Manual order of notes within a notebook

• Level 5*

Hi.  Why?  It's possible to manage the order of notes by various sorts,  inserting dates or special characters into titles,  and (kinda) by using reminders which can be manually sorted.  Plus there's Evernote's search feature which will take you directly to the note or notes that you wish to consider.

• Level 5*
On 8/11/2019 at 4:30 AM, darren.donhardt@gmail.com said:

The ability to manually drag and drop the order of notes within a notebook

Drag and drop sequencing is currently only supported in the Shortcuts and Reminder sections

You didn't specify a user case for this; just Windows and Notebooks

Personally, I'm not a Windows user and have minimal notebooks.  My default sequence is descending updated date; alternatively subject date (prefixed to title)

• 1 month later...

Personally I accomplish this by manipulating the creation date of each note, then sort by created. 

Sort by title can do the same, but personally I prefer not to alter titles just for this (bad enough having to prefix tags, but I digress).

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, Don Dz said:

Sort by title can do the same, but personally I prefer not to alter titles just for this

Right, adjusting titles is problematic.  I can get things adjusted for one saved search, but this doesn't work in other searches.

My solution is ToC (Table of Contents) notes.  I'm also using work-arounds to make the ToC dynamic
I can then adjust the note sequence as required

38 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm also using work-arounds to make the ToC dynamic

I haven't found a satisfactory solution for dynamic ToC notes, so for now I am adding saved searches as note links inside ToC notes (per the recent discussion on that topic).

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, Don Dz said:

I haven't found a satisfactory solution for dynamic ToC notes, so for now I am adding saved searches as note links inside ToC notes (per the recent discussion on that topic).

For sure, saved searches are the best kind of TOC notes, no plumbing required.  I use TOC notes for static processes, like collecting the notes on some purchase decision or other.  Horses for courses.

48 minutes ago, CalS said:

For sure, saved searches are the best kind of TOC notes, no plumbing required.  I use TOC notes for static processes, like collecting the notes on some purchase decision or other.  Horses for courses.

I am using the hybrid approach because some of the notes in the ToC are static, some are dynamic.  That distinction also changes over time and context.

• Level 5*

I know there are reservations about additional cost and the security of dealing with third parties,  but I have a number of dynamic ToC notes via Filterize

Some are triggered by tags,  others by reminders.  My 'do it now' list* is populated with notes that:

have that tag
  have a reminder date of today
  are uncompleted notes with earlier reminder dates

My 'soon' list has notes with reminders that fall in the next 7 days,  plus a few with that specific tag

I have other lists triggered by words in titles or source emails,  and my Google mail forwards some mail directly to specific notebooks where I can curate them at leisure.  I (briefly) enjoyed 'inbox zero' a few weeks ago,  but life has me up to an average of 20 outstanding items needing attention.  It's a lot better than it used to be...

There's a lot more functionality in the app that I'm still not yet using - just being cautious!  😉

*EDIT:  Forgot to mention that I can lay out my notes under various headings and assign sorting as required...  presentation is quite professional!

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

I have a number of dynamic ToC notes via Filterize.  ... I can lay out my notes under various headings and assign sorting as required...  presentation is quite professional!

Another vote for Filterize and dynamic ToC notes

I do the same with scripting on my Mac.  The ToC is automatically rebuilt each morning, or rebuilt on demand

4 hours ago, gazumped said:

I know there are reservations about additional cost and the security of dealing with third parties,  but I have a number of dynamic ToC notes via Filterize

Filterize is actually a great source for borrowing script ideas.  😎

If I was buying it as a stand alone Windows program, rather than as a cloud service, then cost would not be an issue.

FWIW, the Filterize annual service fee is almost twice what I am currently paying for Evernote. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

My 'soon' list has notes with reminders that fall in the next 7 days,  plus a few with that specific tag

I have a next seven days saved search.  I guess the thing I like about search vs TOC is it is all in front of me.  Using side list view sorted by remindertime I can select a note in the list and see the note contents and don't have to cycle back to the TOC note for the next.  IAC, as always, whatever floats one's boat.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, CalS said:

Dynamic TOC, not sure how that works.

It's a pre-recorded search.  Instead of having to run the search on a daily basis,  you simply open the ToC note and your results are there immediately.  It's really lazy.  I love it....

