Jump to content
NSH

"EvernoteSpotlight quit unexpectedly" repeatedly

Recommended Posts

"EvernoteSpotlight quit unexpectedly" repeatedly...

It has been so annoying that this has still not been fixed. I have seen so many Evernote users reporting the same issue. Still not done. When will this be fixed? I have this stupid message popping up everyday repeatedly. Still no solution made. Please give the solution as this has been very frustrating to many. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Merged with existing discussion

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/20/2020 at 11:37 AM, odoyle said:

this issue has been happening for this long with no fix??

Agreed, it is hard to understand why this issue has NOT been fixed six months after it was first reported.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, it's back for me AGAIN. It started on Jan 22. I checked, there has been no Evernote app update, so that kills my theory it was related to upgrading the app. On the 22nd, it crashed 7 times around 8:58 AM, and the 23rd it crashed 12 times around 8:58 - 8:59 AM.  It sounds like it might be tied to something happening around 9 AM?

PLEASE EVERNOTE WHY CAN'T YOU FIX THIS?

Share this post


Link to post

For those of you on Twitter, I suggest a Twitter campaign to put pressure on Evernote to get this fixed.  I don't do Twitter or Facebook, or I would start it.

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

For those of you on Twitter, I suggest a Twitter campaign to put pressure on Evernote to get this fixed.  I don't do Twitter or Facebook, or I would start it.

 

Can someone post here (to this web-forum thread) a list of weblinks to more-formal, posted/filed bugs (like to Evernote's formal bug-submission system/website?) or some sort of corrective-action requests (again, weblinks to something like "support tickets") created for this bug/issue/topic?

Edited by hydrostarr
clarifying: need weblinks to bugs/tickets systems

Share this post


Link to post

As requested: I had the problem just for a short period of time, with Mojave, summer 2019. I got it fixed by completely uninstall EN from my MacBook Pro, using the app AppCleaner and thoroughly  check each position in the remove options list for removal. There is more below the visible window, so make sure you scroll down to the bottom and click on every item that is not already ticked off. Then I restarted my Mac, got the EN app fresh from the EN-website (not from the AppStore !), reinstalled, resynced, and that was it.

The problem did not come back, fingers crossed.

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

I got it fixed by completely uninstall EN from my MacBook Pro, using the app AppCleaner

Glad that it worked for you, but it did not for me, using a very similar procedure.

IAC, for those with a large number of Notes, that is not a very practical solution.

Obviously, the solution is for Evernote to focus on this for a bit and solve it.

Share this post


Link to post

Problem is on 6 Macs: different hardware, different OSes. Needs to be fixed by Evernote. The deinstall/reinstall doesn't work. Problm exists for months now and it seems the developer is on holidays.

I pay premium and at least there should be any reaction by the developer.

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/5/2020 at 7:16 PM, hydrostarr said:

 

Can someone post here (to this web-forum thread) a list of weblinks to more-formal, posted/filed bugs (like to Evernote's formal bug-submission system/website?) or some sort of corrective-action requests (again, weblinks to something like "support tickets") created for this bug/issue/topic?

 

Is there a bug-submission process or webpage?

I see this: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005377-How-to-submit-or-track-completion-of-a-bug

...which (maybe?) leads to this: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/categories/200001917-Troubleshooting

...which does not appear to provide a means to submit a bug report.

Why is someone (an Evernote representative or general community member) not coordinating a list of formal bug reports for this issue?

Share this post


Link to post

Bugs are reported by issuing a support ticket. If EN is already working on an issue, support will often tell they know and are working on it.

As it is hard to tell when a bug-fix in itself is bug-free, they will most likely not tell in advance when a fix will be released. You find it sometimes in the release notes (mot every issue is mentioned there), and sometimes EN staff informs about a bug fix here in the forum.

Share this post


Link to post

...so do we have any support tickets references/numbers/weblinks (ANYTHING) to signify a formal request to and accountability from Evernote?

Anyone?

(This is my 3rd request on this point. No one has provided any references to such things. Does this mean no one has filed a support ticket, bug, or anything to submit a formal change request to Evernote?)

