Sorting while changing titles

Ryq G

Idea

I frequently do "batch work," where I create notes and come back later to name and move them.  I may scroll through my inbox, changing all the unnamed notes.  Once I've renamed it, I move with the note to the new location.  If I name an unnamed note "george," I will be in the g's (if alpha sorted.).  I now have to scroll down to the unnamed.

Is there a way that I can save all that scrolling time?  If I move the document I also have to get back to the inbox?

I frequently will go through a notebook and move items in the wrong place.....it takes a while to find where I was.

Or, is there a better name when I want to scan a notebook moving many items or renaming  many?

13 replies to this idea

I'm sure I'm not the only one who scans or enters many notes and comes back to them later to edit the title and place them in the right notebook.  I will go through my inbox to relabel and move notes at least once a week. 

I typically am working down the list.

But once I rename the note, I have moved with the note to a new place.  I have to scroll back and find my place to continue with the next one.  Even worse is if I move the note, I'm not even in the same notebook.

Perhaps a toggle that could be used for editing a list of notes.  It could say, "continue with list" or "move with note."

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Ryq G said:

scroll through my inbox ... Is there a way that I can save all that scrolling time?

You're viewing your notes in alphabetic sequence.  I prefer update sequence - all my recent  notes are at the top

I use an Inbox notebook.  After processing (title, tags, ...) the note is moved to my Filing notebook; there are few notes in the Inbox notebook - aiming for zero

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Ryq G said:

I don't have that sort....I have create date, edit date, and alpha.  Each can be done two ways.   Am I looking in the wrong place?

A sordid error?

Update = edit date

Officially it's called "modification date" (applescript) or "updated" (search)1104087843_ScreenShot2019-07-17at12_39_22.png.f5d9b13a4efc18c6b944edb5d26d8cec.png

Screenshot is from my Mac

• Like 1

That is one option.  But if I want to see all the notes that are imported from scannable or unnamed notes, I want to use the alpha sort.  And what about if am moving documents.....I go with the note to the new notebook.

I suspect I am not the only one to save notes and come back to re-name them and move them later.  In fact, it's more efficient in general to repeat one step many times instead of going through the entire process, especially as one can select multiple notes and move them.

There may be other ways, but there are lots of extra keystrokes here, especially if you have many notebooks.

When one is moving notes, you end up in the new notebook.  You have to go back to the old notebook and scroll down to where you were in the list.

Having the option to stay in the "from" location, with the notes in the same order, and your cursor ready for the next note, can save 5-12 keystrokes (depending on how many notes in the from and how many notebooks/where the "to" is in the sort.  And one can use the move again command.

I'm not sure if I'm making myself clear.  Please let me  know if what I say is understandable/makes sense.

If I'm correct, how would I suggest this as a feature?  I don't want to suggest a feature if I'm overlooking how it can be done now, or if I'm the only one to save notes without naming them or putting them in the right notebook as I save them.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Ryq G said:

I suspect I am not the only one to save notes and come back to re-name them and move them later. 

This is also my process; collecting notes in an inbox, and processing as a batch (GTD steps)

>>When one is moving notes, you end up in the new notebook.  You have to go back to the old notebook and scroll down to where you were in the list.

I'm usually working in All Notes, update sequence on my Mac and iPad.190337159_ScreenShot2019-07-19at08_08_31.png.e82c47353630830b8a0f74e74bb93c43.png

Working in the Inbox notebook, changing a note's notebook assignment
- results in the note disappearing from the note list
- I don't "end up in the new notebook"

>>how would I suggest this as a feature? 

You're posting in the Technical Issues forum; post in the Feature Requests forum

• Level 5*

It really helps if you include which Evernote client(s) you are referring to.

On the Windows client, you can generally use the note history -- left/right arrows in the main toolbar, or more quickly, Ctrl+LeftArrow/Ctrl+RightArrow (like in a web browser) -- to move backwards and forwards between "places".

• Level 5*
On 7/17/2019 at 1:46 PM, Ryq G said:

I frequently do "batch work," where I create notes and come back later to name and move them.  I may scroll through my inbox, changing all the unnamed notes.  Once I've renamed it, I move with the note to the new location.  If I name an unnamed note "george," I will be in the g's (if alpha sorted.).  I now have to scroll down to the unnamed.

Is there a way that I can save all that scrolling time?  If I move the document I also have to get back to the inbox?

I frequently will go through a notebook and move items in the wrong place.....it takes a while to find where I was.

Or, is there a better name when I want to scan a notebook moving many items or renaming  many?

If the new notes aren't tagged, sort by tag to get the notes to the top of the list.  Double click a note to open it in its own window, do your editing and moving, close the window and hit home to get back to the top of the list.  Not elegant but quicker than scrolling.

On 7/23/2019 at 6:34 AM, CalS said:

If the new notes aren't tagged, sort by tag to get the notes to the top of the list.  Double click a note to open it in its own window, do your editing and moving, close the window and hit home to get back to the top of the list.  Not elegant but quicker than scrolling.

Creative workaround, but means I have to open each note twice, and I'm not sure that makes it simpler.  They will all be at the top, but I still have to keep track of which I've edited and which I havent't.  Oh, I'd have to pen the notes a third time to remove the tags.  I like the way your're thinking but this seems to  something Evernote may have to addfress.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Ryq G said:

Creative workaround, but means I have to open each note twice, and I'm not sure that makes it simpler.  They will all be at the top, but I still have to keep track of which I've edited and which I havent't.  Oh, I'd have to pen the notes a third time to remove the tags.  I like the way your're thinking but this seems to  something Evernote may have to addfress.

If your context is notes without tags -tag:* in All Notes or a specific Stack or Notebook and you have Search when note is updated checked in Tools - Options - Search then when you close the note in its own window it will disappear from the list.  Not sure what the third time is about?

The corollary to this for when you have a lot of notes to edit that already have tags is to add a tag to all the notes (I use !Fix when the need arises) search by tag:!Fix, and then remove the !Fix tag before I closing the note.