Combined Text and Handwriting

Hi there, 

I'm a teacher and have a Class fully equipped with 2in1 Windows 10 convertible laptops. Pupils also have active pens to write on them. 

We are using OneNote 2016 because of the possibility to import a PDF to a site and just write on it or next to it with the pen. Also the offline/local file storage is forced by our laws. 

In Evernote for Windows I only found to choose either a handwritten note or a normal note. 

Is there a way to get this functionality or is there a chance Evernote will combine these two note types in future versions for windows? 

I would like to change to Evernote then. 

• Level 5*

Hi.  We're a mainly user-supported Forum

Evernote is currently working on updating and upgrading its editor,  though they haven't shared any details of their planned improvements.  At present mixed typed/ handwritten notes are not possible except by using third party applications or including images of handwritten sections in otherwise typed text.  If you open a dialogue direct with Evernote via Twitter at @EvernoteHelps or maybe chat with some of the others in Education here: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/244-education/ you may be able to get some suggestions... 

• Level 5

With the iOS app it is possible to annotate an imported pdf using apple pencil, and save it back again.

With the possibilities of the Windows mobile / convertibles I am not familiar. But I think that annotating a pdf with the pen should be possible there as well.

EN itself will not allow to mix text and handwriting into one single note. What can be done is making one note with the text and attachments, and a link to a second note, containing handwriting.

But to be honest this is one field where OneNote is probably better suited.

Thanks for your answers. Yes, OneNote is very suitable for that. My problem is the future... Microsoft changed OneNote to force saving on their cloud. The law at our country does not allow pupils to use such a storage. So I have to find a good alternative. 

• Level 5

If you really want to use EN, it will sync to servers as well. IMHO this should be no problem with some legal footwork.

I am using EN for myself and professionally as well. This could be an issue, because of all the personal and clients information I am saving. So I have closed a Data Processing Agreement with EN. This allows me to work with 3rd party data with EN under european data protection rules, and enforces the data protection declaration of EN somewhat.

If you want to keep it all away from servers, but have collaboration inside of your class, you will have to run your own server with a note taking solution. This would be for example Synology with Note Station, offering a chat plus office-like tools as well. But then, someone has to operate this server ...

And besides this, with Windows you have a „talking“ OS that is „calling home“ continuously. This is not necessarily bad, but practically not stoppable.

Yes your absolutely right. Windows seems to be accepted so far... With OneNote we use a QNAP server for local files storage at the moment. 

I operate this at the moment at myself. This server isn't accessible from the internet. Only if pupils are at school. Teachers can access these files over a VPN connection. Runs smoothly so far - and evernote has also the option to save local files as far as I know. 

• 11 months later...

I can create a new note with the handwriting option and then can edit via text or handwriting. This is great because this allows me to draw or scribe notes which is what it was intended to do. It seems however that unless you originally created the note with the handwriting option, you can never do that. How come you can for one but not the other? Like others, we have a bunch of existing notes that may not have originated as a handwriting option and there's no way to do so? 

Defeats the whole purpose of buying tablets or phones with pens if you can't even use it for existing notes. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, BamaBillyP said:

Defeats the whole purpose of buying tablets or phones with pens if you can't even use it for existing notes. 

Hi.  As you noted (pun not intended) - you can create new notes,  but not necessarily edit existing ones.  That's because the un-editable note has been saved in a format that the handwriting feature doesn't understand - like trying to open a spreadsheet with an music player.  It's also pretty much the way computers and file types work,  so there's not much to be done about it unfortunately.  :(

Actually looks like you can, thanks for this users post: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/127113-cant-edit-with-handwriting-using-samsung-s6-tablet/?tab=comments#comment-570251

Don't really think the analogy works here. A note is a note. The benefit of Evernote is being able to included a variety of items on a single note from attachments, text, images, etc...along with the various forms of input. 

• Level 5
2 hours ago, BamaBillyP said:

Actually looks like you can, thanks for this users post: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/127113-cant-edit-with-handwriting-using-samsung-s6-tablet/?tab=comments#comment-570251

Don't really think the analogy works here. A note is a note. The benefit of Evernote is being able to included a variety of items on a single note from attachments, text, images, etc...along with the various forms of input. 

Of course, that post of mine was in the Android forum. AFAIK, there's still no way to do this in the Windows program.