search function works no more

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

Hi,

Since I have upgraded my MacOs to 10.14.5-Mojave and just after Evernote to 7.11. The search function works no more. Most of the time there is no result. Sometimes there are some notes but not all. It seams that the title is never taken in account. Could somebody help me. Thanks in advance.

• Level 5*

I had a very similar issue after upgrading to Mojave and EN Mac 7.10.

After trying a number of things I had to do this:

1. Remove EN Mac 7.11 and ALL supporting files using AppDelete
    • NOTE:  If you have any Local Notebooks you want to keep, you MUST first export all of them to ENEX files.
  2. Download latest version from Evernote.com, and install
  3. After about 4 hours, I had to goto menu Help, holding down OPTION key, and then to Troubleshooting > Recreate Spotlight Search Index
    • image.png.129a7456663b432e08a3d3d59eb84fae.png
  4. Wait a day or two, and then everything was working fine.

If you prefer, you can first try just recreating both Search Indexes shown above.  I tried that, seemed to work at first, but then I was still missing some Notes.

All of your notes are most likely still there (in the EN Cloud), and maybe even on your Mac, but the faulty index is preventing the EN Mac app from showing them.

If you have a Premium account, I highly recommend that you file a support case (see link in my signature below).

• Like 2

Thanks a lot Michael,

I don't feel enough expert to apply the first solution but I will try the  second one. Unfortunately I'm not Premium. TO day I have updated Evernote with a new version (7.12), the search is still unoperational but the results are different. I keep you in touch. 

• Level 5
  • Solution

To be sure: Which search function do you mean ?

The internal search of EN should work fine. If not, see the post above. For me, just reindexing worked fine, without all the other thing needed for an extended repair.

Spotlight search of the Mac is not working well on EN notes under Mojave. It will only find text in the header of the notes. Not in the body, not in tags, not in attachments, even when OCRed. For this there is no solution, as far as I know.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I wanted to try to recreate the Search index as suggested by JMichaelTX. I don't know why, but I have no Troubleshooting in the dropdown menu Help (or equivalent as I'm on a french version of EN). However I have made a test. I have exported in .enex a notebook and then I have imported  it back (with synchronized option). The search seems to work fine in the newly imported notebook. I guess that the index as been done when importing the notebook and this part of the index is not corrupted. So, my strategy is to repeat this operation for all my notebooks (only 54) and delete all the old notebooks. This operation will require 2 months (elapsed) due to my 1G limit. I have a Plus subscription and as it exists no more I don't know if I may use the hotline. I keep you in touch.

On 8/7/2019 at 11:55 AM, PinkElephant said:

To be sure: Which search function do you mean ?

The internal search of EN should work fine. If not, see the post above. For me, just reindexing worked fine, without all the other thing needed for an extended repair.

Spotlight search of the Mac is not working well on EN notes under Mojave. It will only find text in the header of the notes. Not in the body, not in tags, not in attachments, even when OCRed. For this there is no solution, as far as I know.

Thanks for your Answer PinkElephant. It's not clear for me if I use Spotlight Search. I use the search field, the only one, inside the Evernote  pages, at the bottom on right. Could you tell me which reindexing I must choose. In the Troubleshooting item of the help there is a choice between search in texts and search in spotlight. It seems that is Spotlight who allows to find inside the documents. Before this issue my search worked fine both on text, titles ans inside the documents including the pdfs and the images (since 2014 when I subscribed with a Basic subscription at the beginning). Currently even  in tittles it doesn't work. Sometimes in the result, Evernote underline some words in documents that aren't the word I search. 

• Level 5

Spotlight is a Mac search, works for the whole system and has nothing to do with EN itself. You get it through the search field in the topmost menu/gadget-bar of your Mac, mostly to the right of your screen. This search is used as well by little helper apps like Alfred.

With Mojave, it is a known issue that the Mac-side search will only find word in the TITLES of EN notes; not in the note text, not in the attachments and no tags. Even if you rebuild the spotlight search index, this will not improve.

The internal search field of EN is available when the Program is open. It is top right inside of the program window.

There you search using the internal search index of the EN app itself. This index you can rebuild by holding option, opening Help and pick the first of the additional options.

Search can be a little bit off, when it depends on OCR. This is inside of pdf-documents, the yellow markers. Sometimes the OCR will think it identified a word, that in fact is something else. Can happen, especially when the font is weird, print is small or bad quality, or the scan is low resolution. This cuts both ways, it may find words that are not there, and it may not find words that are there. With good scans in typical font sizes, the OCR is reliable.

• Like 1

thanks pink elephant. SO, I will try to rebuild the index with the troubleshooting first option. I haven't made first because The item didn't appear but now I know how to do thanks to the member DTLow. I inform you of the result.

• Thanks 1
On 8/6/2019 at 9:32 PM, jrichert11 said:

I am having the same issue. Search function does not work for me on Mac app as well as on web. 

I have resolved the issue by rebuilding the search index. To do this just click on help, then "Troubleshooting", then "Recreate full text search index". If the troubleshooting item doesn't appear, hold the option key by clicking on the help menu (this information is on MACOS). The reindexing could take a long time. For more information look at all the answers I Have  had.