Evernote for Windows 6.20 GA

• Ex Employees
Today we released Windows 6.20 GA. It's available here!
New:
*Improved automated file splitting

Fixed:
*Links to Google Drive documents created in Evernote Windows 6.19 now work in Evernote Web 

*Attachments created through notes in a separate window now save properly

*Images copied from Chrome via "Copy image" paste as broken attachment

• Iriska pinned this topic
  • Level 5*

Did I have a senior moment recently?  I'm sure I got the idea that it was going to be possible to export the entire EXB file and have it automatically split into notebook files that save separately as ENEX files. 

I get from the 6.20 Beta and this GA that exporting a notebook can be to one file or to a number of smaller files,  but now I can't find any mention that exporting the whole database will do anything more than offer the same one big / many small file options.  The only other choices are with tags / without tags (why??) but no Notebook metadata is exported.

If anyone can offer a constructive comment on that (apart from the obvious 'Yup - you lost it again!') I'd be grateful...

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Did I have a senior moment recently?  I'm sure I got the idea that it was going to be possible to export the entire EXB file and have it automatically split into notebook files that save separately as ENEX files. 

I get from the 6.20 Beta and this GA that exporting a notebook can be to one file or to a number of smaller files,  but now I can't find any mention that exporting the whole database will do anything more than offer the same one big / many small file options.  The only other choices are with tags / without tags (why??) but no Notebook metadata is exported.

Nope, doesn't work that way, as far as I recall. Exports as one big file, whether you choose All Notes, a stack or a single notebook. Splitting takes place as needed, per the setting in options. That's why I use a PowerShell script (https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/53536-how-to-backing-up-evernote-using-powershell/Notebook has never been part of export, for some reason. Didn't know that you could export without tags; I'd never do that.

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

If anyone can offer a constructive comment on that (apart from the obvious 'Yup - you lost it again!') I'd be grateful...

Nothing much to say here, just this: 

😀

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, jefito said:

That's why I use a PowerShell script

Backupery was not effected by the changes, so still working well for my backups.  Nice tunes. 

It is great that we are getting all these updates, but the one frustrating thing with all the updates is that it is not making the syncing up with our data/devises are not going faster than previous versions.  Will you all work on this, please?  It affects everyone!

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, N. Lum said:

It is great that we are getting all these updates, but the one frustrating thing with all the updates is that it is not making the syncing up with our data/devises are not going faster than previous versions.  Will you all work on this, please?  It affects everyone!

I haven't noticed that syncing is particularly slow. Is this a problem syncing from the Evernote servers to your device? Is it slower now than it was previously? Specifics help...

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, akrde said:

What does "Improved automated file splitting" mean? Where can i find it in Evernote for Windows?

Automated file splitting on export of enex files making it easier to backup and import files, especially on file systems that do not support large files or systems with low memory.

Your 'control' is here - '0' (I think) means no splitting.

688109766_Clipboard1.jpg.1adea5fd1070e1b5b940312ce354f5f4.jpg

• Level 5*
On 8/4/2019 at 4:51 PM, TonyLim said:

Do you guys find that the display of Note (be it PDF, just table, etc) is much slower in 6.20 than previous version?

Seems the same to me.  This happened to me once some versions back now.  I did a File - Exit out of EN and restarted which fixed the problem.  Easy to try.  FWIW.

21 hours ago, CalS said:

Seems the same to me.  This happened to me once some versions back now.  I did a File - Exit out of EN and restarted  which fixed the problem.  Easy to try.  FWIW.

Unbelievable, this simple action did solve my problem!  Thanks. 

• Level 5*

My experience so far with this version:  it's a crasher.  I'm getting quite good at zapping the tray apps and filling in Fatal Error windows to reload.  The oddity is I don't even have to be using Evernote or stressing my system when Evernote will quietly fold up its window and fade away...

Last report today:

20190812 1314 Evernote crashed again...

I started my system and loaded Evernote.  It took an interminable time to appear,  then whited out several times as it struggled to sync some new notes added via email.
When it eventually was available I used it once to check out a Forum user's problem with audio notes - I created a 25sec clip of me snapping my fingers.
Played that clip back and closed the audio note.
A little while later Evernote's window closed down.
I killed three tray applications - the usual clipper and tray,  and an additional 'player' app that was still live.
Restarted Evernote to get the usual Fatal Error windows.
Evernote should restart properly as soon as I close this...

20190812 1323

Hmmn.  But this time it did not - I had a brief flash of the loading window and then it crashed again!
Here we are with the Fatal Error window...

EDIT:

20190812 1433

Still going on...  Evernote came back - slowly - then froze after a web clip,  then Windows flagged it as unresponsive and I shut it down again.  Had to kill the tray apps to restart / got another Fatal Error window / then Evernote bounced back in seconds and is suddenly super quick!!  <sigh>  Some days... 🤔

Having similar issues. 

Greyed / white out screen for no apparent reason. I have to close system tray files from Task Manager to get Evernote to come up again. 

The failure seems to be random. I haven't been able to pinpoint an action which is causing it. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

When it eventually was available I used it once to check out a Forum user's problem with audio notes - I created a 25sec clip of me snapping my fingers.
Played that clip back and closed the audio note.  A little while later Evernote's window closed down.

