Evernote does not show the email head

Hi, 

I'm emailing to Evernote from Windows 7 and XP, iPad, iPhone. The notes in Evernote do not contain the Header info from the email - To, CC, BCC, Subject, Date. I really need those fields for use in my profession.

How do I get the email headers to show up?

Thank you for your help!

• 1 month later...

When I send an email into Evernote I get the subject of the email in the subject of the note and I get the body of the email in the body of the note. Where does the header go? I know this might sound silly but I use the header to see the email address of the people I'm talking to. If I need to email them back I normally go back to the email to get their address.

Yes the emails that I have forward to Evernote have the header in the body of the note. The issue with the rule is that every email will be sent to Evernote or I have to make up a ton of rules. Now I just put the evernote email address in the bcc when the email is important. The company I work for also uses Zimbra as the email client and it's not really the most functional thing in the world :(

Garnold-

When you forward the note are you using the following method in the subject line?

Title of Email or Note !tomorrow @Email #tag1 #tag2

• Title of Email or Note subject: What your note will be called
  • !tomorrow: Sets a reminder for tomorrow.  Ignore this if it is not needed.
  • @Email: The name of the notebook you wish to associate your email with.
  • #tag1 and #tag2:  Any tags you wish to associate with your note.
    • If you do use the !, @, # sybols, they must be in that order.
    • You can always ignore the !, @ and #  symbols and the note will go directly to your default notebook with the Title being your email subject line.

What are you referring to as the Header?  The subject line of your email dictates what the note name is.  The body of your email dictates what the note content is.

I realize I'm being a bit redundant.  I'm trying to define the issue a bit better to help you solve it.

I'm not putting any evernote information into the subject. Let me give you
an example of an email. Customer sends me an email asking for pricing. I
reply to that email with the pricing in the the email and add my evernote
email address into the bcc line so it gets logged into evernote. I don't
want to put evernote information into the email subject because the
customer is not going to understand what it's all about. This is also the
case when I'm the first person sending out an email to a customer that I
want logged into evernote. Again, I cannot put evernote information into
the subject line because the customer won't understand what I'm doing and
it just don't look correct. Does this make sense? Hope I explained it
correctly for you. Thank you for responding to my question :)

Thanks Garnold.  

In your example a typical email note would be the following:

Subject:  RE: Widget Pricing

Dear Jon Doe-

Thank you for asking about pricing.  I have provided what you asked for below.

1) Widge A: $10.00 per unit.

2) Widget B: $5.00 per unit.

Thank you Mr. Doe,

Garnold

In this example your note title is "RE: Widget Pricing" and the email body is the note content.

Now for the headers.  I'm assuming you want the customers email address etc?  like the following example.

Subject:  RE: Widget Pricing

Date: Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Subject: RE: Widget Pricing
To: Customer@buymystuff.com

Dear Jon Doe-

Thank you for asking about pricing.  I have provided what you asked for below.

1) Widge A: $10.00 per unit.

2) Widget B: $5.00 per unit.

Thank you Mr. Doe,

Garnold

Is the above example containing the header information what you would like to see?

Exactly. This way I can look back at the emails and copy the person's address into a new email if I have to get back to them. OK in a wonderful world I would have this person's information all nicely logged into a system and I could just go back, look them up and get what I need but I'm just not that organized plus a lot of time I just need to see who I "responded all" too so I can understand who I sent the email too. Your example is what I'm looking to do. Also as gazumped mentioned, the forward does this correctly but I need this to work from the original email and would rather not have to constantly look into my sent folder to push emails into evernote.

If you use the forward option here are the Pros and Cons:

Pros

• The header automatically shows up in your email body.
  • Each person associated with that email has their email address listed in the header.  
  • The date of the LAST email sent is associated with the email message.

Cons

• You have to remove the FW: and add RE: in the subject line Manually
  • If a customer(s) sends a message on Monday and you respond by forwarding the message on Wednesday, the header date will be from Monday not Wednesday.
  • You would need to copy and paste each person listed in the header to the TO: and CC:  fields.
  • If you have to add another person to the email, that was not on the message you are forwarding, it will not show up in the header.

Unfortunately, forwarding a message only gives you header information about who was originally on the email and the original date it was sent.

I'm not really sure I have a better work around for you.  In order to get current and correct information each time you send an email, the EN server would need to capture and display header information.   I don't represent EN; however, I am not aware of this being an option.  If you are premium member you can always open up a support ticket and inquire. if you do, please share.  It's a pretty cool idea.

Depending on your email client, it "might" be possible to script a client side rule that automatically puts the current date and who the email is being sent to in the email message body.  To be honest, I'm not even sure how to go about doing something like that but it's the only workaround besides forwarding a message that I can think of.

I've thought about this quite a lot this weekend. Maybe we are over complicating the solution.

