Basket area for selected notes to group or link

seebee

Idea

IT would be great to have a 'basket' area for selected notes on main screen. Copying internal links between notes is time consuming (anti productive). Often it is difficult finding a note that you want to relate others to.

I am aware that creating a shortcut will achieve this, but this is more of a workaround.

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, seebee said:

IT would be great to have a 'basket' area for selected notes on main screen

Like a Tag1979721665_ScreenShot2019-07-08at18_14_37.png.2a752adb3e62a8b3a0415a7aff6f88c7.png

>>Copying internal links between notes is time consuming

or create a Table of Contents Note

(Screenshot from my Mac)

>>I am aware that creating a shortcut will achieve this

You also can create a shortcut to the Tag or ToC note.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, seebee said:

IT would be great to have a 'basket' area for selected notes on main screen.

What is the 'main screen'? Is it the note list? The left panel? The note panel? What is a 'basket area', other than a collection of notes, which you already have (the note list). How do you propose filling your basket? 

1 hour ago, seebee said:

Often it is difficult finding a note that you want to relate others to.

@DTLow is correct. In Evernote, tags are an important way to connect notes that have something in common.  Tags are like adjectives; they can tell us that a group of notes are important, that they refer to tasks you need to do, that they refer to some topic you are interested in, and so on. Since they have no intrinsic meaning, all of the meaning comes from you.

1 hour ago, seebee said:

I am aware that creating a shortcut will achieve this, but this is more of a workaround.

Shortcuts (and their cousins, saved searches) aren't workarounds, they're ways of making notes that you want to find (in whatever way you can express using the search language) more accessible to you. Why add an entirely new UI element (the basket panel?) with its own set of behaviors and which replicates much of what the note list already does?

Thank you for your responses.  I do get the idea of grouping notes to create a TOC. At it's best is very basic for my uses. It is a very manual way of doing things, and only gets more messy if you want change or add links.
Something that may explain my need would be to cntrl+click several notes in the note list, drag them to a shortcut, which would then create a link to this shortcut.

What I have noticed is that you can drag a note from the note list into the note panel to create a shortcut (to itself)! Not much use. What is the purpose of this feature?!

If you want to make a connection between notes that don't share the same tag or belong to the same notebook it gets a bit tiresome.   You can cntrl+click to select them in  the note list, but when you have to scroll further, the selections are lost.
Anyway, I'm not really that sure if these features would actually be of benefit. I get frustrated with what EN won't do for me, which further turns me off exploring it for further uses.
I will look closer at tags as you both suggest, and see if the tags created some time ago are perhaps not up to scratch with how I use EN now
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, seebee said:

What I have noticed is that you can drag a note from the note list into the note panel to create a shortcut (to itself)! Not much use. What is the purpose of this feature?!

Quick access to oft used notes.

1 hour ago, seebee said:

If you want to make a connection between notes that don't share the same tag or belong to the same notebook it gets a bit tiresome. 

Only way I know is to create a new connection, typically a tag.  I don't use many notebooks but sometimes will create a temporary one to house notes on a project.  Then back to the main notebook post project for the more transient relationships.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, seebee said:

Open a "basket" note into  it's own window

Drag the collection of notes into the basket note

It can be a single note, or multiple notes, and is faster than using the copy links feature

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, seebee said:

One obvious usage is that if you have a lot of notes but few shortcuts (the ideal situation), then it's usually easier to find that note in the shortcuts rather than your entire note database.

What I mean by the useless shortcut is dragging a note into its' own note panel (not the shortcut toolbar at top in Windows) creates a shortcut to itself. Perhaps it doesn't do this on a Mac? 

Not to worry.

By putting this question out there I've worked out a way to roughly achieve what I'm after. I don't think there is any quicker way

Create a TOC
  • Create a new note (homepage)
  • make a shortcut of this 
  • select notes  (from anywhere) required for the TOC and right click to create a shortcut
  • open the homepage shortcut and cntrl+v the selected notes
to create forward and backward links 
  • open the homepage and copy it's internal link
  • click on each linked note and cntrl+v at top of note
  • this link will remain alive until you create a new cntrl+c
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, seebee said:

What I mean by the useless shortcut is dragging a note into its' own note panel (not the shortcut toolbar at top in Windows) creates a shortcut to itself.

Oh, I see what you meant. Well, that's just a special case of the general Evernote behavior when you drag/drop a note into another note: it creates an internal link (not a shortcut, which has a different meaning in Evernote) to the note you dragged from; this is indisputably useful:  I use it to create ad hoc TOC notes, for example. Since there's no rule preventing a user from creating an internal link to itself, evidently, there's no real need to prevent you from doing it if you want to do so, for some reason. Simple advice: if it hurts when you do X, don't do X.

But glad you worked out a solution that works for you.