Jump to content
sunaz5540

Evernote does not show the email head

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, TheGooch said:

I'm having the same issue with multiple email clients. I use gmail Web, Apple Mail, and Airmail . What I do it click on "forward" and put my Evernote forwarding address in the "To" field. Then I send it.  

The note has the subject and body of the forwarded email , but I cannot see the original From/To information.

We know Evernote does nothing with mail from/to headers
Your email software insert the "original From/To information" into the body of the forwarded email.  I posted a sample above, forwarded using Apple Mail

Share this post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, TheGooch said:

I'm having the same issue with multiple email clients. I use gmail Web, Apple Mail, and Airmail . What I do it click on "forward" and put my Evernote forwarding address in the "To" field. Then I send it.  

The note has the subject and body of the forwarded email , but I cannot see the original From/To information.

I have the no mail header issue with bcc or auto forward of emails to EN (via Gmail).  But not with straight up forward, that works fine.  Agree, preserving email header with bcc would be great.  In the meantime I end up forwarding from the sent folder, as most everyone else I suppose.  :(  

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, TheGooch said:

Make that 5 years later. Sigh ...

It's probably on a list somewhere.  If only there were a votable feature request so we could gauge how much support there was for this tweak. 

Meantime to make an email look like a forwarded email with full headers,  BCC it to your own (or a secondary) email address and set up a rule that emails received 'from' your main email address are auto-forwarded in their turn to Evernote.

There's also the new Gmail add-in which I haven't really had the chance to look into yet...

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, gazumped said:

It's probably on a list somewhere.  If only there were a votable feature request so we could gauge how much support there was for this tweak. 

Meantime to make an email look like a forwarded email with full headers,  BCC it to your own (or a secondary) email address and set up a rule that emails received 'from' your main email address are auto-forwarded in their turn to Evernote.

There's also the new Gmail add-in which I haven't really had the chance to look into yet...

Don't know email clients well enough, doesn't stop me from wondering if the email client "flushes" the header data when sending to the cc or bcc address.  That, and anytime I have tried to forward via another account to EN it doesn't help.  I don't get the header info.  Could be just me.  Anyhoo, I'm used to forwarding the occasional email from the sent folder to EN.

Share this post


Link to post

The first idea  I thought of was trying  out the  Evernote mail clipper within Microsoft Outlook 

(I am sure it was still there recently but now it's gone. Maybe not yet compatible with Office 2019)

Anybody still with Office 2016 or before could try clipping the original mail message. It might just be the answer for some. 

Share this post


Link to post

FWIW -- I found a setting in my email app (Airmail) to "include headers" whenever forwarding. So, I send the email, then for the ones I care about, I forward them from my SENT folder. It's an extra step, but it's very complete. The forwarded email has all the info I need.

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe it could attach the original headers (or even the full source!) to the note as a text object? That way they'd be preserved, and searchable. I like the idea of being able to forward something by email to EN without having to save the original in my email system in case EN mangles it when turning it into a note.

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, John in Michigan USA said:

Maybe it could attach the original headers (or even the full source!) to the note as a text object? That way they'd be preserved, and searchable. I like the idea of being able to forward something by email to EN without having to save the original in my email system in case EN mangles it when turning it into a note.

Feel free to post a feature request or add your vote to the request posted below

I save the .eml file, and a pdf

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Hello,
when I send an email to Evernote, the "head" is not displayed. So I see in Evernote neither the other recipients of the email nor the date of transmission.

How can I show this?

Thank you!

Jens

Share this post


Link to post

Hi.  Send a copy of the email to another address to which you have access.  If you have two email addresses,  set up a 'rule' on the receiving address to automatically forward your email to Evernote.  Forwarded emails (as opposed to CC or BCC copies) do show more information

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, der_jens said:

when I send an email to Evernote, the "head" is not displayed. So I see in Evernote neither the other recipients of the email nor the date of transmission.

Confirmed, Evernote only stores the email contents.
This is an email-forwarding feature.  Make sure your email client includes the "head" data in the forwarded message - most do

>>How can I show this?

You don't want to have email sent directly to your Evernote address.  As per @gazumped, use an imtermediate account

Share this post


Link to post

Another option will depend on what your email client is.  Outlook has a plug in that preserves the header.  There is also a plug in for Gmail, that I haven't used, but maybe it saves the header as well.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, der_jens said:

How can I show this?

I forward a copy to EN of the sent mail.  A bit of a pain but keeps the header information.  I have a couple PhraseExpress hotkeys to clean up the forwarded email and in some cases add notebook and tags.  FWIW.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/16/2019 at 10:21 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Send a copy of the email to another address to which you have access.  If you have two email addresses,  set up a 'rule' on the receiving address to automatically forward your email to Evernote.  Forwarded emails (as opposed to CC or BCC copies) do show more information

I have tried this with 2 distinct email addresses (gmail & yahoo) and both do not show the header. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance for the support.

 

On 7/16/2019 at 12:56 PM, s2sailor said:

Another option will depend on what your email client is.  Outlook has a plug in that preserves the header.  There is also a plug in for Gmail, that I haven't used, but maybe it saves the header as well.

Would you happen to know the name of the plug in? Thanks,

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the prompt reply... That’s exactly the issue, I set up a forwrding rule on both accounts but the result is not as expected, the email is forwarded but the header does not show... 

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, mgomez said:

I set up a forwrding rule on both accounts but the result is not as expected, the email is forwarded but the header does not show... 

I confirmed your results with gmail
The original header is not inserted into the body of the email
The process is a redirect instead of forward; I have both options on my Mac1130159378_ScreenShot2019-07-26at05_52_35.png.ab280cb5adbb562c6b37d811a7a8f9fc.png

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/16/2019 at 4:42 AM, der_jens said:

Hello,
when I send an email to Evernote, the "head" is not displayed. So I see in Evernote neither the other recipients of the email nor the date of transmission.

How can I show this?

Thank you!

Jens

Below, please find a picture of the top of the forwarded e-mail that I sent to Evernote by using its add-on for Gmail on the web. I am not sure if that is what you are looking for, but I hope it can be of some help to you.

image.png.5a8564d485f3031d574a4dfc1c56ec89.png

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, mgomez said:

Would you happen to know the name of the plug in? Thanks,

I found it in Outlook under Options - Add-ins.  The name is Evernote Clipper for Microsoft Outlook.

Share this post


Link to post

If you have the installed 'Office' version of Outlook,  I believe the clipper is installed as part of installing Evernote desktop.  It's not a separate app.  If you have the online version,  I think these help pages apply...

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks everybody for the support. I do have the Evernote Clipper add-in but using it is somewhat of a hassle: You have to go to "sent items" and "clip the message." I thought the automatic forwarding would resolve that issue as long as the header was preserved... I have been testing the automatic forwarding feature in 2 email accounts and could not make it show the header yet... 

Share this post


Link to post

I've moved this discussion to the General forum and merged with similar discussions

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...