What email client do you use?

All you really want to do is capture email addresses and the content of the message, correct?

In outlook when you "reply to" a message or "reply all" to a message, it captures who the email was from and who the email was to, including CC fields.

If you add new emails in the cc: or message field, it would not capture the added recipients information.

I'm not familiar with Zimbra email.  You may want to inquire on their website or support number regarding capturing email headers in a reply.  I actually did a lot of searching this weekend to find any sort of workaround, for any client, and had no luck.  Headers where hidden to remove exactly the type of information you want to capture, among other reasons.  It's a bit of a catch 22.

You can always copy and paste your clients emails at the bottom of your response.  You could update your signature to look like this so it's not as obvious.

Thank you,

Garnold

Working Guru and Awesome Person

Thinking Bright Group

Garnold@mymailserver.org

(555) 555-555

email recipients:

After "email recipients" you can then copy and paste each persons email.  It's not perfect.  It should only add 10 seconds or so to each email and you now have a system that meets your needs.  Hopefully Zimbra can help you further.

• 6 months later...

I push a ton of customer emails into EN by BCCing my EN address.  However this method leaves out all of the header info (To, From , Date/Time sent etc.)

Having that information included in the note if very helpful... enough that I usually now take the step of sending the email normally, then going into my Sent folder and forwarding a copy to EN from there (the email program will put the original header info in the body of the email).

Wondering if this is just me, or if others would find it helpful to have option of header information at top notes created by emailing into your account ?

• Like 4
  • Level 5*

Emailing direct will do that - clipping from Outlook or Gmail keeps that detail intact.  Forwarding to your email address also does the trick.  Not sure whether I'd want that extra information on direct emails - if you send a draft note that way,  the extra detail is superfluous.  Maybe have an option to include / exclude it?

Hi gazumped - for incoming mail, yes, forwarding or clipping will do the trick...  Incoming email will end up as a note in EN with header info intact.

When I send emails to cusomers, it would be great to simply BCC my EN address and be done with it... but I find it helpful to have the time/date the email was sent in the note so I go through the step of forwarding the Outgoing email from my Sent box. 

Sorry, not sure what this means  "if you send a draft note that way,  the extra detail is superfluous".....  Draft note ?  

Cheers - thanks as always for your perspective.   CB

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

I just meant that sometimes when I don't have easy access to Evernote (or I'm too lazy) I'll send myself a reminder or start off a longer piece of text to my Evernote email address.  It might be a recipe,  directions to a meeting or a few lines of text that will start me off when I sit down to write the thing properly.  I just bang that into an email and complete the notes later.  

:)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I push a ton of customer emails into EN by BCCing my EN address.  However this method leaves out all of the header info (To, From , Date/Time sent etc.)

Having that information included in the note if very helpful... enough that I usually now take the step of sending the email normally, then going into my Sent folder and forwarding a copy to EN from there (the email program will put the original header info in the body of the email).

Wondering if this is just me, or if others would find it helpful to have option of header information at top notes created by emailing into your account ?

I agree, having an option in Evernote client to capture the email header info would be very helpful.

I often use this same workflow of BCCing an email to my Evernote account.  It is essential to capture the email header in this case.

• Like 2

I just meant that sometimes when I don't have easy access to Evernote (or I'm too lazy) I'll send myself a reminder or start off a longer piece of text to my Evernote email address.  It might be a recipe,  directions to a meeting or a few lines of text that will start me off when I sit down to write the thing properly.  I just bang that into an email and complete the notes later.  

:)

Got it -   agreed !   Thanks CB

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I would love to see this feature. I have the below macro running in Outlook so that *all* my sent emails are BCC'd to my evernote email account. I simply delete the new email notes that aren't important, curating them about 4 times a day. It may seem like a waste of time, but it means I never have to remember to either forward important emails after I've sent them or go and copy-paste them into a new note. I prefer it that way - the fewer things I have to remember to do the better.

It's okay, because I can see *when* I sent the email from the date the note was created, but as mentioned above there is no indication of *who* I sent it to, other than 'Dear Bob'...

This is the macro script, from here http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft/how-to-automatically-bcc-in-outlook-2010

Private Sub Application_ItemSend(ByVal Item As Object, Cancel As Boolean)
Dim objRecip As Recipient
Dim strMsg As String
Dim res As Integer
Dim strBcc As String
On Error Resume Next

' #### USER OPTIONS ####
' address for Bcc -- must be SMTP address or resolvable
' to a name in the address book
strBcc = "myevernoteemailaddress@m.evernote.com"

Set objRecip = Item.Recipients.Add(strBcc)
objRecip.Type = olBCC
If Not objRecip.Resolve Then
strMsg = "Could not resolve the Bcc recipient. " & _
"Do you want still to send the message?"
res = MsgBox(strMsg, vbYesNo + vbDefaultButton1, _
"Could Not Resolve Bcc Recipient")
If res = vbNo Then
Cancel = True
End If
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I sometimes forward an email to my evernote account to create a Note but I also sometimes find it more efficient to bcc an email to my evernote.

