Jump to content
Nick L.

Evernote 7.12 Beta 1

Recommended Posts

Hello folks, 

Evernote for Mac 7.12 beta 1 is out now and you can download it here.

New:

  • Security update

Fixed:

  • Fixed a crash that occurred when importing a previously exported web clip note

Please continue to send your feedback. Thanks for testing!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Where is a link to download a web clipper that will work with macOS Catalina and Safari 13? The old plugins for Safari don't work on the beta version of MacOS.

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, kahleeb said:

Where is a link to download a web clipper that will work with macOS Catalina and Safari 13? The old plugins for Safari don't work on the beta version of MacOS.

There's no public support by Evernote for these beta versions

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, kahleeb said:

Where is a link to download a web clipper that will work with macOS Catalina and Safari 13? The old plugins for Safari don't work on the beta version of MacOS.

When and if there is an update to the clipper it will be after the official release I'm guessing. I'm also running the macOS beta and miss my clipper, but it still works in Chrome if you can't wait for an update. Just so you have all the facts, it's not just Evernote that the beta broke the clipper. OneNote, Buffer, ProWriting Aid, et cetera all have to update their clippers to work with the new Safari build.

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

When and if there is an update to the clipper it will be after the official release I'm guessing. I'm also running the macOS beta and miss my clipper, but it still works in Chrome if you can't wait for an update. Just so you have all the facts, it's not just Evernote that the beta broke the clipper. OneNote, Buffer, ProWriting Aid, et cetera all have to update their clippers to work with the new Safari build.

The sad thing about this is this causes me to have to use Chrome (which I don't like to on MacOS and won't do normally) or I just don't use Evernote and cut it out of my life. Wouldn't a better option be for Evernote to do some sort of web clipping when pasting a URL into the actual program?  At last having that option available?

I understand this is not possible now but should be a feature they implement to avoid issues like this in the future, 

Share this post


Link to post

You are on a beta, following your own words.

A beta is just that, pieces of more or less stable, incomplete software pre-released so that the company can find out what works, and what does not work. If you are running beta software, I would expect that you know this and behave resp. comment accordingly.

So thank you for doing beta tests for yourself (and for the rest of us, I do not participate ...), but please stop telling what you are forced to use, and what you have to abandon because of disfunctions. It is practically impossible that all the pieces of software involved (here an OS, a browser, a clipper and a note program) during a beta are so synced to each other in their individual development that one should expect a working workflow. So you force yourself into it by going beta, and that is it.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You are on a beta, following your own words.

A beta is just that, pieces of more or less stable, incomplete software pre-released so that the company can find out what works, and what does not work. If you are running beta software, I would expect that you know this and behave resp. comment accordingly.

So thank you for doing beta tests for yourself (and for the rest of us, I do not participate ...), but please stop telling what you are forced to use, and what you have to abandon because of disfunctions. It is practically impossible that all the pieces of software involved (here an OS, a browser, a clipper and a note program) during a beta are so synced to each other in their individual development that one should expect a working workflow. So you force yourself into it by going beta, and that is it.

Wow, listen to you. Not sure if you realize this or not but Evernote is actively seeking the ENTIRE community to beta test for them. Betas are part of everyday life and platforms like windows have insider builds that are Beta releases and they are being used in a large way. 
 

I am not telling you how to use software but if Evernote wants to continue to exist as a platform, they shouldn’t discourage people from using a key feature of the platform by not allowing it to work. 
 

Mac users do not typically like to use alternate browsers because they sick more battery and don’t use all the features Apple provides users. 
 

My point in all of this was Evernote should find an alternate way to do web clipping by pasting a link into an Evernote Client and asking the user what they should do with it. 
 

If you don’t use beta software, you have no real feedback to provide here. I have no idea why you are even involved in this post. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, kahleeb said:

Evernote is actively seeking the ENTIRE community to beta test for them

You are confused as to which beta version is being tested.  This discussion has nothing to do with the OS beta versions.

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You are confused as to which beta version is being tested.  This discussion has nothing to do with the IOS beta versions.

I never stated what version Evernote was testing. I merely made the point that the new CEO made a video asking the community to sign up to beta test unreleased versions of Evernote. This was in response to the previous post. 
 

If beta testing is so bad, why would Evernote seek the community to sign up to beta test? The answer is we are actively beta testing almost all software because it is never finished and constantly being updated and changed. Call it a beta, an insider build, a preview build, etc. 
 

Also, we are speaking specifically about the Mac version of Evernote and its lack of ability to work with Safari 13 to webclip web pages. This functionality is one of the main reasons to use Evernote and should have an alternate way to do this as I made the suggestion in my posts above. 

Share this post


Link to post

Just reviewed the video to be sure. Key statements:

- Testing does involve an increasing number of participants, starting with just a few (hundreds) in the initial round.

- Public betas are in general open, but as well participants are advised that there still may be glitches. Nobody is advised to use a beta on critical workflows or data. Real support can not be given to these users.

- EN is working on a feature that would allow to install betas side by side with the actual version.

Why am I writing ? Because this forum is full of „feedback“ that is practically useless because it is based on betas (several ones at the same time, each one having a different, not reproducable release level): OS Catalina beta, browser Safari beta, web clipper beta, EN client beta, and probably more beta stuff installed.

The betas will be gone for good soon, but the Forum postings will still be there, mixing up with feedback on real bugs in the new software. It will be fun to sort this out, then.

Share this post


Link to post

There will always be betas of ios, Android, Windows, Mac, etc. they will never be gone. 
 

When using beta versions of Evernote, you can already install a beta version alongside a regular version. If one version isn’t working, try the other. If seeking support for a beta version, don’t expect a lot. 
 

However, there is a HUGE flaw EN has here: Webclipper is completely destroyed For an OS that is probably releasing in around a month. 
 

I am not seeking support but simply asked if there was a beta of a safari plugin. When I heard there wasn’t, I suggested they EN should build web clipping into the actual client so if the plugin breaks in the future, this primary feature of EN is not destroyed. 
 

I don’t see why this is such an issue. This is my entire point. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, kahleeb said:

we are speaking specifically about the Mac version of Evernote and its lack of ability to work with Safari 13 to webclip web pages. This functionality is one of the main reasons to use Evernote and should have an alternate way to do this as I made the suggestion in my posts above. 

Post your suggestion in the web clipper feedback forum at https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/256-web-clipper/

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/23/2019 at 12:33 AM, kahleeb said:

There will always be betas of ios, Android, Windows, Mac, etc. they will never be gone. 
 

When using beta versions of Evernote, you can already install a beta version alongside a regular version. If one version isn’t working, try the other. If seeking support for a beta version, don’t expect a lot. 
 

However, there is a HUGE flaw EN has here: Webclipperis completely destroyed For an OS that is probably releasing in around a month. 
 

I am not seeking support but simply asked if there was a beta of a safari plugin. When I heard there wasn’t, I suggested they EN should build web clipping into the actual client so if the plugin breaks in the future, this primary feature of EN is not destroyed. 
 

I don’t see why this is such an issue. This is my entire point. 

See this post from Evernote Staff

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...