Overnight changes, or is it just me?

Literally 24 hours ago, the user interface for the web version has drastically changed.
Is this a real change or did I mistakenly activate a "new" or "beta" user experience?
I ask, because I do not like it ... at all.

• Tags are now at the top, not the bottom.
  • I can no longer tag from the keyboard, i.e. type tag, space, type tag, space, etc. Now I have to click, type, click, type.
  • Padding space around bullet list items is all kinds of wrong ...
    • too much space between bullets
    • random bullets have yet more extra padding below
    • sub-bullets have yet even more extra padding
  • huge gutter/gap between the notes/notebooks column and the body of the current note with no way to adjust, resize, etc.

I mean, honestly, the bullet lists are a mess. At a quick glance, my lists appear bloated, looking double or even triple spaced at points.
I just opened Evernote this morning to continue with some notes and I was slapped in the face with ... this. I don't know if anything else has changed yet ...

I have been using Evernote for a long time. Whatever is going on has "retroactively" affected thousands of my notes.
If this truly is a UI/UX change - and not a mistaken settings change on my part - is the kind of "snafu" that caused me to walk away from Evernote several years ago.
I've only returned to Evernote in the past six months, and this time with a free account. (I paid for years only to have "things change" to such a degree that I found the system unusable.)

I have always used Evernote primarily for project notes, project to-do's, and idea capture. Layout and formatting is critical for me. You break that, you break my flow - and it just broke. It sounds silly, but the last time I left Evernote, it was because they changed the rendering of the "divider line;" what was being rendered as a simple separator suddenly had new formatting rules resulting in divider lines "moving" and looking like title/body dividers. I formatted my notes to use a divider as both a block separator and a title/body separator; suddenly every use of the divider was transformed into a title/body format.

This time around, I hope it was because I accidentally changed some setting; I'm hoping someone will be able to tell me how to revert because I can't seem to find any option to do so. If this is a new UI/UX change to Evernote, we'll have to break up again. They cannot keep changing how text is rendered and expect users to continue using their service. :(

• Level 5*

Hi.  AFAIK there have been no mysterious 'changes' - my Web client looks the same this morning as it did last night.  Tags are at the bottom,  not the top;  can't speak for other layout.  It's possible to change between versions of Evernote in Settings - maybe check to see whether going to a different version gets things back to rights.  Previous versions of notes would be available in Note History which is a paid option - but you need only upgrade only for a month if that becomes necessary.

Evernote web changed for me too. (firefox)

But i reallllllyyy like it.

Killer future for me: (i have been waiting for this so long)
I can now add an attachment to a place in the note where my cursor is.
Before all attachments were added on the end of the note.

I do not use tags or bullet lists, so no problem for me

=> For some people there will be regressions (changes). But for me this time a big thumbs up.

• Thanks 2
On 8/19/2019 at 10:09 PM, TheKnighWhoSaysNI said:

Evernote web changed for me too. (firefox)

But i reallllllyyy like it.

Killer future for me: (i have been waiting for this so long)
I can now add an attachment to a place in the note where my cursor is.
Before all attachments were added on the end of the note.

I do not use tags or bullet lists, so no problem for me

=> For some people there will be regressions (changes). But for me this time a big thumbs up.

Yes, finally a working FireFox implementation 🙂

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2019 at 3:56 AM, PinkElephant said:

When you are in the web client, at the bottom right edge of the window is a button. There you can switch between the beta and the classical editor.

From your description you are in beta.

Hmm. There is no button at the bottom, right. There is a button at the bottom, left - its the "account" icon. When I click on that, there's an option "Switch to the new Evernote Web" ... so I'm guessing I'm already using the "old" version now.

On 8/19/2019 at 3:54 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  AFAIK there have been no mysterious 'changes' - my Web client looks the same this morning as it did last night.  Tags are at the bottom,  not the top;  can't speak for other layout.  It's possible to change between versions of Evernote in Settings - maybe check to see whether going to a different version gets things back to rights.  Previous versions of notes would be available in Note History which is a paid option - but you need only upgrade only for a month if that becomes necessary.