However, if I bcc I end up having an email created Note in Evernote that does not have any headers and really on a glance does not even look like an email.

Is there a simple way to make a bcc email created Note look like a forwarded email with headers?

Thank you for any tips.

• Like 1

Your first sentence is a little confusing to me, but I will try to answer your last question.

Whenever you send an email into Evernote, it creates a Note with a Title that is the title of the email.  You can edit the title of the email with whatever you want.  That could be one Header.

You can also type another Header or whatever else you want, at the top of the email.

Is this what you are asking for?

I probably confused everyone. Sorry.

And to answer your question: No.

I'll try again....

If I forward an email, it arrives as an Evernote Note just like it would if it was in my email client. Subject is: Fwd: xxxxxx and in the body of the Note is the forwarded email complete with when forwarded and then in quotes the full email with its header on top. Identical to what I'd see in my email client.

It would be nice to have the Note be without the quotes but it is OK for my purposes. It works well enough as the base for a Note in Evernote that I'm creating.

However, if I bcc an email. I again get as a Note what I would as an email in my email client.... The subject and the body of the email. But I'd like more. I would like to have the header so I would know to whom and when the email is sent. That is missing since the headers of incoming emails to Evernote are not included.

My workaround today is to send an email, not bcc and then forwarded that sent email to Evernote. That is OK but not very efficient and the extra step is one more opportunity for me to forget to send that email to Evernote. ;)

I hope this is clearer.

Thanks for any ideas or a better workaround or just confirmation that what I'm doing is the only option.

Thank you.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*

I'd think IFTTT might be able to help with this,  or as @SebR suggests a rule within your mail could help.  To take it one stage further you can set up 'sub' emails in some web clients like Gmail,  so could maybe create something like a norm3.archive@gmail address which would allow you to openly CC a copy email and then use Gmail rules to forward that to your Evernote address.  Maybe.

• Like 1

+1

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I regularly email clients/contacts and bcc Evernote, using @xxxx after the subject to auto-file the email in the right place. However, the only snag is that when I view the note, the details of who I sent it to appear to be lost. Of course I usually know who I sent it to by the name at the top of the email, but couldn't for example retrieve their email address in the future, or even see who I cc'd on the message.

Is this information hidden in the note somewhere? It would be the final piece in a perfect (for me anyway) email filing system.

Thanks,

Ian.

• Level 5*

If you email directly to Evernote or use the CC/BCC fields,  you get the body of the email but (AFAIK) no details from the header.  Forwarding an email however will get you the whole content.  Try setting up a mail rule which forwards selected emails to your Evernote address. 

Forwarding I had figured out (sorry, should have mentioned that!), I was just hoping to make it more seamless somehow. If the info isn't in there somewhere, perhaps I will have to investigate using rules.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

I have this same frustration. I'd like to be able to bcc to my Evernote (for example contracts, key comminiques that need to be documented) and for the note that shows up in Evernote to have the "to" "from" "sent" (time & date) info attached to that note. Without that, you effectively have to send two different emails. The first to the intended recipient, then the next one a forward of that sent email to Evernote.

This is more about documentation for me.

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

I have this same frustration. I'd like to be able to bcc to my Evernote (for example contracts, key comminiques that need to be documented) and for the note that shows up in Evernote to have the "to" "from" "sent" (time & date) info attached to that note. Without that, you effectively have to send two different emails. The first to the intended recipient, then the next one a forward of that sent email to Evernote.

This is more about documentation for me.

We would definetly like to have this as an option.  Would be very very helpful to us.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

We are using emails in notes that pertain to orders.  Having all the info, from, to, date etc. would be very very helpful to us!

Hope this can be made into at the very least a choice.

Rick

I do the same thing, and have the same requirement, except my needs go far beyond orders.

I often send emails to clients, vendors, colleagues, etc. that I want to store in Evernote.

I have tried exhaustively to find a workaround for the Mac, where I use Outlook 2011.

I have been unable to create/find any rule or macro that will do this in Outlook 2011.

Having this feature would be very helpful.

Evernote developers:  Please give us this feature/option on all platforms.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I'm pretty sure that I did something like this using the Zapier service, a couple of years ago. The trigger was an incoming email to my GMail account from a certain company (you could use any search filter, I believe), and the action was to create a new note in Evernote.. I was able to add header information by specifying GMail fields in the Content area

• Level 5*

We are using emails in notes that pertain to orders.  Having all the info, from, to, date etc. would be very very helpful to us!

Hope this can be made into at the very least a choice.

