Telephone Hyperlinks on iPhone

Evernote used to automatically create a telephone hyperlink for any phone number that I put into a note and opened it on my iPhone.  It appears to have stopped working?  Does anyone know how to get it working automatically again?

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Hi All,

Thank you for reaching out!

We are aware that this issue is occurring, and we are currently working to determine how best to address it.

I'll follow-up here one I have more information, but please let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime!

• Thanks 1

A contrary view: the link feature, which I believe is Apple code, not Evernotes, doesn't work very well. I would constantly have problems with text containing numbers, like blood pressure readings, being flagged as a phone number. And dates also were highlighted, which I personally see no use for. Part of the problem is that the highlight of a link is bright blue, so these kinds of errors really stand out (the same error shows up in Notes, but they use a more subtle dark underline). So I am glad this "feature" is no longer turned on.

Since we users disagree on this, hopefully when highlighted links return, it will be a user defined option.

• 1 month later...

I am used to using Evernote to capture a lot of details including phone numbers. 

The automatic hyperlinks to make phone calls was a great feature - this thread is almost 2 months old.

Any news about this? I don't think this is an iOS issue since the MacOS version also doesn't create links from phone numbers anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Shane. Last August 5, 2019 you said the staff was working to re-instate the missing Telephone Hyperlinks on the iPhone app. However, this has not been fixed. Will you please provide an update?  I'm a premium user and use the Evernote app everyday in the field and the telephone hyperlinks make my life so much easier. I really don't understand why you had them removed. I've seriously considered switching to another platform just to have this feature.  Thanks!

On 1/28/2020 at 10:59 AM, TXRANGER04 said:

Hi Shane. Last August 5, 2019 you said the staff was working to re-instate the missing Telephone Hyperlinks on the iPhone app. However, this has not been fixed. Will you please provide an update?  I'm a premium user and use the Evernote app everyday in the field and the telephone hyperlinks make my life so much easier. I really don't understand why you had them removed. I've seriously considered switching to another platform just to have this feature.  Thanks!

This is really disappointing. 
I constantly use Evernote to look up phone numbers. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

in the meantime two possible workarounds (I know it's cumbersome).

You just have to create a link (tel://phonenumber, e. g. tel://+49123456789) and then you're able to tap on it and make your phone call.

Problem: iOS App doesnt allow to create links, MacOS App doesnt allow to use tel:// as an URL 🙄

(1) copy & paste the link you have created before in another app who supports this (e. g. Textedit.app MacOS, mark your phone number and choose "add link")

(2) use Evernote Web Application, mark any text and just "add link"

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 3:23 AM, stocky2605 said:

Problem: iOS App doesnt allow to create links, MacOS App doesnt allow to use tel:// as an URL 🙄

I think that is because it isn't proper HTML. The correct method is: 

<a href="tel:123456789">Call me</a>

. Apple recognizes the proper way. Evernote does not. But I like your workaround! 

On 5/8/2020 at 11:54 AM, Davezilla said:

Agree that this would be nice but it does not solver the problem on MacOS.

As was mentioned, the MacOS app (v7.14) does not recognize the "tel" as a URL.

Notice that the OK button is unavailable in the screen capture.

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 12.00.23 PM.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 5/19/2020 at 3:49 PM, Marc Schneider said:

Unreasonable that this has not been addressed yet...

Evernote invites ideas and discussions here - it doesn't say they're accepted as a commitment. I'd imagine that they're mainly driven by the economies of activating this feature given that more than one OS and any number of device OEM tweaks might need to be considered...

This is not a new idea.
This discussion was regarding the removal of a feature that was around a long time. 
I was looking for a commitment to keep features or improve them or offer a better solution. 
That has not been the case here.
I don’t see an offered alternative that works for my iOS and macOS-centric work style. 
It’s a shame  

Since development at Evernote seems to be focused on the "new" version, I think it is doubtful that a fix like this is going to be made on the current app. There are more impactful problems - like notes being redrawn when you return to the app - that have more complaints than this that are also being ignored. If this is also a bug in the beta, then I would suggest complaining there.. and if it works the way you want in the beta, then use the beta when you can.

Believe me, I wish they were more active fixing things on the current iOS version, but they aren't. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, jimlee21 said:

I was excited to see the new iOS app release and was sure this phone hyperlink issue would be resolved.  Alas....

Possibly a good idea to raise that in the release thread - although I can't see that there is one yet...

• 4 months later...
  • Level 5

You can do this:

• Select the phone number in EN, click copy
  • Open the phone app, keyboard, and type a *
  • Click where the star shows. You get a little menu with „copy“ and „Paste“. Select paste, the star is replaced by the number, and you can dial.

Probably sending the number to the phone app is not that simple, because every app runs in a sandbox. So every interface needs coding.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5

This is how it works (the phone number is bogey):

Insert a number. When EN thinks it is a phone number, it is autoconverted into a link. Tap it.

The link shows below in the link section, marked as phone number by the „tel“ prefix. Tap it there. 

iOS opens a Box, asking whether you want to call that number. Click on call, and it calls.

C1AE1D77-3D3A-4E80-AD73-3A20CE597274.thumb.jpeg.bf958f8bfc91691971766d9c369b2a39.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2021 at 9:03 AM, PinkElephant said:

This is how it works (the phone number is bogey):

Insert a number. When EN thinks it is a phone number, it is autoconverted into a link. Tap it.

The link shows below in the link section, marked as phone number by the „tel“ prefix. Tap it there. 

iOS opens a Box, asking whether you want to call that number. Click on call, and it calls.

C1AE1D77-3D3A-4E80-AD73-3A20CE597274.thumb.jpeg.bf958f8bfc91691971766d9c369b2a39.jpeg

What you just described did nit work in prior versions. iOS or Evernote took it away and now it works again. (Sometimes 😊)