Seems to me without such things Evernote can blow off this forum topic for as long as they want. I'm not sure why everyone is complaining and not making a formal request.... if such things are productive?

To be clear: I'm a user experiencing this problem. I want it solved. I want to collaborate on a more-effective way to solve it. If Evernote has a process to solve these kinds a problems (its clear that discussion forum topics are not it), then let's leverage it. Why are we not?

Where's gazumped? Back in Sep 2019 he said "If they haven't fixed this within several weeks,  I'd be sure they're working very hard to understand why...". It's now Feb 2020. Is that long enough for "several weeks," and if so, can Evernote humor us with an explanation?

(I'm getting wordy and repetitive now in interest of motivating many users to coordinate and generate more-effective motion...)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

As a "Premium" user sucker I've opened many tickets for this-

#2677016 - closed marked "solved" - 10/4/18
#2815722 - closed marked "solved" - 4/7/19
#2823619 - closed marked "solved" - 4/18/19
#2834216 - closed marked "solved" - 5/6/19
#2942201 - closed marked "solved" - 10/16/19

They all got closed within hours or days by level 1 "monkeys-for-hire" -- these are not even official EN staff, they are just some 3rd party subcontractors or volunteers, not even sure what to call them.

I gave up on support tickets a long time ago -- totally useless.

Evernote is on life support, I've been looking for a good alternative, sadly there just isn't one yet that ticks all my boxes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, hydrostarr said:

Where's gazumped?

Hi there.  Pretty sure you normally need to say my name 3 times to get a prompt response,  but I'm afraid I'm just a user too.  Not even a Mac user,  so I have no personal involvement in the issue...  but you raise a good point:

6 minutes ago, hydrostarr said:

do we have any support tickets references/numbers/weblinks (ANYTHING) to signify a formal request to and accountability from Evernote?

My comment was made on the assumption that Evernote was being pelted with support requests,  and realised that this was an urgent issue.  Otherwise it's possible that they still don't even know that there's a problem.  While staffers do read these posts,  AFAIK there's no particular priority to it,  and any given topic might not get seen for months.

Any subscriber can raise a ticket,  and I'd suggest those with experience / logs / screenshots should do so (if they didn't already) and, as you suggest,  post the ticket numbers here.

Any non-subscriber with the above information can also join in - just send your reports to https://twitter.com/evernotehelps or pile in on the conversations at https://www.facebook.com/groups/evernotecommunity/

@luckman212 (who I've just seen) had the right idea - but at least I can flag this thread for an Admin (staff member) who can look at some real facts and -maybe- give you all an answer...

Meantime I'm really not averse to corporate-bashing when it's due,  so feel free to add your ticket numbers folks - the more the better...

Share this post


Link to post
I'm sorry this got long but here is a transcript of my chat with Evernote technical support today (2/7/2020):
 
