Add tag to shortcuts from Note

Don Dz

Idea

Could not locate this topic while searching, so here is my suggestion:

Clicking on the arrow on the right side of a tag in a note shows you all the notes with that same tag, but if you want to add that tag to shortcuts, you have to locate it first in the tag list. 

It would be helpful to be able to do it from the note (or even from the notelist), maybe as one of the menu options when you right click on the tag .

• Like 1

13 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Don Dz said:

Clicking on the arrow on the right side of a tag in a note shows you all the notes with that same tag,

This actually toggles whether the tag is added or removed from the search (depending on whether it's already there or not). Hover over the arrow with your mouse; you should see a tooltip that says what it will do. Also, Shift+Click on a tag in the note header will add it to the current search filter.

1 hour ago, Don Dz said:

but if you want to add that tag to shortcuts, you have to locate it first in the tag list. 

Once you have a tag filter (or any search), you can easily turn that into a saved search without needing to go into the tag tree. After that, you can easily add that saved search to your shortcuts.

10 hours ago, jefito said:

Once you have a tag filter (or any search), you can easily turn that into a saved search without needing to go into the tag tree. After that, you can easily add that saved search to your shortcuts.

Searching the tag list, or searching the saved searches list, after adding another one, hmm.   :unsure:

Having a right click menu option to add the tag in the current note to shortcuts as a tag search, makes sense to me, sorry if my description seems unclear, sure could use this additional feature.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

I prefer the simple and direct approach.  Have you tried dragging the tag to the shortcuts list?

Wow, where was that feature hiding, it works, thanks! 

I think that's one of more useful tricks I have seen in a long time, it also works dragging saved searches & notes from the note list.  👍

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
11 hours ago, Don Dz said:

Searching the tag list, or searching the saved searches list, after adding another one, hmm.

If you have a long saved searches list, that kinda starts to defeat the purpose. You're more apt to have a longer and probably hierarchical tag list, so that's almost certainly going to be a more complicated task.

11 hours ago, Don Dz said:

Having a right click menu option to add the tag in the current note to shortcuts as a tag search, makes sense to me, sorry if my description seems unclear, sure could use this additional feature.

I suppose, but there's already two ways to interact with that tag that do the same thing. Shift+Click is what I use.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Don Dz said:

Wow, where was that feature hiding, it works

Another not quite so hidden feature to try is Ctrl-Q.  It will search text, tags, saved searches, and notebooks.  Pick what you want from the list that appears.

2 hours ago, jefito said:

I suppose, but there's already two ways to interact with that tag that do the same thing. Shift+Click is what I use.

I tried shift-clicking around with my tags, wasn't able to observe what it is supposed to do.

2 hours ago, CalS said:

Another not quite so hidden feature to try is Ctrl-Q.  It will search text, tags, saved searches, and notebooks.  Pick what you want from the list that appears.

Many people swear by Ctrl-Q, I appreciate it is yet another way to do things, just not a way I perceive to save me time, at least not yet.  It seems to behave somewhat like search on Android, though it works better on Android (it reminds me of the discussion of "relevant search results", it works pretty much like that in Android, not so much in Windows).

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

I tried shift-clicking around with my tags, wasn't able to observe what it is supposed to do.

The tags in the note header? 

41 minutes ago, jefito said:

Dunno, works for me, and has for some time.

Had to disable Autohotkey to get it to work, I see it works like clicking on the right side of a tag.

I thought your comment meant that shift click was one of two ways to do what I was asking, I guess I misunderstood.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Don Dz said:

I thought your comment meant that shift click was one of two ways to do what I was asking, I guess I misunderstood.

Not quite, just a reaction to your suggestion that these actions be added to the context menu when you right click on a tag in the note header. And now that I think about it, that's more discoverable, so a reasonable suggestion. Shift+Click is quick, but not that discoverable, so it's unsurprising that you didn't know about it. The little arrows to the right of the tags are also fairly unrecoverable; they should have a tool-tip that says what clicking on them will do.