Rick

Please see my answer to your other post on this topic.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that I did something like this using the Zapier service, a couple of years ago. The trigger was an incoming email to my GMail account from a certain company (you could use any search filter, I believe), and the action was to create a new note in Evernote.. I was able to add header information by specifying GMail fields in the Content area

I just figured a complex work around.

By testing for my notebook @Tidd Orders - in outllook, I then forwarded it to my evernote email address.  By using the forward it put in the headers.  Not as nice as doing it directly but it does work.

Have a GREAT day!

Rick

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

By testing for my notebook @Tidd Orders - in outllook, I then forwarded it to my evernote email address.  By using the forward it put in the headers.  Not as nice as doing it directly but it does work.

Have a GREAT day!

Rick

That works great for INBOUND email, but not for outbound email where you BCC your Evernote account.

As the OP requested, we need an option for Evernote to put the email header info (To, From, cc, bcc, date sent) in the body of the Evernote Note.

If have tried many other solutions, including IFTTT, Outlook rules, Outlook macros, and none worked.  I'm referring to Outlook 2011 Mac.  Outlook Win might work differently.

• Like 1

Have a GREAT day!

Rick

That works great for INBOUND email, but not for outbound email where you BCC your Evernote account.

As the OP requested, we need an option for Evernote to put the email header info (To, From, cc, bcc, date sent) in the body of the Evernote Note.

If have tried many other solutions, including IFTTT, Outlook rules, Outlook macros, and none worked.  I'm referring to Outlook 2011 Mac.  Outlook Win might work differently.

When I send an email out, I send a copy to another email address I have, and we then forward that one to evernote, and it works fine.  I already had the other email going out, so it was just a matter of forwarding the email upon receipt.

• Level 5*

When I send an email out, I send a copy to another email address I have, and we then forward that one to evernote, and it works fine.  I already had the other email going out, so it was just a matter of forwarding the email upon receipt.

I think that is a good workaround for outbound mail, but I have been unable to get either GMail or YahooMail to auto-forward and include the normal headers that are included with a manual forward.  Both of these providers seem to "redirect" rather than auto-foward.  

Maybe I'm missing something, some setup in those email providers.  Any suggestions?  Or do you use another email provider?

I think that is a good workaround for outbound mail, but I have been unable to get either GMail or YahooMail to auto-forward and include the normal headers that are included with a manual forward.  Both of these providers seem to "redirect" rather than auto-foward.  

Maybe I'm missing something, some setup in those email providers.  Any suggestions?  Or do you use another email provider?

Sorry, I use Outlook for ours.  I did find this for forwarding gmail though.

http://email.about.com/od/gmailtips/qt/How-To-Forward-Gmail-Email-Using-Filters.htm

Good luck!

I had the same problem.  I was even getting a confirmation note in my default notebook but no copy of my email.  I went out to the web version and looked up my address.  It was not the same as the address they sent me in the note about how to send emails.  When I used the address I got from the web version it worked.

• Level 5*

Sorry, I use Outlook for ours.  I did find this for forwarding gmail though.

http://email.about.com/od/gmailtips/qt/How-To-Forward-Gmail-Email-Using-Filters.htm

Good luck!

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I can't seem to make this work.

I setup a new account at Outlook.com, and created a Rule to forward mail from my normal email address to my Evernote account address.  When I send an email with the Outlook.com address in the BCC, it does foward to my Evernote account, but it does NOT include the email header info you get when you do a manual forward.

Outlook.com, like all the other email providers I have tried. are redirecting the email rather than actually forwarding it.

What am I missing?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

We have had a lot of great discussion, and a few workarounds that work for some, in this thread.

But the main issue as posted by the Original Poster (OP) remains an issue for many of us.

Evernote, please put this request on your to do list.  It would really be a big help  to many of us.

Thanks.

From OP:

I sometimes forward an email to my evernote account to create a Note but I also sometimes find it more efficient to bcc an email to my evernote.

However, if I bcc I end up having an email created Note in Evernote that does not have any headers and really on a glance does not even look like an email.

Is there a simple way to make a bcc email created Note look like a forwarded email with headers?

Thank you for any tips.

• Like 3
  • 5 months later...

We just began to automate emailing into evernote.  Before we would save them via the outlook addin.  The addin included the header.  Emailing into evernote does not.

Anyone know a way to include the header when emailing a note into evernote?  Or maybe just including today's date in the subject line?

Rick

• 11 months later...
  • Level 5*
13 hours ago, achiodi@schools.nyc.gov said:

I would like to see email headers when I send an email to Evernote.  Now, Evernote lists the note creation date as the date I sent the email & includes the body of the email only.  I would like to see header information (To, CC, BCC, date, etc.) when I send an email to Evernote.