 
you  6:05:02 pm
Evernote Spotlight Quit Unexpectedly is popping up on my computer several times a day and is a major topic in the Evernote User Forum. Is anything being done to resolve
jansen  6:05:14 pm
Hi there! Thanks for reaching out to Evernote Support. My name is Jansen and I'll be happy to assist you today. One moment please while I review your inquiry.
jansen  6:06:55 pm
I'm looking into this on my end now. I appreciate your patience, Deborah.
you  6:10:30 pm
Thank you
jansen  6:10:47 pm
I'm going to recommend that you rebuild your Evernote database using App Cleaner. I'm going to include steps for that below.
jansen  6:10:50 pm
I recommend you export any local notebooks and unsynced notes as a backup because they have not been synced to our server and will be unrecoverable after this procedure. For detailed instructions on exporting your notes, click here <url> Then follow these steps: 1. If Evernote is running, press Command + Q to quit the Evernote application 2. Download App Cleaner from the App Cleaner website <url>/ 3. When the download is complete: open the zip file, then open the App Cleaner app 4. Open the ‘Applications’ folder in your Finder and drag Evernote to the App Cleaner window 5. After App Cleaner searches for and lists all related files, scroll down the list and select every single box for Evernote files. Afterwards, click Remove Please be sure to check all boxes in App Cleaner to remove Evernote, including "<url>" <url> 8. Download and install Evernote for Mac from the Evernote website <url>/ 9. Drag the Evernote icon into your ‘Applications’ folder 10. Open Evernote and log in to your Evernote account
jansen  6:11:30 pm
The steps are a bit lengthy, so I'd be happy to send them to you via email as well so you can review them more closely.
you  6:14:43 pm
Why does this have to be done. I have ALOT of information saved in Evernote on my Mac and it's been talked about for over a year now. Why hasn't Evernote fixed this problem without having their customers have to jump thru hoops to make it work correctly
jansen  6:16:01 pm
I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, Deborah. I'm more than happy to relay your feedback to our technical team, but as of now, this is the best process to resolve the Spotlight issue you're experiencing.
you  6:17:22 pm
I'm sure the technical team has been told MANY times about this problem with NO FIX! Does anyone go out and check Evernote User Forums to see all the issues and at least reply to people that something is being done
jansen  6:20:34 pm
We do have a team who monitors the Forums, but I'll be sure to run this by them just to be thorough.
jansen  6:20:38 pm
I can confirm that this issue is still open with development. In full transparency, this bug fix hasn't been prioritized yet because our developers are refactoring search. We're also busy fixing the basics in our editor and sync architecture, which will eliminate many of the bugs that have been around for a while, including this one. At this time our developers have had to prioritize fixes around other bugs that are heavily impacting most of our users. Regardless, I'll be sure to alert our engineers on your behalf. 
you  6:22:14 pm
OK I'll let other users know what you have told me because everyone feels no-one from Evernote is paying any attention at all
jansen  6:23:12 pm
I completely understand your frustration. Would you be able to share the Forum post to which you're referring? That was I can alert our Forum moderators to it specifically.
jansen  6:23:50 pm
*That way
you  6:25:28 pm
"EvernoteSpotlight quit unexpectedly" repeatedly By NSH, July 6, <num> in Evernote for Mac 
jansen  6:26:52 pm
That's very helpful. Thanks Deborah.
you  6:26:55 pm
You will also see a few people have tried what you have sent me and have not had success
jansen  6:27:53 pm
I understand. Those steps have worked in most cases in my experience, so I'd recommend giving them a try.
you  6:28:15 pm
It would also be helpful if an Evernote Moderator would reply in this forum
jansen  6:28:49 pm
I'll be sure to relay this to the team who manages the Forums.
jansen  6:29:04 pm
Is there anything else I can do for you in the mean time?
you  6:29:59 pm
no thanks - I will continue checking in the forum for comments
jansen  6:30:09 pm
If you have no further questions, you can exit this chat at any time. Have a great rest of your day.
Chat completed at 6:42:21 PM UTC

 

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Pretty sure you normally need to say my name 3 times to get a prompt response

And spin around twice....

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, luckman212 said:

As a "Premium" user sucker I've opened many tickets for this-

#2677016 - closed marked "solved" - 10/4/18
#2815722 - closed marked "solved" - 4/7/19
#2823619 - closed marked "solved" - 4/18/19
#2834216 - closed marked "solved" - 5/6/19
#2942201 - closed marked "solved" - 10/16/19

They all got closed within hours or days by level 1 "monkeys-for-hire" -- these are not even official EN staff, they are just some 3rd party subcontractors or volunteers, not even sure what to call them.

I gave up on support tickets a long time ago -- totally useless.

Evernote is on life support, I've been looking for a good alternative, sadly there just isn't one yet that ticks all my boxes.

 

This note is particularly useful. Many thanks @luckman212.  Other replies here are also helpful, thanks all.

Could it be possible that Evernote, as a corporation, is past the point of effectivity for this issue?   (Given the above, one might reasonably question their entire support-ticket process in general - which might indicate poor general health of the corporation?)

Will there ever be an official response from Evernote on this topic -- from someone with sufficient capability and authority, like a Sr. Engineer, Product Manager, or Vice President?

Share this post


Link to post

Poor support rep, however ...

His pay is measured with a job description about giving polite and technically correct answers, and then he is forced into explaining company politics. This is for any decent engineer or technician more voodoo than you are normally willing to digest in a week.