Ha! Cake, meet icing. (Or perhaps "wound, meet salt" would be more apropos.) As I noted in a recent comment, I'm already (apparently) using the "old interface." I took the suggestion and flipped versions to see if perhaps that might set me right. It didn't. It actually destroyed all my bullet list sub-indents for every ... single ... note ... ever ... created - and across all notebooks, to boot! I panicked and jumped back to the "old interface;" the now de-indented bullets persist. So, all my indentations are lost. ((sigh)) And the inter-line bullet spacing is still randomly inconsistent from bullet to bullet.

NOT A RANT. Just telling it like it is ...

Sad to say, I'm done with Evernote. I don't have the time - let alone the mental energy - to re-port, tweak, twiddle, and reformat all my notes a third time. It's unfortunate that proper technical support is only available as a "paid perk." Had I the opportunity to submit a ticket and find a solution, I may have considered returning as a paid customer.

• Level 5

Now, maybe look at it from the EN side.

You are volunteering as a pro bono customer today, consuming resources, but not paying. The only reason to allow this type of customer today is to generate more paying customers tomorrow. Some companies do it by forcing „up or out“ after a trial period. EN doesn’t - you can stay on in Basic as long as you please.

So why are you complaining that support will not listen to you ? It is one of the services that consume real money for real people giving assistance, and (surprise) they offer it just for those customers who are paying. We paying bunch are not paying for support, we pay for a bundle of improvements of which support access is just one, and even not the most relevant.

If you are in urgent need for support, you can go Premium for just one month. This is a super bundle, because it opens additional features for you even for all the stuff you put into the account when you were on Basic. Examples: All of a sudden the note history is available (for example for recovery of unintentionally deleted data), for all notes, not only the new ones. OCR is there, for all notes, fully searchable. And support will listen during a full month - for not much more than a Cup of Starbucks brew.

So again: What are you complaining about ? You get what you have ordered, basic treat or all inclusive, but there is nothing as a free lunch in town. So set the Web client to classic, and go ahead.

Or move on, to where the grass is greener, the birds singing your song, whatever.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 9/2/2019 at 5:09 PM, liamfry said:

Ha! Cake, meet icing. (Or perhaps "wound, meet salt" would be more apropos.) As I noted in a recent comment, I'm already (apparently) using the "old interface." I took the suggestion and flipped versions to see if perhaps that might set me right. It didn't. It actually destroyed all my bullet list sub-indents for every ... single ... note ... ever ... created - and across all notebooks, to boot! I panicked and jumped back to the "old interface;" the now de-indented bullets persist. So, all my indentations are lost. ((sigh)) And the inter-line bullet spacing is still randomly inconsistent from bullet to bullet.

me too (losing indentations)... you'd think theis would fixed by now... 

i'm switching between using chrome on pc and the iphone app.

frustrating.  anyone find a different/better app.  i'd be willing to pay for this if they fixed the bugs!

On 9/2/2019 at 6:11 PM, PinkElephant said:

Now, maybe look at it from the EN side.

You are volunteering as a pro bono customer today, consuming resources, but not paying. The only reason to allow this type of customer today is to generate more paying customers tomorrow. Some companies do it by forcing „up or out“ after a trial period. EN doesn’t - you can stay on in Basic as long as you please.

So why are you complaining that support will not listen to you ? It is one of the services that consume real money for real people giving assistance, and (surprise) they offer it just for those customers who are paying. We paying bunch are not paying for support, we pay for a bundle of improvements of which support access is just one, and even not the most relevant.

If you are in urgent need for support, you can go Premium for just one month. This is a super bundle, because it opens additional features for you even for all the stuff you put into the account when you were on Basic. Examples: All of a sudden the note history is available (for example for recovery of unintentionally deleted data), for all notes, not only the new ones. OCR is there, for all notes, fully searchable. And support will listen during a full month - for not much more than a Cup of Starbucks brew.

So again: What are you complaining about ? You get what you have ordered, basic treat or all inclusive, but there is nothing as a free lunch in town. So set the Web client to classic, and go ahead.

Or move on, to where the grass is greener, the birds singing your song, whatever.

are you having indentation problems as a paying client?  if they fixed the issues, i'd upgrade to pay.