When I forward email to Evernote, the To, Cc, Bcc, date information is maintained.

What email client are you using?

Example of Email forwarded to my EN account

Screen Shot 2016-07-27 at 9.58.32 PM.png
17 hours ago, DTLow said:

When I forward email to Evernote, the To, Cc, Bcc, date information is maintained.

What email client are you using?

Example of Email forwarded to my EN account

Screen Shot 2016-07-27 at 9.58.32 PM.png

When I forward an email, it forwards the headers, as it would on any email.  However, I would like the headers to be retained when I am CCing or BCCing an email to Evernote.  I do this often & would like a record of who else was on the email.  I have gone back to my sent folder & forwarded emails to accomplish this, but it feels like an extra (somewhat unnecessary) step.  I'd prefer to just have the headers come with the email.  

• 7 months later...
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Alessandra said:

Was a solution ever found? I have always had the same issue too and the BCC to a different email account which then forwards to evernote does not work

Personally, I don't use the email feature to create notes in EN

I have this function scripted on my Mac to create a note exactly as I want it (documented Here)

My requirements include

1. title formatted
  2. tags
  3. pdf attachment
  4. eml attachment
  5. link to  original note

Thank you for your response but unfortunately it does not help me. I like to BCC my evernote account when I write emails to third parties. Simply forwarding the sent email after it appears in the sent folder does the trick but it involves an extra step which I wanted to avoid.

Hence, please, does any one have an answer to my question.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Alessandra said:

Thank you for your response but unfortunately it does not help me. I like to BCC my evernote account when I write emails to third parties. Simply forwarding the sent email after it appears in the sent folder does the trick but it involves an extra step which I wanted to avoid.

Hence, please, does any one have an answer to my question.

Hi.  What email system are you using?  Can you set up a 'rule' in your own mailbox that any emails BCC'd to you are then forwarded to Evernote?

4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  What email system are you using?  Can you set up a 'rule' in your own mailbox that any emails BCC'd to you are then forwarded to Evernote?

Yes I have set up a forwarding rule. The problem is that the forwarded email becomes a note with the email subject line as its title. Howeve I lose the email headers (the date and time of the mail, who sent it and to whom). It is these headers I am interested in I already have the rule set up for the autoforwarding

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Don't know whether the effort is worthwhile,  but it's pretty easy to get a Gmail address,  and IFTTT will snatch incoming Gmails from specific addresses (like your main address) and create a new note from the content - I use that for receipts from some online purchases,  but if you routinely BCC'd to a Gmail address?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  Don't know whether the effort is worthwhile,  but it's pretty easy to get a Gmail address,  and IFTTT will snatch incoming Gmails from specific addresses (like your main address) and create a new note from the content - I use that for receipts from some online purchases,  but if you routinely BCC'd to a Gmail address?

I went down that path a couple of years back and in the end a bcc does not include the email header info, whereas a forward does.  A bcc to another account and then a rule to forward to EN still loses the original header info.  If memory is accurate, I think that's what happened and I gave up and went back to just having the second step of forwarding vs a bcc.  Now if there's a way to do this and I missed it, I would like to know.  

6 hours ago, csihilling said:

I went down that path a couple of years back and in the end a bcc does not include the email header info, whereas a forward does.  A bcc to another account and then a rule to forward to EN still loses the original header info.  If memory is accurate, I think that's what happened and I gave up and went back to just having the second step of forwarding vs a bcc.  Now if there's a way to do this and I missed it, I would like to know.  

I can confirm that that still does not work. There are several of us who would like this function. Any way we can petition for its implementation? I pay good money every year for evernote.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Alessandra said:

I pay good money every year for evernote.

It's a valid point,  but you pay for the existing service that Evernote provides - bugs, 'features' and all:  you didn't sign up on the understanding they'd implement your every suggestion ahead of the 1,000's of others out there.

When you say 'headers',  I assume you're meaning the From: and To: portion of the email that we all see,  not the technical routing information that's also referred to as a header...  (from http://whatismyipaddress.com/email-header)

To really understand what an email header is, you must see one. Here is an example of a full email header*:

Return-Path: <example_from@dc.edu>
X-SpamCatcher-Score: 1 [X]
Received: from [136.167.40.119] (HELO dc.edu)
    by fe3.dc.edu (CommuniGate Pro SMTP 4.1.8)
    with ESMTP-TLS id 61258719 for example_to@mail.dc.edu; Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:40:10 -0400
Message-ID: <4129F3CA.2020509@dc.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2005 11:40:36 -0400
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020823 Netscape/7.0
X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: Jon Smith <example_to@mail.dc.edu>
Subject: Business Development Meeting
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

* email headers should always be read from bottom to top.