Share this post


Link to post

The official answer is cmd-q, app cleaner, Apple menu, clock, Evernote.com and resync (to cut it short).

And no, I think nobody is happy about this, not even me, not having the issue ever since I did what they told me to do.

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, DebbieJo said:
I'm sorry this got long but here is a transcript of my chat with Evernote technical support today (2/7/2020):
 
 
you  6:05:02 pm
Evernote Spotlight Quit Unexpectedly is popping up on my computer several times a day and is a major topic in the Evernote User Forum. Is anything being done to resolve
jansen  6:05:14 pm
Hi there! Thanks for reaching out to Evernote Support. My name is Jansen and I'll be happy to assist you today. One moment please while I review your inquiry.
jansen  6:06:55 pm
I'm looking into this on my end now. I appreciate your patience, Deborah.
you  6:10:30 pm
Thank you
jansen  6:10:47 pm
I'm going to recommend that you rebuild your Evernote database using App Cleaner. I'm going to include steps for that below.
jansen  6:10:50 pm
I recommend you export any local notebooks and unsynced notes as a backup because they have not been synced to our server and will be unrecoverable after this procedure. For detailed instructions on exporting your notes, click here <url> Then follow these steps: 1. If Evernote is running, press Command + Q to quit the Evernote application 2. Download App Cleaner from the App Cleaner website <url>/ 3. When the download is complete: open the zip file, then open the App Cleaner app 4. Open the ‘Applications’ folder in your Finder and drag Evernote to the App Cleaner window 5. After App Cleaner searches for and lists all related files, scroll down the list and select every single box for Evernote files. Afterwards, click Remove Please be sure to check all boxes in App Cleaner to remove Evernote, including "<url>" <url> 8. Download and install Evernote for Mac from the Evernote website <url>/ 9. Drag the Evernote icon into your ‘Applications’ folder 10. Open Evernote and log in to your Evernote account
jansen  6:11:30 pm
The steps are a bit lengthy, so I'd be happy to send them to you via email as well so you can review them more closely.
you  6:14:43 pm
Why does this have to be done. I have ALOT of information saved in Evernote on my Mac and it's been talked about for over a year now. Why hasn't Evernote fixed this problem without having their customers have to jump thru hoops to make it work correctly
jansen  6:16:01 pm
I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, Deborah. I'm more than happy to relay your feedback to our technical team, but as of now, this is the best process to resolve the Spotlight issue you're experiencing.
you  6:17:22 pm
I'm sure the technical team has been told MANY times about this problem with NO FIX! Does anyone go out and check Evernote User Forums to see all the issues and at least reply to people that something is being done
jansen  6:20:34 pm
We do have a team who monitors the Forums, but I'll be sure to run this by them just to be thorough.
jansen  6:20:38 pm
I can confirm that this issue is still open with development. In full transparency, this bug fix hasn't been prioritized yet because our developers are refactoring search. We're also busy fixing the basics in our editor and sync architecture, which will eliminate many of the bugs that have been around for a while, including this one. At this time our developers have had to prioritize fixes around other bugs that are heavily impacting most of our users. Regardless, I'll be sure to alert our engineers on your behalf. 
you  6:22:14 pm
OK I'll let other users know what you have told me because everyone feels no-one from Evernote is paying any attention at all
jansen  6:23:12 pm
I completely understand your frustration. Would you be able to share the Forum post to which you're referring? That was I can alert our Forum moderators to it specifically.
jansen  6:23:50 pm
*That way
you  6:25:28 pm
"EvernoteSpotlight quit unexpectedly" repeatedly By NSH, July 6, <num> in Evernote for Mac 
jansen  6:26:52 pm
That's very helpful. Thanks Deborah.
you  6:26:55 pm
You will also see a few people have tried what you have sent me and have not had success
jansen  6:27:53 pm
I understand. Those steps have worked in most cases in my experience, so I'd recommend giving them a try.
you  6:28:15 pm
It would also be helpful if an Evernote Moderator would reply in this forum
jansen  6:28:49 pm
I'll be sure to relay this to the team who manages the Forums.
jansen  6:29:04 pm
Is there anything else I can do for you in the mean time?
you  6:29:59 pm
no thanks - I will continue checking in the forum for comments
jansen  6:30:09 pm
If you have no further questions, you can exit this chat at any time. Have a great rest of your day.
Chat completed at 6:42:21 PM UTC

 

Thank you @DebbieJo - quite illustrative.  😎

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Any subscriber can raise a ticket,  and I'd suggest those with experience / logs / screenshots should do so (if they didn't already) and, as you suggest,  post the ticket numbers here.

