Search not working

Search not working, beginning with notes created about a week ago and newer. I'm looking at a note that I created about an hour ago, but when I search for it, Evernote can't even find it. Any suggestions?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Is that a typed addition in a note with an attachment?  Had the change synced to the server when you searched?  I'm not having any problems searching at the moment...

• Level 5

Another reason for searches going wrong can be that the search index of your client took a shot.

This can happen to the desktop clients - Win and Mac - , because they build their own local search indexes.

On both there is a hidden option in the „Help“ menu to rebuild the search index.

Press and Hold the option / alt - Key before opening the help menu with the mouse. At the end of the regular menu, now there will be additional options shown. One of them will be titled somehow like „Rebuild search index“. Pick it, and wait until the reindexing is through. This can take some minutes, depending on the database size and your machine.

After this, try the search again.

On the web client, and on the mobiles, the search index is cloud based, so the option does not exist there.

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, jman said:

Search not working, beginning with notes created about a week ago and newer. I'm looking at a note that I created about an hour ago, but when I search for it, Evernote can't even find it. Any suggestions?

If that's a PDF file attachment, be aware that the PDF OCR/Search is a paid account feature

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, jman said:

hank you for your reply.  I'm using the web client.

And the "so-called "classic"" version to boot as far as I can tell from your screen shot, which is quite old and wonky and also -- I think --  no longer under development. You should try a newer version. So not the Windows client. Moving to the web client subforum.

• 1 year later...

I've run into exactly the same problem.  It seems to have started with the last update.  You can't search (on a Windows 10 desktop or Windows 10 laptop, both 64-bit). In addition, it's very, very slow to add notes. 

Something seems to have gone drastically wrong with this update.  Anybody know if Evernote plans to address these issues?  If not, I for one, will need to switch platforms.  OneNote reportedly has an import feature that works.

Re: dialogue above - The program worked perfectly well until the last update.  Logic would dictate that if the software is now malfunctioning on several devices, the fault is with the software.  Get with it Evernote!

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Al Padilla said:

I've run into exactly the same problem.  It seems to have started with the last update.  You can't search (on a Windows 10 desktop or Windows 10 laptop, both 64-bit). In addition, it's very, very slow to add notes. 

Something seems to have gone drastically wrong with this update.  Anybody know if Evernote plans to address these issues?  If not, I for one, will need to switch platforms.  OneNote reportedly has an import feature that works.

Re: dialogue above - The program worked perfectly well until the last update.  Logic would dictate that if the software is now malfunctioning on several devices, the fault is with the software.  Get with it Evernote!

Hi.  You joined a 2019 thread which does not relate to the new version.  There are several discussions about a new server-based search paradigm which doesn't react well to recent changes,  and v10.4 in particular, which seems to have introduced more bugs than it solved.  Evernote are aware and are actively working on that.

• Like 2

I have the same problem, this issue started from the last update 2-3 weeks ago.

I even upgraded to the PREMIUM level just to find my notes, but it still is not bringing the correct notes and pdf back, instead it bringing the records that have NOTHING TO DO WITH MY SEARCH words. What is going on??? How to fix it??? I became unusable over night.

I never wanted to upgrade from PLUS to PREMIUM, usually companies would add more features and then will give you an option to UPGRADE to get those new features. Here it seams that they took a feature we already have and said now it will COST more money. Not a good business strategy. 

Please refund the $ from PREMIUM and I want to be back to PLUS subscription with EVERNOTE working again. I've tried on Web and Desktop, both have the same issues. Please help! Thanks!

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Al Padilla said:

So how do I get to the discussion on the new, "non-improved" version?

OK - now I'm wondering which version of Evernote we're talking about.  There's an index here: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/forum/440-possible-bugstechnical-issues/ from which you can choose the old or the new...

1 hour ago, Irina L. said:

Please refund the $ from PREMIUM and I want to be back to PLUS subscription with EVERNOTE working again.

We're a -mainly- user supported forum. As a subscriber - even if only temporarily - you can submit a support request.  They'll deal with a refund or downgrade.  You can alter your own account level from here: https://www.evernote.com/Settings.action