Fortunately, most of this information is hidden inside the email with only the most relevant or mandatory headers appearing to the user. Those headers that we most often see and recognize are bolded in the above example

I'd say the 'from/ to' formatting is an essential part of the email - hopefully Evernote will get around to improving email clipping with that in mind soon...

10 minutes ago, gazumped said:

It's a valid point,  but you pay for the existing service that Evernote provides - bugs, 'features' and all:  you didn't sign up on the understanding they'd implement your every suggestion ahead of the 1,000's of others out there.

When you say 'headers',  I assume you're meaning the From: and To: portion of the email that we all see,  not the technical routing information that's also referred to as a header...  (from http://whatismyipaddress.com/email-header)

I'd say the 'from/ to' formatting is an essential part of the email - hopefully Evernote will get around to improving email clipping with that in mind soon...

Thank you. I do not for a moment suggest they should prioritise my needs over those of others. But this thread was started in 2014 by someone else asking for the same thing, it includes further contributions by other users also asking for the same thing. So clearly I am not alone.

Yes by headers I mean

To

CC

From

Date

• Like 4

Just thought I might add to my much earlier response.

We put into the subject line @orders email which is one of my notebooks

Then we use a rule in outlook, that automatically forwards any email sent with this in the subject line.

We then get all the information from the email into the note.  We then, copy or merge or move the note where it needs to be.

You could do this with any notebook in your account and set separate rules for different notebooks if necessary.

Hope this helps someone.

Have a GREAT day!

Rick

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
38 minutes ago, TIddly27 said:

Yes,  that sounds like the system I was using...  as far as I recall,  it copied all the standard header stuff.

1 hour ago, TIddly27 said:

Just thought I might add to my much earlier response.

Then we use a rule in outlook, that automatically forwards any email sent with this in the subject line.

We then get all the information from the email into the note.  We then, copy or merge or move the note where it needs to be.

You could do this with any notebook in your account and set separate rules for different notebooks if necessary.

Hope this helps someone.

Have a GREAT day!

Rick

Thank you so much but unfortunately it won't help me. I cannot put extraneous stuff like that in the subject line when I email third parties. I have no problem emailing my mail to evernote, the problem only occurs when I try to bcc my evernote account and no amount of setting rules seems to work if I am to preserve the following info

TO

CC

FROM

DATE

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, Alessandra said:

Thank you so much but unfortunately it won't help me. I cannot put extraneous stuff like that in the subject line when I email third parties. I have no problem emailing my mail to evernote, the problem only occurs when I try to bcc my evernote account and no amount of setting rules seems to work if I am to preserve the following info

TO

CC

FROM

DATE

You could also put the @notebook name in your signature, and use that signature when you want to send email to evernote.  Create rule that looks for this in the body.

Hope this helps.l

Have a GREAT day!

Rick

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, TIddly27 said:

You could also put the @notebook name in your signature

I was wondering how to automate the @notebook/#tag feature, but AFAIK having these values in the signature has no effect

35 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I was wondering how to automate the @notebook/#tag feature, but AFAIK having these values in the signature has no effect

I believe that is correct.  It will place it in the default notebook and you will have to move it, but it would contain the things you need.

Rick

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm using evernote for project organization  (sic :))

So every mail I sent to a client went bcc to my evernote account. But what I'm really missing is the From:, To:, and Date: header information of the mail: from which of my accounts did I sent the mail to whom and when?

Evernote picks already the Subject: mail header and put it in the title of the note. So it should be easy to pick the other header information and put them in the body of the note.

These days I sent the mail to the client, go to the Sent folder and forward the mail to evernote. That's not productive! 

Regards, Carsten. 

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
55 minutes ago, cneudo said:

But what I'm really missing is the From:, To:, and Date: header information of the mail: from which of my accounts did I sent the mail to whom and when?

Evernote picks already the Subject: mail header and put it in the title of the note. So it should be easy to pick the other header information and put them in the body of the note.

My solution was to replace the email feature with scripting on my Mac.  
This allows me to set up the note exactly the way I want it.  
My project is documented here

16 hours ago, DTLow said:

My solution was to replace the email feature with scripting on my Mac.  
This allows me to set up the note exactly the way I want it.  
My project is documented here

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately I don't have a Mac and don't know anything about applescript.

It looks like after sending the email you hit a key to export the sent mail as a pdf file and put it into evernote. This is a small step to do (hit one key) but it's an additional step (and you have to go to the sent mail).

When the header information will be put into the note by evernote no additional step is necessary. And it works for all systems (Mac, Linux, Windows, Android) and every mailer.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 4/17/2017 at 1:03 PM, cneudo said:

Hi, I'm using evernote for project organization  (sic :))

So every mail I sent to a client went bcc to my evernote account. But what I'm really missing is the From:, To:, and Date: header information of the mail: from which of my accounts did I sent the mail to whom and when?

