Can't Sync With VPN

Randall v.

Idea

For some reason after recently upgrading to 7.12,  I can no longer sync Evernote Desktop on Mac to the Evernote server when my VPN is connected (I use NordVPN).

If I disconnect the VPN, sync works fine.

I find this very annoying as I want my VPN connected at all times. Why is Evernote having this issue?

Screenshot 2019-08-22 at 13.21.43.png

20 replies to this idea

• Level 5

It is rather not EN having an issue. I use EN with and without my VPN and do NOT have a syncing issue. I am using 2 VPN solutions, one with a provider, the other through an own server. When the VPN tunnel is established, EN works just fine, just maybe a little bit slower.

NordVPN I do not know. I know their aggressive marketing, which keeps me away in first place.

Because this can be a deep issue, What about contacting support of NordVPN and EN about this ?

9 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

It is rather not EN having an issue. I use EN with and without my VPN and do NOT have a syncing issue. I am using 2 VPN solutions, one with a provider, the other through an own server. When the VPN tunnel is established, EN works just fine, just maybe a little bit slower.

NordVPN I do not know. I know their aggressive marketing, which keeps me away in first place.

Because this can be a deep issue, What about contacting support of NordVPN and EN about this ?

Thanks for your reply.

But EN was connecting without difficulty the day before when the VPN was connected. The issue only occurred after I upgraded, so I doubt NordVPN is the issue.

However I will contact their support as well.

• Level 5*
53 minutes ago, Randall v. said:

Different servers make no difference.

Sorry, got nothing else other than maybe a reboot.  Like @PinkElephant I am not having any sync issues through my VPN.  Private Internet Access to be specific.

2 minutes ago, CalS said:

Sorry, got nothing else other than maybe a reboot.  Like @PinkElephant I am not having any sync issues through my VPN.  Private Internet Access to be specific.

Yeah, a reboot doesn't solve it either. I'm waiting to hear back from NordVPN support to see if they can solve this.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Randall v. said:

Yeah, a reboot doesn't solve it either. I'm waiting to hear back from NordVPN support to see if they can solve this.

Maybe post back when you get an answer, for posterity.

• Like 1

I think I found the problem.

In NordVPN preferences there is a feature called CyberSec that blocks ads and malware; I had it checked.

Previously it did not interfere with EN, but either something in EN 7.12 changed that caused it to be flagged by CyberSec, or NordVPN changed something in CyberSec that erroneously flagged EN.

After unchecking this feature, EN is now able to sync while I'm connected to the VPN.

For anyone else using NordVPN that has the same issue, try turning off CyberSec.

• Thanks 4
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, Randall v. said:

In NordVPN preferences there is a feature called CyberSec that blocks ads and malware; I had it checked.

Previously it did not interfere with EN, but either something in EN 7.12 changed that caused it to be flagged by CyberSec, or NordVPN changed something in CyberSec that erroneously flagged EN.

After unchecking this feature, EN is now able to sync while I'm connected to the VPN.

For anyone else using NordVPN that has the same issue, try turning off CyberSec.

Thanks for posting the solution.

1 hour ago, Rob van Vliet said:

I contacted their support via chat, and they said they werd having problems with CyberSec. Sounds to me as a false positive. Anyway, it works again (for me)

I still haven't heard yet from support, however I just tried enabling CyberSec and it still messes with EN for me, so I had to disable it again.

On 8/23/2019 at 12:51 AM, Randall v. said:

I think you found it.  I have NordVPN too.  Switched off CyberSec in both IOS & OSX & now I CAN sync thru the VPN.  No idea If it’s EN or VPN, but it started with the EN beta 7.12.

I guess I won’t miss CyberSec.  But since these are work devices, I kept them screwed down as tight as I can on security settings. And NordVPN has been a remarkable service for me, all around the world. 

Thx for isolating this issue & the fix. 

• Ex Employees

Hi folks, this appears to be a recent issue identified by NordVPN. Please see their help center article for more information here: https://support.nordvpn.com/General-info/Features/1047407402/What-is-CyberSec.htm

Note: we are currently experiencing some technical issues with CyberSec. If you are unable to load most websites with enabled CyberSec, please turn it off and check if the issue persists.

Please check with NordVPN's support for more information on when this issue may be resolved on their end. Thanks!

Yes I confirm as a user that it seems to be Cybersec. I had it checked and now Ive unchecked EN syncs again. It was syncing before no problem with Cybersec checked but for a couple of days has been having issues. 

On 8/27/2019 at 6:01 AM, Jay-Bob said:

Hi folks, this appears to be a recent issue identified by NordVPN. Please see their help center article for more information here: https://support.nordvpn.com/General-info/Features/1047407402/What-is-CyberSec.htm

Please check with NordVPN's support for more information on when this issue may be resolved on their end. Thanks!

Update: CyberSec seems to be fixed, I can now enable it and still sync EN.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I used nordvpn and there support was good. I switched from nordvpn to different vpn provider since the hacking compromise. But all you need to contact with the support whoever vpn you use. Such technical issues may occur.