Thanks @gazumped. Given luckman212's and others' apparent experience, I'm demotivated (to submit/engage in official support requests). It seems like Evernote has scaled beyond their ability to support their user base.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Just for information, I used to run a customer service team at an ISP, so I'm familiar with the conflicts that can arise. 

With absolutely no inside knowledge at all I can imagine that Evernote,  who have recently been talking about releasing a new version of every app they currently offer, are currently concentrating all their efforts on QA for the packages - including a new Mac client that includes a fix for this issue.  In that case it would be a waste of resources to try and apply their fix to an 'old' setup,  but they also can't release the new package until it's been tested,  and new bits of that package are not compatible with the old code.

That's 99.99% imaginarium,  but its the sort of thing I've had happen to me - in a former life I could not talk about the next version before its release,  but spent weeks being bad-mouthed by customers who were complaining about issues we had already fixed and would be sorted - as soon as some i's and t's could be dealt with.  Those last few steps were doozies.  🙄

Just sayin'...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

I completely agree (as a veteran of customer service wars as well), and these guy are often in a bind because they know something is wrong, they know things are worked on, but nothing ready to release yet, and their job is to calm down things just enough to buy time for the dev teams to finish work. If you are lucky you have a somewhat nasty but applicable workaround to offer.

So sometimes we should take a „no / not yet“ for what it is, even if this does not change our own situation as a user / customer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/7/2020 at 1:40 PM, gazumped said:

Just for information, I used to run a customer service team at an ISP, so I'm familiar with the conflicts that can arise. 

With absolutely no inside knowledge at all I can imagine that Evernote,  who have recently been talking about releasing a new version of every app they currently offer, are currently concentrating all their efforts on QA for the packages - including a new Mac client that includes a fix for this issue.  In that case it would be a waste of resources to try and apply their fix to an 'old' setup,  but they also can't release the new package until it's been tested,  and new bits of that package are not compatible with the old code.

That's 99.99% imaginarium,  but its the sort of thing I've had happen to me - in a former life I could not talk about the next version before its release,  but spent weeks being bad-mouthed by customers who were complaining about issues we had already fixed and would be sorted - as soon as some i's and t's could be dealt with.  Those last few steps were doozies.  🙄

Just sayin'...

 

These are the minimal things needed out of a minimally-competent customer service in a situation like this:

1) an acknowledgement of the problem/scenario

2) some info (even a tiny bit) about their intentions (fix or not fix, waiting to see if new fixes it, etc etc).

However, Evernote is providing neither of these, nor anything else. Thus, the "burying their head in the sand" is simply causing more angst (and sometimes anger) from the user community, or at least from this user.

A simple little message like:  "We are aware of this problem but do not yet have a timeline for fix; we are focused on a major new release right now" would make all the difference for me, and I suspect many others.

This is not hard to do. But Evernote is not doing it. It's a bad, bad look for them.

Further, in regards to being an apologist (like gazumped's above msg) for this lack of simple communication: while I suspect it's well intended, this (the rationalization) also aggravates me -- possibly even more than I'm aggravated by Evernote's lack of customer-interfacing on this topic.

Evernote hopefully has deep pockets and some maturity. (Hopefully?) Not having someone manage these forums who has this bare minimum competence -- that, frankly, seems _really bad_.

It'd be helpful to know who's in charge of customer interfacing for this segment of the business. Can anyone share?

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/7/2020 at 7:41 PM, stamatgeorge said:

CEO of Twitter: https://twitter.com/iansmall

(I think @stamatgeorge means to write "CEO of Evernote.")

Anybody have a reference/contact info for the VP of Customer Service/Experience, or a person in a similar role, responsibility, and authority?