These days I sent the mail to the client, go to the Sent folder and forward the mail to evernote. That's not productive! 

Regards, Carsten. 

Only way I know how to handle this is to not use the bcc method.  Rather, after sending the email, go to sent messages in your email and forward the email to EN from there.  Two step process, but it preserves the email header info.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, csihilling said:

Only way I know how to handle this is to not use the bcc method.  Rather, after sending the email, go to sent messages in your email and forward the email to EN from there.  Two step process, but it preserves the email header info.

That's the way I do it, but it's annoying. Too much unnecessary work and hey, Evernote should be a productivity tool ;)

So please, vote up my feature request, which made this work-around obsolete.

Ciao, Carsten.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, cneudo said:

That's the way I do it, but it's annoying. Too much unnecessary work and hey, Evernote should be a productivity tool ;)

So please, vote up my feature request, which made this work-around obsolete.

Ciao, Carsten.

Annoying it is for sure.  Up voted.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

When I type email messages on iPad with a bcc to Evernote the transfer does not include the headers that contain date/sender/cc addresses/subject.

How do I overcome that.problem?

All email messages on my iPad/iPhone/Windows have in the subject line a file reference in format 123-45-67 which is common to all devices.

How do I direct delivery of an email message bcc copy to a specific Evernote notebook/stack/file (example 123-45-67) instead of the default file? 

• Level 5*
On 2017-08-04 at 1:44 PM, Paul Trummel said:

When I type email messages on iPad with a bcc to Evernote the transfer does not include the headers that contain date/sender/cc addresses/subject.
How do I overcome that.problem?

It's a fact that headers are stripped.  The only solution I see is to bcc yourself; this is the email you forward to Evernote

>>How do I direct delivery of an email message bcc copy to a specific Evernote notebook/stack/file (example 123-45-67) instead of the default file? 

To specify a specific notebook for email, append @notebook to the email subject line
Documentation at  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005347-How-to-save-email-into-Evernote

• 1 month later...

Yes, I'm having the same problem. I've tried both BCC and FW, and often get only the body and not the TO, DATE, and so on.

It's important for some of these that I be able to say "I emailed you on {date} at {time} and did not get a response." Not having the date and all the TOs makes the "email into Evernote" useless for this sort of verification work.

I will look at setting up yet another email address, and auto-forwarding that into Evernote -- but this certainly seems like a basic feature that should be included in the email-in capability.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

For me forwarding the sent email as opposed to a bcc on the original sent email keeps the mail header of the sent.  Two step process and a PITA, but it does work with Thunderbird and eM Client.  Most of the time I don't have anything above the dashed line in the forwarded email.  Left it in for clarity, hopefully.

Scree111nClip.png.4a928d95e615d8732c5c2382b7d25b16.png     ScreenClip.png.d55c6967f1d59c8ae5fa0126b9a34077.png

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

I frequently BCC evernote with important emails to keep a record. Recently, the imported note loses ALL header info. It only includes the subject line as the title and the body of the email as the body of the note. Obviously, this is not all the information I need. I must have a complete record of the email info: names and email addresses from the TO, CC, Date, Time, etc. This is critical to recording keeping. Without it, Evernote is useless for this purpose. 

If I forward an email to Evernote, all the data arrives complete, just as it use to do when BCC. 

I think this would be independent of the apps I use since it is coming from an email client into Evernote. The notes are the same whether viewed on my iPhone, iMac or via Web. The key data is missing in all cases.

Please Evernote, fix this! It is vital. 

• Like 1

I can't believe this is still a problem FOUR years later. Evernote is supposed to be our filing cabinet where we can store all critical information to have available at our fingertips. Can we at least find out why it is a problem and why it can't be implemented? 

• Like 3

I can't believe this hasn't been implemented. The two step process is a pain and could be forgotten. Certainly wastes time. I've been a user since 2011 so I have years worth of BCC emails that are incomplete because I never had a need to look back at them and see that key data was missing. 

• Level 5*

Hi.  What's your OS and mail client?  AFAIR Evernote has never included header information with a BCC email.  For exactly that reason I normally prefer to BCC an email to my own address and forward the email to Evernote rather than use the blind copy option.  I'm on Windows and Outlook.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Ditto, bcc has never included mail header info, as long as I have been using EN.  My method is to forward the email from the sent folder.  Two step process, but it works.  

gazumped, I'm on Mac OS 10.12, Evernote Version 7.0.2, using Apply mail. After searching I found other threads about this going back many years. Seems like it should be an easy fix for Evernote. I'll use the Forward work around. It's just so much easier to BCC to ensure getting it into Evernote WHEN you are sending the email. 

gazumped and CalS, Thanks for your help.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, Lucinda said:

I'm on Mac OS 10.12, Evernote Version 7.0.2, using Apple mail.

