Let each notebook have its own "View" settings (like in Windows client)

scav_on_gelli

Idea

As of now, changing the View settings for "Sort by" and "View Type" (card view, snippet view, etc.) will affect all notebooks.*  I would really really like to be able to make this notebook-specific instead.  I'm sure some users like that it's global, but you could add an option in the Preferences panel that says something like:

View options apply:  [globally]  [to specific notebooks]

One example of why this bothers me:  I want to sort most notebooks by Title, but I have a "Bookmarks" notebook that I always want sorted by Date Added.  I'm constantly switching to/from this Bookmarks notebook, and every time I also need to change the "Sort by"...

*Update: @jefito has informed me that similar functionality already exists for the Windows client (right-click > "Remember view settings"), so it seems to just be a matter of extending the functionality to Mac, Android, and any other clients that don't yet have it.

Edited by scav_on_gelli
Updating per other user's feedback

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Please specify which Evernote' client(s) you are using when describing problems or making feature requests. 

In this case,the Windows client can do what you're asking. Right-click on a notebook / "Remember View Settings"

3 minutes ago, jefito said:

Please specify which Evernote' client(s) you are using when describing problems or making feature requests. 

In this case, the Windows client can do what you're asking. Right-click on a notebook / "Remember View Settings"

Whoops, sorry.  I use the Mac and Android apps, which don't seem to have this functionality.  So I guess it's just a matter of extending the Windows app's functionality to the other platforms?  Is it safe to say the Windows client is the most feature-rich, or is this more of a one-off difference?

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, scav_on_gelli said:

Is it safe to say the Windows client is the most feature-rich, or is this more of a one-off difference?

There are numerous differences between the two clients.  I've used the Windows client for years and recently moved to a Mac at home.  Personally, I think the Windows version is superior, but that may be because I'm more familiar with it.  I think you will find varying opinions on your question.  

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, scav_on_gelli said:

Is it safe to say the Windows client is the most feature-rich, or is this more of a one-off difference?

There are specific features which eventually make it to both platforms.

One Mac only feature is extensive scripting API's via Applescript
https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/applescript.php

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
22 hours ago, s2sailor said:

There are numerous differences between the two clients.  I've used the Windows client for years and recently moved to a Mac at home.  Personally, I think the Windows version is superior, but that may be because I'm more familiar with it.  I think you will find varying opinions on your question.  

Same experience.  To me the Windows app has more bells and whistles within itself and it is easier to get done what I need to get done in my use case.