hfeddema

Sorting table columns

I have some very long tables that I would like to sort alphabetically by the first column.  Is there any way to do this?

Evernote long table.jpg

• Like 1

Is there any way to do this?

Not In Evernote, no.

You could try copy/pasting the table into a spreadsheet, sorting there, and then pasting over the original on in your note.

• Like 1

I pasted the table into an Excel worksheet, and tried to sort it by the first column, but got this odd error message:

Evernote-Excel error.jpg

43 minutes ago, hfeddema said:

I pasted the table into an Excel worksheet, and tried to sort it by the first column, but got this odd error message:

I have no problem copying a simple table and sorting in a spreadsheet
Merged cells do cause a sorting problem

If you post an enex export of your note, we can test it further

• Thanks 1

I didn't merge any cells -- just created a new worksheet and pasted the Evernote table into it.  But I looked closely at the table, and I saw that there was an extra row between two rows of text, which starts at column 3, so apparently somehow it got merged when pasting the table.  I tried sorting again, but got the same message, so I looked again, and found several more rows with merged cells, and fixed them, and then finally I was able to sort.  It worked, except for two unsorted rows at the top (no, they didn't have spaces in front of the words).  I retyped the content of those rows at the bottom, and deleted the two unsorted rows at the top, and then finally I was able to get the whole table sorted.  I deleted the original Evernote table, and pasted in the sorted one, so now I have a sorted table.  This whole process is quite time-consuming, so I think that I will just insert a row at the right place when adding new rows in future.

It would be a lot easier if there was a native sort in Evernote.

I agree sorting in Evernote as a native option would be ideal. Not just in tables, but in bulleted lists as well. Would save me a lot of time.