As a solution to the header issue, Mac users can use a script (AppleScript) to import email to Evernote.5ac4e6f96792e_ScreenShot2018-04-04at07_52_51.png.d90b744fb6d8114611650a9eebb19b3a.png

This gives us control of the information being transfered, and the note format, title, tags, ...

5ac4ddc59dfc5_ScreenShot2018-04-04at07_13_46.png.7d005654b05d9cfb56237e4f28202cf0.png

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Lucinda said:

gazumped, I'm on Mac OS 10.12, Evernote Version 7.0.2, using Apply mail. After searching I found other threads about this going back many years. Seems like it should be an easy fix for Evernote. I'll use the Forward work around. It's just so much easier to BCC to ensure getting it into Evernote WHEN you are sending the email. 

gazumped and CalS, Thanks for your help.

You are welcome, and I share your pain.  I'd just as soon bcc if I could.  

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...

Hello, I know this thread is old but I'm using Outlook and Evernote on MAC and I don't want to do 2 steps -- BCC self and forward from Sent.

1) under Outlook preferences/composing turn on BCC myself

2) Under Outlook preferences/rules do 2 things: for all incoming mail from myself, a) forward to evernote, and b) archive the message immediately.  This gets it to evernote and out of my inbox.

I have all the mail header and information this way.

I do not have two steps this way. Outlook takes care of the mess.  (One of the rare good things I have to say about Outlook.)

I keep 3 lines in a sticky note, with each line set to tomorrow's date. I can triple click, copy and paste the line into the subject line before I sent new mail or replies.

!2019/02/25 @!actionIU #important #urgent <<reminder is usually today or tomorrow 

!2019/02/25 @!actionI #important <<edit the  date for the reminder--it's usually farther out than tomorrow

!2019/02/25 @!actionU #urgent << most action urgent things I do immediately --if 10 min or less--and I don't add this to the subject line. Then the reply goes to the default notebook. But If I have to delay for hours, I set the reminder and let the forward go to the urgent notebook.

All other messages go to the default notebook for incoming mail and I periodically send them to the right notebook for storage.

When I finish items I remove the urgent and important tags and send them to the right notebook.

Although I have used forward for months now, the FW: in the subject line is annoying. I just found that using REDIRECT in the rules does not add the FW: to the subject line and I'll use that from this moment onward in Outlook  Preferences/Rules for the BCC to myself.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, TerryS said:

I keep 3 lines in a sticky note, with each line set to tomorrow's date. I can triple click, copy and paste the line into the subject line before I sent new mail or replies.   !2019/02/25 @!actionIU #important #urgent ...

18 hours ago, TerryS said:

Although I have used forward for months now, the FW: in the subject line is annoying.

Kudos for atomating using email rules.

I find the extra text in the subject line annoying and confusing to recipients

As  per @gazumped, Filterize will support this text relocated to within the contents.  
I also use scripting on my Mac with Applescript.

I'm glad it works for you. 🙂

There are lots of services I'd pay $1 a month for, few at $5 or more monthly. Evernote-yes! G suite-yes!. Meetme.so -- yes!  Each of these revolutionized my work and productivity.

Paying as much for Filterize as for Gsuite, no. 

Well, we each have our profession, our budgets, our needs, our values. I don't want to wake up paying $1000 annually for tiny add ons.

Of course I'll do the free trial and see if it is worth it to me. It might be! 

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

+1 this idea. I'm having the same issue with multiple email clients. I use gmail Web, Apple Mail, and Airmail . What I do it click on "forward" and put my Evernote forwarding address in the "To" field. Then I send it.  

The note has the subject and body of the forwarded email , but I cannot see the original From/To information.

The use case that it causes a problem with for me is when I register an account and receive a confirmation that the account is created, I forward the email to Evernote so that I can remember which of my many email addresses I used to register the account with. 

I'm working on a project to consolidated accounts to a single email address, which will alleviate this issue eventually. However, if  I am prompted for the accounts email address in order to perform password recovery, and the Evernote note does''t tell me the address the registration email was sent to , then I have to guess which email address I used.  

+1 this idea. It still a problem in 2019. 

+1 this idea. I'm having the same issue with multiple email clients. I use gmail Web, Apple Mail, and Airmail . What I do it click on "forward" and put my Evernote forwarding address in the "To" field. Then I send it.  

The note has the subject and body of the forwarded email , but I cannot see the original From/To information.

The use case that it causes a problem with for me is when I register an account and receive a confirmation that the account is created, I forward the email to Evernote so that I can remember which of my many email addresses I used to register the account with. 

I'm working on a project to consolidated accounts to a single email address, which will alleviate this issue eventually. However, if  I am prompted for the accounts email address in order to perform password recovery, and the Evernote note does''t tell me the address the registration email was sent to , then I have to guess which email address I used.