Different Shortcuts to "groups" (Feature inquiry/request)

I use Evernote for many things: food recipes, work, hobbies, invoices... well, I think many of us do :)

Recently I have been starting to utilize the "Shortcuts" feature to quickly access my most important/frequently needed Notes... well, I think many of us do :)

The way I would like to have my "Shortcuts" is to have sub-categories e.g. Shortcuts > Food to faster locate my shortcuts. I have a few thousand notes and 50+ Shortcuts currently...

Is there such feature currently and do others find that this could be useful as feature request?

//timo

• Level 5*

Hi.  It's possible to save a search as a shortcut,  so as long as your group has a common feature,  like tag:food or notebook:food you should be able to create a shortcut.  You can also drag individual notes and notebooks into the shortcut panel,  so if you create a Table of Contents note with a list of items,  you'd be able to drag that note into the shortcuts list.  In Windows,  if you right-click a notebook name,  you can create a 'style' and pick a colour which the shortcut will inherit to make it stand out.  It's also possible to include emojii.. 

Here are a few of mine.

ScreenClip.png.156e7a445f975a7817ab6b0b893bb906.png

• Like 2

Thx @gazumped - tried those as well. The saved search nor the tagging didn't work quite for me.

However, I actually figured following solution for me:

1. Created "Current Items" notebook
  2. In there created separate notes eg. "Working items", "Hobby items" etc.
  3. Each note (= category) then consists of titles which are actually Evernote internal links.

Ta-daa! I can even then have separate titles for those (compared to as the saved note-title in Evernote).

Suits perfect for now!

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
9 hours ago, tjsuominen said:
  • Created "Current Items" notebook
  • In there created separate notes eg. "Working items", "Hobby items" etc.
  • Each note (= category) then consists of titles which are actually Evernote internal links.

This is the Table of Contents note solution; a static list of notes
I prefer the tag solution - it produces a dynamic list of notes.

(there are solutions to produce dynamic ToC notes)

>>"Shortcuts" feature to quickly access my most important/frequently needed Notes ...50+ Shortcuts currently...

I like adding adding organization to the Shortcuts section
You can replace the 50 entries with your "Current Items" notebook, or theToC notes.  

You can even use a master ToC note which links to the other ToC notes

On a Mac, we have keyboard keys for shortcuts; Command+1 launches the first shortcut, my master dashboard-ToC note (edit; Windows Ctrl+1, thanks @jefito)

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, tjsuominen said:

The way I would like to have my "Shortcuts" is to have sub-categories e.g. Shortcuts > Food to faster locate my shortcuts. I have a few thousand notes and 50+ Shortcuts currently..

My opinion: if you have 50 shortcuts, then they're no longer shortcuts; they's JustOneMoreDoggoneThingTM to manage and navigate through (I subscribe to the 7 +/- 2 rules; any list of 10 or more items is a sign of trouble). The Table of Contents notes approach that you came up with is much better. Tags would be better, too, since they're first-class Evernote organizational objects.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

On a Mac, we have keyboard keys for shortcuts; Command + 1 launches the first shortcut, my master dashboard (ToC) note

The Windows application has a similar facility (which I didn't previously know about): Ctrl+1 --> Ctrl+9 launch shortcuts 1 through 9 respectively. Nice feature, particularly since shortcuts can be ordered arbitrarily via drag/drop.

• Like 1

Re-visited the tagging approach and my new way of working on "Shortcuts" is as follows:

• For "important/interesting but not now" I continue using the ToC approach
  • For "needs attention now" I took the #tag's into use (like the dynamic approach!)

Huuray to Evernote forumers! :)

//timo

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, jefito said:

The Windows application has a similar facility (which I didn't previously know about): Ctrl+1 --> Ctrl+9 launch shortcuts 1 through 9 respectively. Nice feature, particularly since shortcuts can be ordered arbitrarily via drag/drop.

Hmmm.  I use Ctrl+number to activate often used PhraseExpress saved searches.  I guess because I can see the first shortcuts in the shortcut bar and I use mouse/keyboard 50/50.  FWIW

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, CalS said:

I guess because I can see the first shortcuts in the shortcut bar

Some people keep their shortcuts in the left panel rather than the toolbar, and you can keep the shortcuts item closed in the left panel..It's nice to have options.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, jefito said:

Some people keep their shortcuts in the left panel rather than the toolbar, and you can keep the shortcuts item closed in the left panel..It's nice to have options.

👍  Hence my offering of an option.  :mellow:

EDIT:  Re this option: 16 shortcuts are visible in my shortcut bar, 5 in overflow.  The shortcuts appear in the same order on my iPhone.

• Like 1