Apologies in your time of duress.       ScreenClip.png.8daab2547a14877dbc6bd640f675ab34.png

On the serious side, I am not seeing any crashes (I'm sure this will bring them down upon me).  From a use case basis, anything in particular you are doing or just did re the crashes?  Could try to replicate if something specific.  Maybe time to reboot in general to try and purge the gremlin?

There is new code to prevent closing a note in a window if for some reason saving is failing or taking a long time.  The window will close when it's done saving or other background asynchronous operations.  For notes with very large attachments or content, the window might stay open and "not respond" for a few seconds.  This is to prevent any data loss with background saving.  The window will close on its own when it's safe to do so.

There shouldn't be any performance difference since previous versions.  It's using the same version of the Chromium browser and text editor.  Recent versions have improved responsiveness of the PDF viewer because operations like the right-click context menu would pause the PDF load and rendering updates while the menu was displayed.  Windows is weird like that.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, CalS said:

anything in particular you are doing or just did re the crashes?

Nope - they happen just after start-up or late in the day,  when I'm juggling lots of apps or when there are only one or two - and never when I'm actually using Evernote.  I'm sure it's crashed a few times when I haven't noticed - the window should be there in the background waiting for me to note something down... and then suddenly I notice it's not...

This is a watched pot situation now - it probably won't crash for a week so I get lulled into a false sense of security...

Edit: ..and about rebooting - that happens most nights;  I don't often leave the system on - the laptop doesnt connect so well when it wakes up again.  (Rather like its user...  🥴)

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, rubikscube said:

What to do?

Have you tried right clicking in the note and selecting Save Attachments...?  Sometimes they can be saved and then put back into the note.  Not sure why this happens but it does from tme to time.

• Level 5*

Here we go again...

20190814 0018 Evernote just crashed.  It's been running in the background for about 12 hours without any issue.
I just added a new Notebook,  and realised it had gone into the general population rather than into a specific Stack.
Right-clicked the notebook to assign it to the correct stack and chose it.
There was a pause.
Then the notebook moved to the wrong stack
Then it went back into general pop. (No input from me)
Then Evernote disappeared - everything 1,2,3 in a few seconds.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Here we go again...

20190814 0018 Evernote just crashed.  It's been running in the background for about 12 hours without any issue.
I just added a new Notebook,  and realised it had gone into the general population rather than into a specific Stack.
Right-clicked the notebook to assign it to the correct stack and chose it.
There was a pause.
Then the notebook moved to the wrong stack
Then it went back into general pop. (No input from me)
Then Evernote disappeared - everything 1,2,3 in a few seconds.

Ouch.  Had there been time to sync the new notebook, if only the name.  EN sometimes does not play nice if you create and move something before whatever IDs have been applied from the mother ship.

15 hours ago, CalS said:

Have you tried right clicking in the note and selecting Save Attachments...?  Sometimes they can be saved and then put back into the note.  Not sure why this happens but it does from tme to time.

yeah I tried that as well. But only the images that can be seen are getting saved but not rests. 

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, CalS said:

Ouch.  Had there been time to sync the new notebook, if only the name.  EN sometimes does not play nice if you create and move something before whatever IDs have been applied from the mother ship.

Luckily everything survived - it was a notebook with a few notes I was relocating elsewhere.  Seems to me Evernote came back with that expression that cats use a lot - "I meant to do that..."

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  My saga continues...  Not something which started with this version,  but as an ongoing issue,  the Left panel is very sensitive to the screen position of the cursor.  So much so that being just past the boundary of the scroll bar still selects the item which is at that level.  I went to scroll a window today,  but wound up playing 'hunt the notebook' because I accidentally caught the left panel and not the scroll,  and swiped the notebook up a couple of levels and into another notebook,  where they made a new stack.  There was no "are you sure to move this notebook?",  just swish and it was gone.  Easily fixed (but annoying) if you notice,  but bad juju if you don't.  Or swipe into a local / non-local stack.

• Level 5*

Small reason I keep the left panel closed the majority of the time, got some bite marks in early days.  Plus I don't use it to navigate anyway.   Easy enough to click on one of the icons to see list of notebooks, tags, saved searches.  More real estate for the note and note list as well.  But I stray....

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

20190901 1745:  After a couple of weeks of routine running I just had another crash - reported as

That's different - I have several apps open and was clicking a link in a spreadsheet to open a browser page.  Evernote was open on one of my three screens.  As a new page opened in the browser,  Evernote closed its window and went away.  Clicked the icon which was still in the tray, expecting the usual "Evernote isn't ready" message which means I need to kill the remaining process and restart*,  but this time I immediately got this Fatal Error windows,  which presumably means that Evernote will restart when I hit 'Send'...**

* The app,  not the lappy
** Which it duly did.

22 hours ago, gazumped said:

but this time I immediately got this Fatal Error windows,  which presumably means that Evernote will restart when I hit 'Send'...

Actually, it restarted already :)

When it starts up, it looks for traces that it didn't close properly. If it finds them, it pops up that dialog. Then proceeds to open normally.

• 2 weeks later...

When will we get a version that eliminates "not responding" from happening every time I search for a note?

And, no, I have not rebuilt my database (whatever that means - I should not have to be a programmer to find notes in Evernote).

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Duane said:

When will we get a version that eliminates "not responding" from happening every time I search for a note?

Hi.  You're a subscriber,  so could ask Evernote Support that directly.  I'm stuck with occasional random crashes but searches work fine - Support can help you through any checks you need to make on your own system to verify what's going wrong...

• Iriska unpinned and locked this topic

Archived