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, CalS said:

Dynamic TOC, not sure how that works.

As @gazumped said; a pre-recorded saved search

The ToC contents are refreshed automatically
Filterize runs the search often (hourly?); my scripting runs each morning and on demand

The ToC note can contain multiple searches.  
So different sections in the note; my task note has sections for Important&Urgent, Important, Urgent, Dated, Not-Dated

On 9/19/2019 at 6:41 PM, Don Dz said:

how are you adding saved searches as note links? Or do mean that you are creating TOCs?  Because I've long wanted the ability to save a search in a note such that when I click on it the search begins, sort of like the current ability to save a link to a note, but to a search instead.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, lisec said:

how are you adding saved searches as note links? Or do mean that you are creating TOCs?  Because I've long wanted the ability to save a search in a note such that when I click on it the search begins, sort of like the current ability to save a link to a note, but to a search instead.

Try the below to create a link for the search.  Then drag the link into a note.  Double click from there.

Thanks Cals, I'll give that a go.  I used to use windows shortcuts for this sort of thing but hated that it always opened the results in its own window rather than within Evernote... but I see that I was missing this step:  Open note links from other applications in a new window" is unchecked

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, lisec said:

Thanks Cals, I'll give that a go.  I used to use windows shortcuts for this sort of thing but hated that it always opened the results in its own window rather than within Evernote... but I see that I was missing this step:  Open note links from other applications in a new window" is unchecked

You are welcome..  Let us know how it goes,  This process still opens a phantom tab in the browser but context ends up being the EN window with the search results.  Though I use the shortcuts bar or the saved searches drop down in the left panel for high use searches this is great to have in the back pocket for those less used searches.

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, lisec said:

and for when you have way too many searches like I do!

My overload searches are two per row in a 4 wide table, pairs of what and actual search term.  That note is titled Searchz and is in my shortcuts at the top.  I created a PhraseExpress hotkey such that if I am hovering over the cell with the search term and I hold Alt and press the right mouse button the search executes.  Almost as easy as double clicking but skips the browser window opening.  PE phrase below.  FWIW.

ScreenClip.png.b3c26ccfe1089248a5f10683a80dfb44.png

3 minutes ago, CalS said:

My overload searches are two per row in a 4 wide table, pairs of what and actual search term.  That note is titled Searchz and is in my shortcuts at the top.  I created a PhraseExpress hotkey such that if I am hovering over the cell with the search term and I hold Alt and press the right mouse button the search executes.  Almost as easy as double clicking but skips the browser window opening.  PE phrase below.  FWIW.

hmm. So is that in addition to creating the windows shortcut then pasting the link to that or is this some way of skipping the windows shortcut bit altogether?  

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, lisec said:

hmm. So is that in addition to creating the windows shortcut then pasting the link to that or is this some way of skipping the windows shortcut bit altogether?  

This is an alternative solution, none of the link stuff. 

Top of the table screen shot below.  Using the PhraseExpress phrase above I hover over one of the Search cells, hold the Alt key while pressing the right mouse button and the search is executed.  I prefer this to the link solution, but some folks like to double click so I mentioned that one.  Again these are searches I don't do that often and I have easy access via the shortcuts bar.

ScreenClip.thumb.png.e2b4ecfedaf68ebcfd1a77ebcb417ece.png

1 hour ago, CalS said:

I believe I understand what I am seeing.  What I don't get is how is the text selected only within a cell, which part of the code does that?

I wonder what is being emulated, maybe 3 mouse clicks to select a line, or sending the cursor to the beginning then Shift-End, or something like that.

I have a simple AH script which runs a search on selected text with a hotkey, but automating the text selection would be a plus.

Though I suspect a click on a link might be just a tad faster.

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

I believe I understand what I am seeing.  What I don't get is how is the text selected only within a cell, which part of the code does that?

I wonder what is being emulated, maybe 3 mouse clicks to select a line, or sending the cursor to the beginning then Shift-End, or something like that.

I have a simple AH script which runs a search on selected text with a hotkey, but automating the text selection would be a plus.

Though I suspect a click on a link might be just a tad faster.

The first bit, triple click in the cell below the hover.  

Depending upon one’s keyboard skills Alt + Right mouse isn’t that bad.  IAC execution can be faster when you don’t cycle through the browser, which is how the links work for me anyway.  YMMV. 

Archived