Evernote crashes and loses anything not yet saved

Hi, I'm on Evernote basic on my Samsung A3 phone (and on a mac). Evernote has been crashing too frequently recently, and loses everything that has not yet been saved in my notes - i.e. it crashes if I don't save notes myself frequently enough. With what frequency do we need to save Evernote notes??

It's just happened again now. The other morning it happened after I'd been writing for over an hour - I almost broke my phone in utter desperation and frustration! I use it like a diary so that I can write all the time. Sometimes I get into a flow and can write for a good while, forgetting to save my work - exactly the times when I need Evernote to do what I thought it was supposed to do. Maybe I'm expecting too much?

Does anyone else have this? And has Evernote been alerted to it, do you know? I couldn't find a way to alert them (I don't like their "approach"' to help) - I'd be pretty sad to leave Evernote as it's convenient and mostly works ok... when it doesn't lose all my work!

It's hard to remember to frequently save my work and writings when I'm in the flow...

Thanks in advance if you have any advice on this. 

• Level 5*

Hi.  Is it the Android or the MacOS version of Evernote that has been crashing?  You should be aware that phones are not good devices on which to make long notes - the vagaries of internet and network connection,  and the occasional app conflicts which tie up resources on the phone,  mean that sometimes interruptions occur.  Better to make long entries on something which saves locally to the phone,  rather than Evernote,  which is more focussed on saving versions of your work to the online server.  The document files generated by third-party software can still be attached to a note,  so that they are available anywhere;  but being initial created on the phone,  they are proof against any network issues that may arise.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2019 at 10:43 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Is it the Android or the MacOS version of Evernote that has been crashing?  You should be aware that phones are not good devices on which to make long notes - the vagaries of internet and network connection,  and the occasional app conflicts which tie up resources on the phone,  mean that sometimes interruptions occur.  Better to make long entries on something which saves locally to the phone,  rather than Evernote,  which is more focussed on saving versions of your work to the online server.  The document files generated by third-party software can still be attached to a note,  so that they are available anywhere;  but being initial created on the phone,  they are proof against any network issues that may arise.

Hi gazumped, Thanks so much for getting back to my query (and sorry for the delay in my response). You've given me food for though regarding what I use for my notes, and how I use Evernote. The version that crashes is on my Android phone - it's getting a big old now and it doesn't have much memory, so there are probably even more things getting in the way of a good service from Evernote. Do you know of anything else that I can use for note-taking that would save directly to my phone? (Although I may not have enough space on my phone to save anything else...) Going back to my trusty pen and paper might be necessary... ;) Thank you again.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
8 minutes ago, krra said:

anything else that I can use for note-taking that would save directly to my phone?

I tend to go to extremes - very short notes are saved in various ways - to Evernote's 'quick note' feature,  as "S Notes" (a Samsung Note OEM feature which allows handwriting),  or written down on old-fashioned RW paper and added to Evernote as a picture when it's done.  (Neatness not included.)

I do also make longer notes,  but they're saved as individual notes with 'themes' - titles or tags that make these part of a narrative that I'll merge together (and tidy up) later.

Where I need to write something substantial and want WP features,  I use Word - which saves to my SD card.  I'll dump the latest version of that document into Evernote,  but the latest version is usually on the phone.

Depending on your phone,  service provider and manufacturer,  there must be hundreds of possible apps - it's just a question of finding one that suits you.