The operator error aspect of how this happened is somewhat embarrassing, but suffice it to say the app crashed while saving photo note of someone's info I needed.  In the process of departing words I failed to notice the crash.  I now am missing that info, and no way to make contact with this person.  A compounding factor was the stupid up sell to premium for business card scanning.  It's annoying in general, but no, not every small form factor piece of paper is a business card.  Even more frustrating when you can't correctly identify the thing you're up selling.  But I digress, does any know if the photos are cached locally and if so any way to retrieve. I'm fearful that even if cached iOS is so restrictive (soapbox for another day), that it will be difficult to retrieve.

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, Gear64 said:

does any know if the photos are cached locally and if so any way to retrieve.

Yes; the photos are cached locally before syncing to the Evernote servers

No; I don't know how to access the cache other than the notes viewer

I also have photos sent to my photo album (user setting)

Thanks, there's several possibilities.  Crashed saving maybe not cached, crashed synching potentially cashed, potentially cleans up after sync, but crashed so potentially didn't cleanup after sync.  The few file apps I looked at seem to only give you more detail into what's already accessible, and visibility to external file systems.  Potentially I could give them more access and see more, but I hate doing that with third party app.  Would be much nicer if local utility for permission elevation to see the root system, like Linux sudo.

• Level 5

No root view on iOS. I don’t think there is even a jailbreak for iOS 11 or 12, that would allow root access.

It even gets worse (or better, depending on the viewpoint): On iOS all apps run sandboxed, in their own little memory space, cut off from the rest of the machine. So if an app crashes, and does not hold a local heap of recovery data, all data will collapse together with the sandbox it was contained in.

This leads to an extraordinary security level of iOS devices, especially when compared to Android, but data not send to global memory (like fotos, iCloud or dedicated memory on the i-device itself) will be gone for good after closing an app.

Interesting follow-up.  I was at the dentist today and took a photo note of my next appointment card. Upon taking the snapshot, it wanted to append to the 'buffered' previous 'crashed' process.  Two of the three images I had taken previously were still there.  Unfortunately, the missing one was the most significant, but the other two could provide some context if someone were to try to scam me, so better than nothing.  It was only upon taking a new photo, that there was any sign of remnants hanging around.

• Thanks 1
On 7/9/2019 at 9:59 AM, DTLow said:

I also have photos sent to my photo album (user setting)

I always felt like managing the photo album would be a hassle, but this is not first hiccup with photo note, so may reconsider.

9 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Good for you - buffering on crash is not a bad strategy. This was inside of the EN app for iOS ? And as I understand the buffer was reactivated when trying the next scan, some days later ?

Correct however one image was missing, but maybe some type of unrecoverable corruption with that image was cause of remaining never synch-ing (5 days).  FWIW the app had been shutdown and reopened multiple times as well, at least in foreground.  I never did a hard reset of the phone like after iOS upgrade or something.