Bug: can't add photos of documents in the iPhone app

Adding photos of documents to notes no longer works on the iPhone (it has worked for many years just fine).

When I add pictures of documents they don't appear in the contents of the note. But they appear in the listing. This is true for both evernote for iOS and evernote desktop for Mac. See attached screenshots.

Tested on iPhone 6 and iPhone 8 with newest Evernote installed: 8.22.370013.

Evernote for Mac version 7.11 (457846 Direct), Editor: 69.1.8237 (1f0aea9).

The bug applies to photos added in the auto (document) mode. I can still add regular photos (from the roll or new from camera) to the note and save just fine.

evernote_desktop.jpg

IMG_5033.jpg

IMG_5032.jpg

I don't think so. I still have a few MB, besides the picture does not appear in the note contents when it's added, even before saving the note on the phone. So it's should not have anything to do with uploading to the server.

I have had the same issue for a few months. It says "You have 10 GB of 10 GB available". Should be enough space. It works fine if I use my iPad (iPad Pro V2 large version), while not from my iPhone8.

I removed the Evernote app from the iPhone, downloaded it again, logged in and let it sync. Then I created a new note - and the same as gdog above: I can see a thumbnail in the overview, but when I open it, there are no photos. It is also supposed to OCR the picture: And when I search for text, it doesn't show those newer notes where the photos cannot be opened. So they are not scanned either.

• Level 5*
On 7/30/2019 at 7:56 PM, DITB said:

I have had the same issue for a few months.

Hi.  How big are the photos?  I find in Android that big pictures taken a few minutes earlier aren't immediately available on the device once the note has been saved for syncing - it looks like the device sensibly prioritises phoning home before showing me what I just created.  If you're saying that pictures don't save at all on the iPhone,  that's a different issue.  Maybe one of the iPhone users here can comment further.

• Level 5

No issue, and I am using less advanced I-devices. The only issue is that it may take some time until everything is safely uploaded and stored on the server.

But I do rarely put large (what is large ? 10MB ? 25 MB ? 50 MB ? ) pictures into notes, so maybe I miss a part of what is needed to jump off the syncing cliff. In the few occasions I did, it worked out fine, after allowing time for the sync. How long depends on the internet connection.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2019 at 4:26 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  How big are the photos?  I find in Android that big pictures taken a few minutes earlier aren't immediately available on the device once the note has been saved for syncing - it looks like the device sensibly prioritises phoning home before showing me what I just created.  If you're saying that pictures don't save at all on the iPhone,  that's a different issue.  Maybe one of the iPhone users here can comment further.

How big are they? I am using the camera function. Making a new note, adding a photo (it asks, from file or take a photo), and I take a photo of one or more forms that I need to keep track of.

It worked for ... at least a year I think, and suddenly I realise only the thumbnail is working. When I open the note - there is nothing. Even after weeks later, should be plenty of time for syncing.

I used my iPad - doing exactly the same - and all works fine.

Hence, I think there must be a bug in the current version of Evernote (maybe only some installs, or some iPhones?)

Using iPhone 8 and iPadPro2 (l12.9" or whatever, the larger one)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
29 minutes ago, DITB said:

Hence, I think there must be a bug in the current version of Evernote (maybe only some installs, or some iPhones?)

Have you submitted a support ticket   (user > support > submit support request)

You could also check at the activity log to see if there's an error message

• Level 5

Tested it both ways:

Open a new note in the EN app, tap on „plus“, choose take a photo, take it, tap on „safe“, go to the note, type a header, leave note.

The note is there, the picture is there, both as thumb and as full copy in the note. And it syncs within of a blink (on WiFi).

IPad Pro 10,5, iPhone 6S+, tested on both devices, checked on the same device and on the other. Everything as it should. 2x iOS 12.4, app 8.22.

Usually on i-devices, when it works on one of them, it will work on all of them. So your options seem to be:

- Complete uninstall and reinstall of the app

- Support ticket

• Like 1

Guys, did you get any reply from support? I'm not a premium user so can't submit a ticket. But checked today and the problem still exists.

Do you know another app that scans documents just as well as Evernote does?

• Level 5

Funny bug, that picks the users he wants to irritate.

Seems I did some good works in my former life that still helps my karma to keep the little beasts at bay ...

By the way, most of my scanning is done with ScannerPro. A little with OfficeLens, and with the internal scanner of the EN app (not Scannable).

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly the same issue with me. Evernote version 8.23 on IOS 12.4.

If I use the built-in take photo function to upload something, it fails to actually upload anywhere. It shows it's uploaded in the IOS app temporarily, and shows the thumbnail, but opening it again fails to load the image. I've checked for the image on 2 different installs local installs on windows devices, and the browser.

Taking the image and uploaded the photo manually seems to work as a workaround

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I am always up to date, I was just referencing that I had the issue even after the 8.23 update.

It was and still is an intermittent bug, I don’t know what triggered it.
I have done teste as well as so far no more but it was always the case that it happens once in a while.

• Level 5

Well, then we can exclude the updating as a reason.

Maybe the best solution would be to issue a support ticket on this when it happens next, and send the activity log with it. Then the guys at EN support may have a chance to see why this error occurs - whether it has to do with the type of picture, or any combination with other apps.

• 2 months later...

This issue is till happening for me.

I take a photo using evernote for my documents, it says it is saving.

Then I select save and sometimes it is in the note, sometimes it is not.

It does seem that If I take a while to save it it will save, but this is far from Ideal.

Is there any plans to fix this issue?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Byngmaster said:

Is there any plans to fix this issue?

Hi.  Not sure that this is an 'issue' still - have you tried syncing your app and uninstall / restart / reinstalling?  Do you have the option to take a standard picture with the device camera and add the picture to a note from the camera roll?

• Level 5

Just tried it (again) on my iPad: Open EN app, create new note, tap into the content area, +, pick camera, take picture.

The picture saves into the note, a duplicate is stored in the Camera roll. When I close the note, the note with the picture syncs, a thumbnail is created. When I open the note, the picture is there, can be exported to the camera roll as a copy, where it looks identical to the one that got itself saved before.

If there is a bug, it is a bit shy of elephants ...