notebooks, and tags. Notebooks and tags could work fine, but curiously enough, stacks and notebooks work a lot like your registers: notebooks partition stacks into discrete collections of notes. I'd use tags myself, but maybe stacks would do the trick for you.

You are totally right. 
I only thought this forum section is to share ideas of improvements (doesn‘t mean EN needs to implement it). Named deviders would help me and I think not only me. Wich does not mean its for everybody.

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm sorry if I gave the impression I was negative or defensive
I am trying to understand the "Register" concept, and how to incorporate it into my workflow

>>I don‘t really get your example

You could present your own example; it should have multiple organization categories

Ok sorry that I missunderstood.

The best example would be different subjects for university. I have a notebook named university. In it there are notes for mathematics, thermodynamics etc. and organizational notes. 
Yes - I can use tags. But for me deviders would be clearer in this case: one section called „mathematics“ another „organization“ and so on. 
Those deviders could then be in form of visual tabs. If you look on the picture I showed in a previous post: on the right side of the paper there are extensions. One could visually implement those and click on them to go to different section.

Let me know if it is not understandable

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, XaviFabi said:

You are totally right. 
I only thought this forum section is to share ideas of improvements (doesn‘t mean EN needs to implement it). Named deviders would help me and I think not only me. Wich does not mean its for everybody.

To be sure, most people looking for more organizational constructs ask for notebook hierarchy, a la file systems (huge thread dating back from 2008 or so in this forum). Never seen one for notebook dividers, but if I recall correctly, OneNote has them. It's certainly fine to ask for such things; flip side, it's not bad to offer workarounds for the Evernote of today, nor does it necessarily imply that those who do are against the original idea. Sometimes folks don't just know what's available in Evernote, and a workaround suffices.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, XaviFabi said:

I have a notebook named university. In it there are notes for mathematics, thermodynamics etc. and organizational notes....

But for me deviders would be clearer in this case: one section called „mathematics“ another „organization“ and so on. 

2071604285_ScreenShot2019-08-28at16_09_12.png.c718d0bcfe944abafbd7d99891c98966.pngIn the meantime until this gets implemented,
Evernote supports Notebook Stacks
In the screenshot, I'm showing the Notebook Tree with a University Stack

6 hours ago, jefito said:

Sometimes folks don't just know what's available in Evernote, and a workaround suffices.

Exactly. But I know there are ways to handle it in Evernote. I just don‘t think it‘s optimal.

Thankfully there are mediums to discuss such topics. Like forums

6 hours ago, DTLow said:

2071604285_ScreenShot2019-08-28at16_09_12.png.c718d0bcfe944abafbd7d99891c98966.pngIn the meantime until this gets implemented,
Evernote supports Notebook Stacks
In the screenshot, I'm showing the Notebook Tree with a University Stack

Thanks. It is a good idea, but I am using tags (I like them. Deviders would just be additional)

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, XaviFabi said:

I am using tags (I like them. Deviders would just be additional)

There's also a similar tag tree in the sidebar

59 minutes ago, DTLow said:

There's also a similar tag tree in the sidebar

In the windows app, yes.

But I'm mostly using the web version (better editior in the beta version) and mobile version. There you can't see the tag tree