Include meta data when exporting from Windows

TB100

Idea

It would be nice if there was a way to include the original webpage URL when exporting a note. Or, if it was edited, then the edited link. Maybe include it at the top of the note. The way it is now, I lose the information about where the note came from.

11 replies to this idea

The windows HTML export is missing the meta data that is included when exporting from the Mac.

This includes the source URL, author, date created, and more! 

372095013_ScreenShot2019-07-18at21_22_52.png.60e9ea3725c306c0c0d95932f93d3e38.png

Untitled.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, TB100 said:

That's the link to the note in Evernote. I was thinking of the link to the original webpage, the one where I saved the note from.

Maybe a bad example; I clipped the note from an Evernote site.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, TB100 said:

Maybe it's a Premium feature? I'm not seeing it. This screenshot is of the exported note that you see with the link in my previous reply. 

No, very unlikely it's a premium feature.

May very well be a difference between the Windows HTML export and that of the Mac application.

Edit: I verified that the Windows HTML exporter doesn't add the note's URL to the HTML's <header> section.

• Level 5*
On 7/18/2019 at 5:38 PM, TB100 said:

Maybe it's a Premium feature? I'm not seeing it. This screenshot is of the exported note that you see with the link in my previous reply. 

Was this export a single MHTML file, or a separate HTML file for each note

On 7/18/2019 at 6:47 PM, jefito said:

May very well be a difference between the Windows HTML export and that of the Mac application.

Edit: I verified that the Windows HTML exporter doesn't add the note's URL to the HTML's <header> section.

I agree, Mac/Windows exporter difference372095013_ScreenShot2019-07-18at21_22_52.png.60e9ea3725c306c0c0d95932f93d3e38.png
I also notice a serious lack of metadata in the Windows export file compared to the Mac export

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, DTLow said:

Was this export a single HTML file, or a separate file for each note

Single HTML file. Not sure that the <header> location would be the right place for multiple note exports; as each source URL should be associated with its note. But I'm not sure of the conventions for HTML for something like that, or the other metadata, for that matter.

Thanks for all the replies! Seems crazy that the Windows export should be so different. I'll create a new idea suggestion, specifically asking that the meta data be included in the Windows export.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, TB100 said:

The way it is now, I lose the information about where the note came from...

The windows HTML export is missing the meta data that is included when exporting from the Mac.

Just curious as to your method for accessing these meta variables in the html code?
2761822_ScreenShot2019-07-20at09_27_38.png.0f04592fdc855f4e6a6d67b994aca3b6.png

My soultion is to append the metadata to the note contents
(using a script on my Mac)

>>This includes the source URL, author, date created, and more! 

and the most important metadata; Tags
Notebook would be nice; we're also missing that on Mac exports