EN for Windows vers 6.19.8555.0 quickly crashes and can't open it again after crash

Hi all. I have Windows 10 Pro version 1803 and Evernote for Windows version 6.19.8555.0. Until a few days ago my Evernote for Windows was working fine. Now it keeps crashing and then I can't restart it. I have already uninstalled it and then re-installed it, and it didn't make a difference. After a reinstall it starts up once, but then soon crashes, and I need to uninstall it, and then re-install it, again.

I reviewed another thread in this forum and someone suggested downloading EN for WIndows from the EN site. But when I go to the EN site to download EN for Windows, they redirect to the Windows store. It doesn't seem like there's a way for me to download EN for Windows without getting it from the Windows store.

Has anyone else had trouble with this latest version for Windows -- version 6.19.8555.0?

Hi again. I posted this on Reddit's EN sub as well, and a kind soul sent me the link to the next version of EN for Windows, available from EN instead of from the Windows store. And it works like a charm, so the new version (6.20.2.8626) has solved my problem. Phew! I wonder why Microsoft doesn't have this latest version in the Windows store. Odd.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Glad you got this resolved.  Evernote.com is always the place to get the most up to date version from - Third Party stores like Microsoft and Apple want to 'vet' their software before they offer it to the public,  so it always takes a little longer.

Thanks! This time around I got the latest EN for Windows version from a kind person on Reddit. The URL had 'cdn' in it, which I hadn't seen before. In the future, where do I go on the EN site to get the latest versions of EN for Windows? And is there a way to get updates from EN when the latest version is available? With Android it's easy because I get an automatic update. But it seems that with EN for Windows, I have to proactively monitor the EN site to find out when the latest version gets released. Thanks in advance for any guidance you may have about these things. 😊

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Leah_73 said:

And is there a way to get updates from EN when the latest version is available? With Android it's easy because I get an automatic update. But it seems that with EN for Windows, I have to proactively monitor the EN site to find out when the latest version gets released.

To check for updates yourself: Help / Check for updates

To have Evernote check for you automatically: Tools / Options / General --> [ ] Automatically check for updates

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jefito said:

To check for updates yourself: Help / Check for updates

To have Evernote check for you automatically: Tools / Options / General --> [ ] Automatically check for updates

Just as a note to that... Sometimes EN will rollout with a smaller auto-update initially (for instance, targeting 5%) and then increase when few/no problems arise. The auto-check is subject to that limited rollout. When you manually check, the limited rollout is ignored. (So, yes. Sometimes EN won't tell you a new version exists - but if you manually check (magic!) a new version is there.)

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
26 minutes ago, dcon said:

Just as a note to that... Sometimes EN will rollout with a smaller auto-update initially (for instance, targeting 5%) and then increase when few/no problems arise. The auto-check is subject to that limited rollout. When you manually check, the limited rollout is ignored. (So, yes. Sometimes EN won't tell you a new version exists - but if you manually check (magic!) a new version is there.)

Good to know (though I'll probably forget)...

But this is a rare case -- sort of a cautious rollout, I guess -- wondering whether this is aimed at specific classes of accounts, or first-come-first-served on auto-update events, or just random, or something else? My curiosity aside, the general case still stands, though.

Thanks for the insight.

3 minutes ago, jefito said:

wondering whether this is aimed

Not sure the actual logic (that's on the server), but I think it's random based on the user id. (I know I implemented some A/B tests in the code that did things like account numbers ending in <specific digit>) Generally, you want random - but reproducible!

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, dcon said:

Not sure the actual logic (that's on the server), but I think it's random based on the user id. (I know I implemented some A/B tests in the code that did things like account numbers ending in <specific digit>) Generally, you want random - but reproducible!

Got it. I suppose you could also just do a hash of the account number using a random seed value (that's retained for reproducibility), which might make it easier to produce a specific percentage that's not evenly divisible by 10. But yeah I get the idea.