Share this post


Link to post

No - and if I were him, I would probably like to keep it that way ... 😮

But why not use the twitter account of Ian ? I ran a customer service in the past, and I DID pay attention when I got a tap on my shoulder from our CEO.

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, this is pretty lame—having the exact same issue, multiple times a day.

Share this post


Link to post

I thought I'd commented on this before, but perhaps it was on another thread. I'd been having this issue as well intermittently but repeatedly for a very long time, but it stopped quite a while ago, and I don't know what happened to make it stop. That suggests it may be environment-dependent and difficult to reproduce. I feel for those still experiencing it, because it was really annoying when it was happening, just wanted y'all to know it may not be a widespread experience.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/28/2019 at 5:03 AM, NSH said:

I tried uninstall with App Cleaner, updated the OS, and reinstall, but happened again. So, I have no idea how bad this idea is, but I decided to remove this process manually. Since then, I've never seen the problem. Here is how to do that;

  1. Run Terminal
  2. Type this command and enter

rm /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/PlugIns/EvernoteSpotlight.appex/Contents/MacOS/EvernoteSpotlight

Hope this helps you.

 

Just wanted to follow up on this post to confirm that this was the only thing that worked for me to get rid of the continual EvernoteSpotlight crashing. I performed this procedure on 1/13/2020, and as of today, have not had a single EvernoteSpotlight crash. Thanks for the info!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

I had this problem last year.  The AppCleaner fix (checking all the boxes as suggested above!) worked for me for several  months.  Good !

But today, the problem came back. I got two "EvernoteSpotlight quit unexpectedly" messages in 2 minutes. 

Share this post


Link to post

Simple question, often hard to answer: What has changed ?

Any update, any new program installed, ... ?

Share this post


Link to post

I am getting it repeatedly.  Is there a fix for this?

 

Share this post


Link to post

I'm getting it repeatedly as well.  It is frustrating....but not yet a deal breaker for me.  

Share this post


Link to post

I'm going to chime in on this topic because this problem has been bothering me for 2 years now. And I have very carefully followed the entire instructions on using App Cleaner to remove it and reinstall it, etc. In fact I've had to do that about 3-4 times now. It only works for a few weeks to maybe a couple of months and then the problem comes back. I don't know what triggers it to come back. 

I'm at a loss, because if I open another ticket with them, they're just going to tell me to do the exact same thing I've already done again and again. And yes, if I do that again, the problem will appear to go away. But for me it's always temporary.

It would be one thing if the error came up in the background just ONCE, but the error will pop up over everything else I'm doing, sitting on top of all windows, 5-6 times in a session, maybe once or twice A DAY! Even without the application running. It's like the thing is designed just to annoy you. I could be using my computer to record a presentation with a screenshare and BLAM! the error pops up and destroys the whole thing. 

I cannot live with this problem much longer. I am making designs to possibly switch to OneNote. Which I dread, because OneNote is hinged on OneDrive, and OneDrive is not my cloud solution (I use Dropbox and I have no intention of changing it). If both OneDrive and Dropbox are permitted on my computer the two start competing for system resources, so I prefer only one of these solutions. I exorcised OneDrive and iCloud from my computer a long time ago. Evernote has its own sync system that works pretty well and doesn't seem to cause me any problems. And I have a HUGE amount of data in Evernote. I really hate the idea of switching, but this bug is giving me no choice. They are not fixing it.

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, Symphonitron said:

I cannot live with this problem much longer.

I applied this fix, and I no longer get the error, and my Notes are still being indexed by Spotlight:

On 12/28/2019 at 9:03 AM, NSH said:

I decided to remove this process manually. Since then, I've never seen the problem. Here is how to do that;

  1. Run Terminal
  2. Type this command and enter

rm /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/PlugIns/EvernoteSpotlight.appex/Contents/MacOS/EvernoteSpotlight

Actually, what I did was this:  I zipped and deleted the EvernoteSpotlight.appex folder:

/Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/PlugIns/EvernoteSpotlight.appex

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I applied this fix, and I no longer get the error, and my Notes are still being indexed by Spotlight:

@JMichaelTX can you please share any detail of how you got Spotlight playing nice with EN on Catalina? I've tried "everything". All I can get it to display is a bunch of "snippet.txt" and "content.enml" results...

image.png.162f871e24bfe9fce31b077d77069231.png

Share this post


Link to post

The EvernoteSpotlight quit unexpectedly Bug has been going on for months.

It even occurred with me on a NEW MacBookPro 16" 2019 with 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD with the only addition being a FRESH Evernote installation.

 

The problem is NOT with the Evernote application. 

The problem is the EvernoteSpotlight PLUGIN

that is installed in Evernote itself. 

This is the piece of code that crashes.

 

----------

Evernote supports solution DOES NOT WORK.

They want you to completely deinstall Evernote and wiping out all traces and files of Evernote then

reinstalling Evernote and waiting for your own files to download to your Mac.

EvernoteSpotlight will still crash.

Their solution is not a permanent solution.

It does not answer nor eliminate why the EvernoteSpotlight crashes.

It is also UNTENABLE to repeatedly reinstall Evernote and its files particularly when you have a large database of Evernote files. This takes hours to download.

 

----------

SUSPECT CAUSE OF CRASHES:

I suspect the problem is that EvernoteSpotlight may be encountering certain PDFs that it chokes on when it tries to OCR them for searches.

 

A similar problem was crashing a different app called KeepIt - which has a similar function to Evernote but is a local Mac App what stores its notes on iCloud. 

KeepIt was trying to do OCR on PDFs so that it could do a Spotlight Search on the contents. But this function kept crashing.

I stopped KeepIt from doing OCR on PDFs (since I do OCR using a different App) and KeepIt has stopped crashing. 

 

If EvernoteSpotlight could just more elegantly abort OCR functions that fail and simply AVOID crashing the entire EvernoteSpotlight plugin, then this would get rid of the problem.

 

----------

The EvernoteSpotlight plugin has TWO SEPARATE FUNCTIONS:

 

1) SPOTLIGHT SEARCH: It apparently allows you to do Mac OS Spotlight Searches on Evernote's Contents stored on your Mac.

 

2) SHARE TO EVERNOTE: It allows you to Print PDFs to Evernote, Share PDFs to Evernote, Clip Web Content to Evernote.

 

I AM FINE WITHOUT SPOTLIGHT SEARCHES ON EVERNOTE.

But SHARE TO EVERNOTE is VITAL.

----------

The villain is the EvernoteSpotlight PLUGIN that is installed within the Evernote App.

YOU CAN REMOVE IT MANUALLY TO STOP THE CRASHING.

 

Simply:

1. Select the Finder menu item "Go to Folder..."
2. Enter: /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/PlugIns
to directly go to the Evernote Plugins Folder
3. Then trash the EvernoteSpotlight.appex file

THIS STOPS THE CRASHING. 

 

HOWEVER LOSING THE SHARE TO EVERNOTE FUNCTIONS IS DEVASTATING TO THE EASE OF USE OF EVERNOTE.

 

I need to be able to Print PDFs to Evernote and to Share PDFs to Evernote.  

Otherwise, I have to print PDFs and manually drag them into Evernote. 

This is much more tedious and time consuming.

 

The crashing will stop when you trash the EvernoteSpotlight Plugin. And Evernote will itself run just fine.

Crashes will recur only when Evernote itself is updated and the EvernoteSpotlight Plugin is once again reinstalled.

 

IF SOMEONE COULD CREATE A SEPARATE PRINT PDF AND SHARE PDF PLUGIN FOR EVERNOTE 

and simply eliminate the EvernoteSpotlight plugin, 

this gets rid of this bug 

and solves the problem of crashes and will keep us all happy.

Share this post


Link to post

@marianco - this seems like excellent analysis, thank you _very_ much. I can not speak for others (of course), but if your assessment is generally correct, this helps me tremendously. I too can live without Evernote Spotlight but depend tremendously on "share to Evernote" feature. I hope a suitable workaround can be found.

Share this post


Link to post

I fully agree with Marek, this happens many times a day and is annoying. Please get this fixed ASAP

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...